Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Newbie from outback SA

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:19 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrian, thanks for you thoughts on air filtration, & wading. I think my next mod will be the Ford AIS filter from Clay.

Motorcraft AIS Extended Life Filter Kit - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Neither is Bryan but it never stopped him
Hahahah u cunny funt

Old 07-05-2014, 02:08 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Nkelly
Hahahah u cunny funt
Ah, there he is

Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Ah, there he is
WUZ UUUUP Bruvva,might giv u a ring soon,if ya good

Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
TYRE PRESS

Originally Posted by Yowie
Reg, I ran cooper ATR's in 305 75 R16 at 35 psi, that's was low enough in a large tyre. just experiment with the pressures you will know when ya get it right.

just watch your speed on the way there, you will get a lot of heat in them and start lifting treads if you push too hard on the roads up here.
G'day Yowie,

Cheers mate.

Reg

Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Simpson Crossing

G'day again Yowie,

Just finishing up my preps for the Victor Harbor, Warren Gorge, Marree, Oodnadatta, Mt Dare, Simpson Desert to Birdsville run leaving on the 21st this month.

I was wondering if you had any temperature issues with the 4R100 box?

If not, it would be interesting to see if you only have the little OEM tranny cooler or do you have any extra tranny cooling arrangements over the OEM?

Do you have a Transmission Fluid temp guage fitted?

Also do you know what weight you were all up?

I've been researching the current track conditions and it appears that the western side of the dunes are in a pretty poor condition at present.
It has always been accepted that the easiest crossing was 'West to East' because of the gentler slope from that direction as opposed to the steeper 'Eastern' dune faces.
However from my current readings, it was interesting to read that those who have done a number of repeat crossings are saying it is now rougher to cross the Simpson 'West to East' because of the damage been done to the western side by clowns not dropping tyre pressures enough, using low range 4WD creating too much wheel spin, or not engaging 4WD at all, scrambling motor bikes, etc.
This has created massive ruts and drop offs testing suspension travel to the limits.
So how did you find your recent crossing?

Cheers,
Reg

Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Yowie
New User
G'Day Reg

i did not have any overheating issues with the trans, i don't have a temp gauge yet but i climbed underneath and physically checked on several occasions and was surprised how cool it was running, even after a half hour play on big red it wasn't too bad.
I'm assuming it has the original cooler on it but i have a BD power cast sump on the tranny that hold a few extra liters.

As for weight im not really sure but i had a lot of water on board (way more than i needed) and a lot of spares and tools but other than that i just had cooking gear and swags, it didn't feel too heavy.

And yep the western side of the dunes were atrocious there are a lot of muppets with little to no idea out there chewing the dunes up and it is hard work on the vehicle. that was a few months ago so they only would have gotten worse since then. i spoke to a few people going the other way and they were doing it a lot easier and the dunes realy arent that much steeper on the other side.
after seeing what was going on we ended up taking the rig road to avoid the crowds and really enjoined it, you will get enough of a taste of the hard stuff when you rejoin the french line at the knolls. had we done the full length of the french line i would have been well and truly over it by the time i got to Birdsville.

Regardless of the track conditions take your time and you will have a ball, just don't rush it and take plenty of beer. I'm already planning my next crossing.