Oil guage

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:51 PM
chado
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil guage

Ok,

I got an oil pressure gauge in my cab. It leaks oil. Drives me nuts. Now, I've replaced the pressure fitting thing (the little 1/8" brass thing that goes on the hose) and I know thats on there good, I've tighted it down not much...then a little more etc; until it was tight. Still leaks, now I am sure I could of teflon taped the threads before I put it in and that might of helped but I noticed that there is oil INSIDE the guage, how does this happen and does that mean its toast? I have new old carpet coming any day now and I want to put it in but having your truck leak oil in the cab is not cool.

Now I suppose I could just take it out, but that may be more work then its worth as well as loosing a fairly useful instrument.

Let me know what you guys think,
Chado

Old 07-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil guage

Get rid of it!

You can get an aftermarket electrical oil pressure gauge instead.

I never liked the compression fittings that could allow oil to leak inside the cab.

Oh ya...What's wrong with the original gauge?

Old 07-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Oil guage

Ditto...

Old 07-09-2003, 12:11 PM
chado
Posting Guru
Oil guage

Original gauge? Hrm? This gauge is bolted up by my left leg under the dash. It's got water pressure and oil. That's not stock is it? Looks just like the aftermarket ones that are at canadian tire.

And whats this aftermarket electrical oil pressure gauge we are talking about? The oil leaking is disgusting, makes me feel like I'm driving a beater truck...which I DONT like to consider my truck.

I was pretty sure the only "original" guages I had were:

water temp + gas gauge + spedo + odometer. 79 F150 Custom...there were more gauges then that stock...forgive me ignorance if this is stock but like I said looks just like the ones at CT.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil guage

Do you have idiot lights then?

It's one or the other.
If you do you can't interchange without replacing the harness as one (Idiot lights) 14 pin & Gauges is 18 pin.

Find a Princess Auto and get your gauges there.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:46 PM
chado
Posting Guru
Oil guage

idiots light is right ;/

so what do you recommend?

Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 PM
73Custom
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil guage

What you have is an aftermarket (non stock) guage. There are two kinds of guages electric (which uses a sending unit on the motor and a wire to the guage) or mechanical (which routes the oil directly to the guage). I prefer the electrical because they are cleaner - who wants oil piped into their cab... There are many different brands and styles of guages, might also want to check Summit Racing and Jegs, they have lots to pick from.

Marty