New V10 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 PM
7racecar7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New V10 Owner

Hello,

I am a new f250 V10 owner, I am still reading through all the threads so if there are post about this sorry for the repeat...but I have a few questions I'm looking for advice on.

My truck is a 2001 with 130k, in good condition, well at least from the looks of things, little rust, well maintained.

I would like to change spark plugs, and replace headers (if not soon in future), but I've read about broken spark plugs and broken head studs. I just bought the truck from a dealer....should I dive into it or let it go, i dont want to open up a can of worms.

Also a friend recommended air bags, do they make a big difference? I tow a racecar on weekends the car and trailer with equipment weight about 8-9k lbs.

Thank you for any advice....

Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not an expert, but I have my opinion.

My background ... I'm a cheap Charlie and if it doesn't affect safety then I generally leave it alone. Rust won't leave you stranded. Neither will a bad plug or two. I've NEVER replaced headers.

I suspect that you're towing within the weight limits and don't need airbags.

With that said, I did initially change my unknown 2002 F250 fluids (tranny, rear end, motor).

Now if you're towing across country and absolute reliability is important then I'd suggest a much newer tow vehicle.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There is a TSB on how to pull the plugs for newer 5.4's and I would guess the v10. Pretty easy if you know about it, you can find on the ford website or here in the archives. Biggest thing is the carbon buildup, but I dont think that effects your year. What I have read about are the older v10's spitting plugs, so do a search on that and how to helicoil the hole if it happens.

I never drive a used veh without doing all my own preventative maintenance and services prior to trips etc. plugs, wires etc. You might want to change all fluids if ya can and R&R the rubber hoses for coolant things like that. Make it your own and KNOW where everything is at as far as condition. Supposedly these have 100000 plugs but who goes that far and how well was the truck taken care of before it was sold/traded. My son in law bought a car did the above but missed a small coolant hose and it blew on the way here, he had to give away as the heads were blown from the over heat. That is just an example of why you need to make sure all is well IMO.

Cant tell ya anything on the headers, but a good exhaust will probably suffice to improve things. again search the archives

Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The broken spark plug problem is a 2005+ issue ,the older v10s can have the threads strip if the spark plug is incorrectly touqed. I wouldn't mess with the exhaust manifolds or headers if thay aren't leaking.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:01 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like mentioned, ck everything over. At 130k I would at least pull a plug and see what they look like. 8 or 9k. Your Truck will work hard with that especially with 3.73 gears. I bought my truck used a few months ago and it only had 68K on it but look what I found. Woohoo headers for me!

Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 PM
kuneefay
Freshman User
Dont worry about headers. If you have broken studs and its leaking then obviously replace the gasket. I personaly do a full tuneup no matter what when I get a new rig. I just bought my first excursion(2000) with 150k miles on it and I did the full monty on it. Replaced plugs, boots, 02 sensors, cleaned my maf, engine oil, engine filters(oil, air, fuel), front diff, rear diff, trans axle, transmission, power steering, brake, coolant all with my favorite oil/additives(redline). While I did that it helped me get to know the platform and the vehicle better. I got to see what previous owners took care of and didnt, and I got to see what may have the potential for failure. I've always been OCD about my rigs and knowing that other peoples dirty laundry was left in and on it always irks me. If you want improved performance then I would suggest(if your v10 had the garbage necked down headers put on from the factory) to think about replacing them but mainly just replace the y-pipe with a flowmaster universal or a custom made one. Then while your there check your cat out and do the catback system and 02 sensors. Dont forget to clean your maf sensor! You'd be surprised at how much that can affect your rig.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 PM
7racecar7
Freshman User
Thank You

Thank you for all the advice, every bit helps. Warning..I'm typing it all out...this is my best source of information for trying to take car of this truck... I'll end up going through everything and most likely replacing/cleaning/servicing everything mentioned at some point.

Right now I hear a very faint exhaust leak, I can not pin point where it is coming from I only really hear it under load and can not hear it when in park tapping the throttle, its very faint but its there....most people may not mind but it erks me...

The dealer said the exhaust was custom so i have to dig into what exactly I have...Im no stranger to engines and exhausts but thats on stock cars, and those components are out in the open, simple studs, spark plug boots, ect.

In any case...I'm thinking I will keep an eye on everything till my race season is over in Oct and go through everything...I ended up with truck in a jam because my other truck quit, I would hate to try and change something and brake a plug off or something that opens the can of worms...after Oct the truck can sit till March of next year....

It also has a cold air K&N on it, I clean my race car air filter every week so seeing dirt on it makes me want to clean it but from reading looks like they dont need much service....also on another note there is a slite rub in the steering wheel...the dealer said its an O ring...havent dug into that but traced the shaft down and check things out...nothing screaming fix me. Finally the numbers on my door for keyless entry is a work in progress dont have the code and I've seen many how to messages on here...still havent found the module with the code on it in the dash....also not even sure the numbers work.

Ok...everything is out there so if you made it this far and can help me with anything I really appreciate it...if not Im still reading through this forum. Other than that I love the truck even after my top off of 29 gallons of fuel at 100.00....I got 270 miles out of the first tank.... towing the racecar 140 miles of that the rest around town....if thats worst case ill live with it...

Thank you.