6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

weight class sticker question???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM
emd160
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weight class sticker question???

I'm picking my new truck up in a day or two, F350 srw 3.55 GVWR 11,300. I have a 24ft enclosed trailer I haul and a 28ft gooseneck flatbed that my uncle owns that I use both are GVWR of 14,500. They are telling me I only need a class 4b sticker which I'm pretty sure is wrong cause my last F350(2011) was a class 5 and was 11,200 GVWR. Ive called around and been reading but I cant find the answer to my questions. How do combination plates work? Can I get combo plates and register as class 5, or do I have to step up to class 8 to legally haul at max weight??

Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What city/state are you in....
it makes a difference

Might do a google search as I don't think we have combo plates in TexUS ...

Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your profile says you are in PA.

I have done some research into this myself. Here is the Reader's Digest version.

If you are going to tow a trailer that is registered for a weight over 10k lbs, the weight registration of the tow vehicle has to include the trailer. That becomes the maximum combined vehicle weight you are allowed to be (given you are under the max manufacturer's weight rating on each axle).

So, a 4b sticker on your truck and a registration >10k lbs on the trailer means your combination cannot exceed 11k lbs.

A class 8 sticker would allow your combined weight up to 26k lbs.

In PA, you cannot operate a vehicle over its registered weight, and you cannot operate a vehicle over its manufacturer's weight ratings.

So, know all you max axle weights from your door sticker AND the trailer, load it up and take it to a scale. If all your axles are under their max, register your truck to cover the total combined weight.

In PA, you do not have to register the truck based on its GVWR. That's what trips people up sometimes.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...rms/mv-70s.pdf

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Vehicle Code

Some research materials for you.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He is correct you need a class 8 sticker. I have a class 5 now and need to get a class 8.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I have a class 5 now and need to get a class 8.
Me X3.......Except with the dually I need a class 9. Argh. Went to DMV for class A DL permit but didn't have a check, thought they took cash, so I don't have that either.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Boy! You Pa guys sure are screwed!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM
emd160
Senior User
Thanks guys that's just what I though I needed and what the notary told me today. I'll be calling my dealer in the am to get things straight. Hopefully I'll be posting pics in the next day or two. Tomorrow will be 3 days now that the trucks been at the dealer

Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Wow.........In Montana: There is only one plate. No stickers. No inspections.
Buy it....Drive it and have fun. Another reason I left the east coast.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Maryland is one plate as well.

but...the trailer has its own too.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
These PA weight class stickers are just another road tax. Generally, they don't bother with recreational vehicles until you get pulled over for something else. Then all your numbers need to add up.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually according to my manual, my crew cab dually has a GCVWR of 30,500 which would be class 10. I will stick with the class 8 unless I get my CDL.
True if you are just towing an RV just get the class 5. It gets tricky when you start towing and making money doing so. Then you better have your I's dotted and T's crossed.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM
emd160
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Wow.........In Montana: There is only one plate. No stickers. No inspections.
Buy it....Drive it and have fun. Another reason I left the east coast.
Id love to move to Montana, but do to family Ill probably never get to move. I am coming out to visit in July though. Dealer called today I get to pick her up in the morning cant wait. Went ahead and got my class 8 sticker

Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
Actually according to my manual, my crew cab dually has a GCVWR of 30,500 which would be class 10. I will stick with the class 8 unless I get my CDL.
You don't have to register your truck for a class 10 weight sticker unless you are planning on actually being that heavy. This is where PA gets confusing. In your case, your equipment maxes out at 30,500 combined weight, but if you never plan on hauling anything but air, you can register at class 2.

I guess PA expects you to be able to see the future when registering your truck.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
So that means all those F-350s towing big 5th wheels should have class 8 or better stickers. It also means if your GCVWR is over 26001 you need a class A drivers license.

From what I understand, changing to a class A driver's license is like starting all over with a new learner's permit, physical and vision exams, written and driving tests. Might be easier just to downgrade the camper!!

Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by thomabb
Your profile says you are in PA.

I have done some research into this myself. Here is the Reader's Digest version.

If you are going to tow a trailer that is registered for a weight over 10k lbs, the weight registration of the tow vehicle has to include the trailer. That becomes the maximum combined vehicle weight you are allowed to be (given you are under the max manufacturer's weight rating on each axle).

So, a 4b sticker on your truck and a registration >10k lbs on the trailer means your combination cannot exceed 11k lbs.

A class 8 sticker would allow your combined weight up to 26k lbs.

In PA, you cannot operate a vehicle over its registered weight, and you cannot operate a vehicle over its manufacturer's weight ratings.

So, know all you max axle weights from your door sticker AND the trailer, load it up and take it to a scale. If all your axles are under their max, register your truck to cover the total combined weight.

In PA, you do not have to register the truck based on its GVWR. That's what trips people up sometimes.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...rms/mv-70s.pdf

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Vehicle Code

Some research materials for you.
I'm from PA , not sure how to read this. Doesn't the trailer tags mean anything? Is this the information you are using?
(f)
Registered gross weight of trucks and truck tractors.
--
Every truck shall
have its own registered gross weight and may also be registered at a
registered gross weight for a
combination. Every truck tractor shall be
registered at a registered gross weight for a combination.

The word "may" leads one to believe that it might be optional.

Quick Reply: weight class sticker question???