6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Exhaust Filter Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
DYNAMICSPORTS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree with the Michelin MS2 tires, they have a much lower rolling resistance then the AS2's. My regens drops my MPG's to half what a waste of diesel...

Old 06-28-2014, 07:01 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
If you haven't already - and you live in an area where you can get away with it - you may want to consider doing a DPF delete.
I would be careful with this. Even if you are exempt from local emissions, it's still illegal to do a delete.

When I was at the dealership trading in my two for the current 6.7, they had asked me was my emissions system all there and fully functional (it was, I'm one of the few that still recommended having a fully functioning one on a 6.0).

I had asked them why. They told me that they don't buy vehicles back without it, because it's too much hassle and if they were, it would add a huge hit to the trade in value. They would have to revert it back to stock then and resell it.

Diesels and gas aren't exempt in of themselves. It depends on weight for your regular inspections (at least where mine is tagged). However, if you blow too much smoke and cause attention to yourself, they can (and will) write you a ticket for lacking emissions equipment. If you get one of those, you have to show proof that you fixed it. And I frequent states that are known for their lax vehicular laws, for the most part.

It's not worth it in my mind and if an owner of an 06 6.0 (thought to be one of the worst years for the EGR Coolers and out of 9 yrs, still had my original one) can say that, I think the high odds of failure would preclude any owner thinking like that.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:15 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
two types of cleaning.

Passive: Where the engine is working hard enough and hot enough to burn the soot off on its own. This is the best as it does not use any fuel, just the heat that is generated.

Active: This is the one where you will see the brief message. It can vary as to well this is called for. depends upon the soot level in the DPF. Unless you have something you can monitor it with you will not know the exact duration, but estimate 5-10 miles at most.

Also an active message is the mandatory drive to clean exhaust message. This happens when there has been too many interruptions of the cleaning cycle. When this occurs the message usually will stay present till completed. This message is rare though.
Senix I don't know what you think but I am very sure the 6.7L technology is far superior to the 6.4. I bought an edge insight and monitor everything. Sometimes the DPF will light up and burn from 100% down to 40 or so and quit because it senses I'm in traffic. When towing at highway speeds it rarely ever has to clean as the passive keeps it happy. Much better.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 PM
GW09F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350SD
Mine did a regen for the first time today. I am at just over 600 miles and it seemed to last somewhere between 5 and 10 miles. The instant fuel mileage indicator was showing way lower than it usually does on the highway. My average mpg before and after stayed at 15.0, so it didn't seem to affect my fuel mileage too much.
I've got just over 300 miles on my '14, it gave its first "CEF" message at about 145 miles. I suspect its done it since then but no message (or I missed it). I shut it off yesterday and had a strong smell likenhot oil from under truck and exhaust was clicking like it was extra hot. I think the smell was from undercoating that they oversprayed on the exhaust filter heat shield.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 PM
GW09F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Senix I don't know what you think but I am very sure the 6.7L technology is far superior to the 6.4. I bought an edge insight and monitor everything. Sometimes the DPF will light up and burn from 100% down to 40 or so and quit because it senses I'm in traffic. When towing at highway speeds it rarely ever has to clean as the passive keeps it happy. Much better.
Is there any way to tell (other than sound or feel) when my '14 6.7 has finished the "CEF" cycle? On my 6.4 I could push "system+reset" and it would run through a checklist and the end tell if it was "CEF" or not. Do the new trucks have anything like that?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 PM
MPD56
Elder User
Originally Posted by GW09F350
Is there any way to tell (other than sound or feel) when my '14 6.7 has finished the "CEF" cycle? On my 6.4 I could push "system+reset" and it would run through a checklist and the end tell if it was "CEF" or not. Do the new trucks have anything like that?
No they don’t to my knowledge. I liked that feature on my 6.4L. I monitor my DPF status on my 2013 F350 with a Smart phone App called Torque Pro.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
It is much better no doubt. I am in Kansas right now, outside of Wichita.

So I guess about 1200 miles or so and no active regens.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Sterling6.7
Mountain Pass
If you use a CTS, you can monitor the regen status and even force one to start.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:31 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
You can watch your instant MPG screen. It will drop quite a bit during the duration of an AR.

Originally Posted by Sterling6.7
If you use a CTS, you can monitor the regen status and even force one to start.
To force one to start, the truck must be parked.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 AM
GW09F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by MPD56
No they don’t to my knowledge. I liked that feature on my 6.4L. I monitor my DPF status on my 2013 F350 with a Smart phone App called Torque Pro.
Thanks for that info! I found the tourque pro app, but which app do you use? Paid/free/bluetooth? And do you use any of the plugins for the app? Do you have to purchase a cable to connect?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:54 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
You can watch your instant MPG screen. It will drop quite a bit during the duration of an AR.
I don't see how that could really work when someone lives in an area where you are going to hit stretches of road that make your instant MPG go to almost nil for quite a while just because you are dealing with terrain and a speed limit that isn't conducive to instant MPG readings.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can watch my L/100km display go way up during a regen. Recently it did regens both times I had it on the highway for an hr, between the regens was maybe 50km of in town driving. Normally on the highway it'll run about 12-13 L/100km, during a regen the display goes over 20L/100km, it seems to last about 20-25km or so (~15mi). I reset the avg fuel mileage when it starts, then when I see the avg start to drop then I know the regen is over.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
I don't see how that could really work when someone lives in an area where you are going to hit stretches of road that make your instant MPG go to almost nil for quite a while just because you are dealing with terrain and a speed limit that isn't conducive to instant MPG readings.
Not really any other options from the factory.
The instant drops to one bar on mine whereas the same area normally is 2-3 bars or all bars.
It's all about learning what is normal and what isn't for the roads you drive normally.

If you want perfect results, go after market.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Not really any other options from the factory.
The instant drops to one bar on mine whereas the same area normally is 2-3 bars or all bars.
It's all about learning what is normal and what isn't for the roads you drive normally.

If you want perfect results, go after market.
Yep. It's well worth the cost to me to know what is going on with the truck. For instance if I have choice of routes I check how full the DPF is and act accordingly. I can also alternate my route based on the amount of soot remaining while it is in cleaning. Just makes my life a little easier.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
MPD56
Elder User
Thanks for that info! I found the tourque pro app, but which app do you use? Paid/free/bluetooth? And do you use any of the plugins for the app? Do you have to purchase a cable to connect?

I use the $5 paid version of Torque Pro on my Samsung G3 smartphone with a $20 Bluetooth BAFX adapter I bought off Amazon. I also bought cheap Bluetooth mini clones for my other vehicles.

I’m not an expert with the App, just a consumer and it can be a steep learning curve for some to use, it is not plug and play. I have started a 6.7L Thread on the developer’s forum were other 6.7L owners can help. A Ford diesel tech first showed me the App and I had a chance to use it before I invested $25. Only you know if it is worth it to you. The developer is a one man band and can’t test the App on all vehicles so you get out of it what you put into it. I have created about 30 custom PIDs for the 6.7L and have posted them on the developer’s forum and others so it will be easier for new users then it was for me. I don’t have any connection with the Developer and still learning myself.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Filter Cleaning