long tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:54 PM
MikeMc100
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long tubes

I just bought some new DynoMax Longs tubes for my truck. I think I know what i need for a quality install, but i'm not sure about other misc. I've heard I may need some type of heat shield for the starter and high temp plug wires. Is this true?? Also any thoughts on quality gaskets and such would be appreciated....I think i'll just run one pipe out through a new high flow cat. Then i'm not sure if a turbo muffler or glass pack or what?? I definately want to hear it goin down the road, but just a nice rumble at idle...Any ideas appreciated . Thanks

Old 07-09-2003, 02:43 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
long tubes

I cant remember if we talked b4 or not, I am originally from upstate NY too. Anyways... I can tell you what I have heard and done. For gaskets I was told to get a copper gasket that they work the best. Well I put the gaskets that came with my dynomax long tubes on and they fell apart the first time I took em back off. So I put on a dead soft aluminum gasket I think it was (the local jeggs was currently out of the copper ones and I didnt want to wait). They w orked fine and have taken em off and back on again too. I would definetly get copper or aluminum gasket. For the starter they make heat shield wraps look at summitracing.com and jegs.com they also make complete header thermo wraps that should reduce underhood temps with headers. But dont put them on cerama-coated headers I hear it will ruin the coating and void the warrant. But I havent used any of the wraps yet and my starter works fine and wires are all good (been about a year since I put the headers on). But I want to use a wrap to hopefully reduce the temp of the air going into my carb.

Just my $0.02

Old 07-09-2003, 05:21 PM
MikeMc100
Freshman User
long tubes

i don't believe we've talked before. I'm in Watertown, about an hour north of Syracuse. Thanks for the info.