Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thrush glass packs on a v8 w/ no cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 PM
choate
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrush glass packs on a v8 w/ no cats

Who's got em? Let's hear it

Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOOD grief go to you tube.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:59 PM
choate
Elder User
Looked there for 3 days bud and Google. There isn't as much out there as you think and people don't put up what their set up is. It'll just say "glass packs on my F150"

Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
MAYBE there is a reason.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 PM
yfz 450
Senior User
I have a flowmaster 40 series on my 460 with no cat and it's pretty loud. I think glass packs might be too loud

Old 06-27-2014, 11:20 PM
choate
Elder User
Didn't know u guys were so sensitive about it. It's funny. Every thread I've ever read that starts w glass packs ends w flow masters

Old 06-27-2014, 11:21 PM
choate
Elder User
Originally Posted by yfz 450
I have a flowmaster 40 series on my 460 with no cat and it's pretty loud. I think glass packs might be too loud
Did ur truck have two cats?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
What motor do u have?

460's didn't have dual cats(not sure about CA F-250/350, E-250/350, F53).

Unless you are in high school, forget about thrush tubes/glass packs and put a muffler on that makes it sound mean and flows well, but doesn't make your neighbors think that the exhausts are falling off of all those rusty old 9th gen's. IMHO they just make a pickup look/sound like a little boys toy.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
There are a lot of guys that do not realize why the glass pack cherry bomb used to be so popular in the 60's and 70's.*

The hot rod guys used to use them to get out of tickets. How you ask? The older guys know how and why.*

The guys would build a nice motor and want to cruise and an occasional light to light or 1/4 on the local cruise routes. Well if they ran open exhaust pop here comes the flashing red and blues. If they put the cherry bombs on voila now they had a muffler. Now Mr. Law man couldn't write them for no muffler. The guys figured out well these things sound like chit and figured out a way to blow the packing out. What does that mean voila back to almost open exhaust and I have a muffler I can show the cop. So in a nut shell these things sound like chit and were primarily used to pass a visual inspection they were not used because they sounded good.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
I may have heard that awhile back, but I still prefer a fart can on a mini bike over any v8 with glass packs.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 AM
krooser
Elder User
My Dodge 5.2 has a single 24" GP… sounds great when you nail it but it quiet when you tippy toe thru town. Had one state cop stop me telling me it was illegal to modify my exhaust. I told 'em I've been doing it for 50 years and don't plan on stopping…

That said, my new-to-me F350 will probably stay pretty quiet...

Old 06-28-2014, 09:13 AM
choate
Elder User
Originally Posted by cbakker
What motor do u have?

460's didn't have dual cats(not sure about CA F-250/350, E-250/350, F53).

Unless you are in high school, forget about thrush tubes/glass packs and put a muffler on that makes it sound mean and flows well, but doesn't make your neighbors think that the exhausts are falling off of all those rusty old 9th gen's. IMHO they just make a pickup look/sound like a little boys toy.
351w is the motor. Flowmasters just don't do it for me. It's like a tease. I respect your opinion but IMO glasspacks are what make an old truck sound like exactly what it should sound like. An old truck. Not gonna lie though, I'm a little bit red neck in a way If it's too obnoxious I'll just pay the shop another $40 to weld in a different muffler.

Originally Posted by Crewcabber
There are a lot of guys that do not realize why the glass pack cherry bomb used to be so popular in the 60's and 70's.*

The hot rod guys used to use them to get out of tickets. How you ask? The older guys know how and why.*

The guys would build a nice motor and want to cruise and an occasional light to light or 1/4 on the local cruise routes. Well if they ran open exhaust pop here comes the flashing red and blues. If they put the cherry bombs on voila now they had a muffler. Now Mr. Law man couldn't write them for no muffler. The guys figured out well these things sound like chit and figured out a way to blow the packing out. What does that mean voila back to almost open exhaust and I have a muffler I can show the cop. So in a nut shell these things sound like chit and were primarily used to pass a visual inspection they were not used because they sounded good.
yep I'm old school man. I can remember being a little kid and riding around in an old orange c10 farm pickup w/ a glass pack and about 1'' pipe. That sound just got perminatly etched into my brain and I want it back. I grew up going to mud bogs, tractor pulls etc and loud trucks are just part of me but I don't want to be getting pulled over either. I'll probably do headers in the future and at that point I'll ditch the packs for some a real muffler.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
I'll be honest, I've got a set of purple horny glass-packs on my truck (same thing as thrush really just a different name) True dueled and dumped under the bed of my truck and they sounded fine to my ears for a while and took away the shear loudness of straight pipes (still want to go straight piped again just for laughs and giggles) but this past month they have done nothing but annoy me left and right, they just don't sound good to my ears anymore, yeah they were fine for just going to town and back but lately with the long trips I have been making in the truck they just flat out suck to me when it comes to driving like normal. Now you rip on the gas and they sound awesome as hell but other than that its annoying to me now. I'm gonna cut them off soon see where I'm at noise wise straight piped and maybe invest in a better muffler when I get the chance.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM
choate
Elder User
Purple Hornies lol. Who actually names a muffler that? My truck is mainly just a town truck/fishing/hunting truck. I will drive it to work every now and then but it's not too far.

One other thing is a Dynomax (Thrush) is "basically" the same thing, but the purple hornies are louvered vs a perforated for a Thrush. That's the reason I'm going w/ a Thrush vs a cherry bomb etc. I think Dynomax and Magnaflow are about the only ones that make perforated design which is much less restrictive but probably doesn't cackle as much just looking at the design. Won't blow out as fast either

Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Yeah I know what you mean, I used to make the joke "if its purple and its honry it better be a glasspack".

Quick Reply: Thrush glass packs on a v8 w/ no cats