Sponsored by:

New Grille and Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
I just went with some chrome amber bulbs. When they're off you don't get the amber reflection in the housing and it looks killer. When they turn on they act and appear just like your standard bulb though.

Been wanting to put the Switchback LED's in for a while, those suckers a crazy bright. Dual LED's so as running lights they shine white and with the blinker activated the white turns off and the amber LED's light up. Blinker turns off and the amber goes off and the whites turn back on. Proper install and function can be a little tricky from what I've read, some need resistors wired inline, some need to swap relays out.... I'm planning on doing them whenever I get around to going to LED tails out back.

I've been wanting those also. I've also read about having inline resistors...but I thought I read about someone who installed them, the only thing they had to do is replace the turn signal fuse.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:58 AM
ChrisWhiteV10
Freshman User
I have some switchbacks on order, they will come with the inline resistors you have to add.

currently I do not have the resistors and I am running full LED bulbs...it is annoying because my flashers blink like there is a bulb out...but they all work. Easiest thing to do is get the higher rated fuse for the signal fuse. I have just been too lazy to do that lol

Wired up the LED stripes!

I am not big on wire connectors, so I soldered (speling correct? lol) all the connections.

One side lit:

Driver side lit

Finished:

Night shots

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I had white turn signals in my lincoln LS. They were very bright and looked as though I was flashing one high beam when I turned the blinker on.

In my X now with the 05+ headlights I need to replace the turn signal bulbs because the amber coating is coming off the bulbs. I am wondering what to get. Personally I would like just a white bulb but something very very low wattage so it isn't blinding with the blinker on.

I remember Russ posting a rainbow looking bulb that lit up amber.

These led bulbs posted would look nice off as well but light up amber.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM
bigpetie
Freshman User
looks good ! how hard is the grill & light 2 install ?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bigpetie
looks good ! how hard is the grill & light 2 install ?
The grill is a piece of cake, pop the hood and you'll see the four or five screws along the top. Then between the bottom of the grill and the bumper on either side just about under the side bars you'll see two clips. Pop em up and gently pull the grill out and it'll pop right out.

Personally my lights required some trimming of the fiberglass panel inside the opening, but it was very minimal.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM
BlowNdoh
Trailering
EP-27 is the correct flasher relay to use for LED's. I did not use any inline resistors for my turn signals/hazards. Remove the old relay and install the LED compatible EP-27.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BlowNdoh
EP-27 is the correct flasher relay to use for LED's. I did not use any inline resistors for my turn signals/hazards. Remove the old relay and install the LED compatible EP-27.
Thanks!

Did you use switch back LED's (white & amber) or just amber LED's?

Old 06-08-2014, 02:39 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

I remember Russ posting a rainbow looking bulb that lit up amber.
They were a silverstar bulb, but they are no longer made. i found a bunch of new old stock on Ebay and bought it up when i could. there may still be some out there...

i keep meaning to order some amber LED's for the front of my Ex but keep forgetting.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 AM
BlowNdoh
Trailering
I am using these 5630 LED chipped LED's. They are just amber. I was torn between the switchbacks and plain amber after seeing a F250 with swithbacks. The ambers are nice and bright.
The 5630 LED's I have.
3157 Projector High Power 5630 Chip LED Yellow Amber Turn Signal Lights Bulbs | eBay
Switchbacks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-3157-3357-Switchback-Amber-White-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulb-High-Power-LED-Lamp-/301076919174?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4619953386&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power-5630-Chip-3157-Dual-Color-Switchback-LED-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulbs-/230945857696?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c57220a0&vxp=mtr
The relay will work on led's. Don't use this relay if you haven't installed LED's in the rear as the relay will fail. The relay is $15.99 at Advance auto but just use the code TRT30 (30% off) and it drops to $11.19.
The relay
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...ep27/5060001-P

Old 06-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BlowNdoh
I am using these 5630 LED chipped LED's. They are just amber. I was torn between the switchbacks and plain amber after seeing a F250 with swithbacks. The ambers are nice and bright.
The 5630 LED's I have.
3157 Projector High Power 5630 Chip LED Yellow Amber Turn Signal Lights Bulbs | eBay
Switchbacks
CREE 3157 3357 Switchback Amber White Turn Signal Light Bulb High Power LED Lamp | eBay
High Power 5630 Chip 3157 Dual Color Switchback LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs | eBay

The relay will work on led's. Don't use this relay if you haven't installed LED's in the rear as the relay will fail. The relay is $15.99 at Advance auto but just use the code TRT30 (30% off) and it drops to $11.19.
The relay
Tridon (Novita Tech. Inc) Electronic Turn Signal Flasher EP27: You
BlowNdoh, thanks for all the info and links!

Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think they should stick with the amber blinkers and make it a law because people are programmed to look for amber ones. It's kind of like one state using blue for all their stop signs and lights, at times it could be dangerous.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Hmmmmm, now I want to upgrade my signal bulbs lol

Old 06-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EXv10
I think they should stick with the amber blinkers and make it a law because people are programmed to look for amber ones. It's kind of like one state using blue for all their stop signs and lights, at times it could be dangerous.
Here in Michigan that is the law...I'm not sure what states allow other colors other than amber. The switchback turn signals glow white when not being used and then when you turn on your signal they switch to amber and start blinking.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:34 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx

They were a silverstar bulb, but they are no longer made. i found a bunch of new old stock on Ebay and bought it up when i could. there may still be some out there...

i keep meaning to order some amber LED's for the front of my Ex but keep forgetting.
You can still get them, but a different manufacturer. Look up Steath Bulbs. They are clear (no amber reflection) she off but illuminate amber. They are a bit dimmer than standard bulbs due to the tint but you can't tell at night.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
You can still get them, but a different manufacturer. Look up Steath Bulbs. They are clear (no amber reflection) she off but illuminate amber. They are a bit dimmer than standard bulbs due to the tint but you can't tell at night.
so then they are not the same, the draw i had for the SS bulbs was the blueish tint when off. there are plenty of other chrome type bulbs that do not show the amber when off but i have not seen anything like the old SS bulbs.

best part is they are no dimmer then a regular amber bulb.

In Alaska you are allowed white OR amber front turn signals/marker lights...so either is legal.

Quick Reply: New Grille and Headlights