Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

What Did you do to your Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM
RMeans
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Explorer XLT

I got both rear window regulators replaced on my Explorer at the expense of the dealership I purchased her at. Plus topped of the fuel tank.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:42 PM
IIGood
Senior User
Today I put gloss black vinyl over the dulled black pillars. Looks much better now.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:01 PM
jswford
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
installed a MIL eliminator to trick the p0430 catalyst below threshold bank 2 CEL to stop coming on. also put in my aux plug over the message center.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM
IIGood
Senior User
Did a couple little things over the weekend to mine. On Friday I gave it it's second oil change since I owned it. That turned out to take longer than needed...I changed the filter out first then I went to remove the drain plug from the oil pan but it wouldn't budge, at least not with my 3/8 drive ratchet. I didn't have the appropriate sized 1/2 drive socket (the 1/2" drive ratchet is a good deal longer...more leverage!!!) so I ran out to pick one up. The first place that was closest to my house didn't have any in that size so I ended up at Sears and found it. Then back home to finish the job. Now I don't have to worry about that again.

Side note about the oil change: The first time I did an oil change on this Explorer I just figured the previous owner torqued the **** out of the plug and I couldn't budge it. I ended up going to a quick lube place to have the plug broken free and had them finish the oil drain/refill there. I thought they torqued it down again but I guess I'm just that weak. LOL.

Anyway...Sunday I treated it to a light cleaning at a new local car wash. Was a bit on the pricey side for the basic wash and interior cleaning...$18. There's another wash in town that charges that much for the mid-grade services. Oh well...truck's clean for now.

Then I went to my mom and dad's yesterday afternoon and changed the oil in his '05 Explorer.

Next up on my list is to have the A/C system checked. I just feel like it could be blowing colder. Almost seems like the Max AC is only as cold as what the regular AC should be. I'm hoping to get that done within the next 2 weeks since I'll be making a road trip to NC with the girlfriend to pickup her niece and nephew. While they are in town, I have a feeling we'll be toting them around a bit in my truck...

Old 06-19-2016, 03:01 PM
ojh
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I removed the power antenna on my '97 XLT, took the antenna apart and replaced the drive cable. It works like a brand new unit! I had to remove the inner fender well, what a job but I see that that is how I'll get to the plugs when I need to replace them. They are just right there.
While it was apart I wire brushed the mud etc off control arms and gave it all another coat of Satin Black.
Getting a CD player & new shocks are next on the list.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:53 PM
ojh
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I added a 7" GPS/Navigator with the backup camera. Got it working perfectly and didn't care for the cable with the adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter. that cable hanging looked like crap. So I took the dash apart, cut the cable and spliced it into a constant 12v power source...say, did you guys know there is a printed circuitboard inside that adapter that changes the voltage to 5v dc? I picked up on it while making the splice and seeing smoke come out of my GPS system.
My next 'update' will be how to replace a burned out electrical componants.
Daggone it.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:16 PM
jswford
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I did the dreaded passenger manifold. It ended up being just the manifold gasket was bad, but for 60 bucks from rockauto I put a new manifold on anyway. Soooo much better! nice and new looking too.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:00 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I cleaned up my Dad's '99 Limited today, steam cleaned the carpets and wiped it all down. My 2011 F-150 has passed him in mileage as it has 44k on it now.

The outside needs a good buff and wax, need to do that before winter.

Name:  20160713_173000_zpsin5vq7zo.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  4.36 MB
Name:  20160713_173006_zpsl0m1yjzl.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  4.39 MB
Name:  20160713_173010_zpsvfhdtt3m.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  4.31 MB

Old 07-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Amazing it looks new..

Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 AM
RMeans
New User
2003 Explorer XLS

Heard a loud thump in the driver's side front door on my home from work Wednesday morning. Then the window dropped into the door. Took the door panel off when I got home. Broken cable on the window regulator. Called around no one had a regulator that would work without the motor also. My motor still worked like a champ. $90.00 later new regulator with motor. Drilled out the rivets holding the window to the regulator which I replaced with nuts and bolts (make for easier replacement next time). Put door back together. Window works perfectly

Only problem I ran into was some previous idiot put a regulator in it from a 2002 Eddie Baur Edition Explorer so we could not find just the correct regulator off the part numbers on it. After some research by the parts guy at my local Merle's auto parts we found the correct part.

Last edited by RMeans; 07-29-2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Spell checking
Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 AM
os1kne
New User
Changed the oil. Will probably wash after the temp cools down.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Oil change and tire rotation.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:23 PM
IIGood
Senior User
It's been a while since I've been over here but over the past few weeks, my Explorer has kept me busy.

It started with the door ajar switch a couple weekends ago. Initially, about a month ago, the panic alarm just went off in the middle of the night one night. Thought it was a neighbor's car, but when I looked out the window (this was at 2 am), there was my XLT flashing it's lights. I made sure everything was okay...no windows busted or anything...went back to bed and thought nothing more of it. A couple weekends later, I was out with my GF and while I was waiting for her to get her nails done, the alarm went off 5 times in an hour and a half. I tried messing with the door jam wiring but that was fine...then the door ajar light started to come on while I was driving. It turned out to be the switch in the driver's door. Once that was replaced, all is well.

But, that did also cause the battery to die. While waiting for the new switch to come in at the dealer, I would drive the truck to work so as to not disturb the neighbors during the day. One of the days I drove it to work, it must've kept tripping out and causing the alarm to go off or the courtesy lights to come on because when I came out of work to head home, the truck wouldn't start. I got a quick jump start and that was fine, but for the next week after that, it was hard to start. The relay would do that quick clicking before it would actually catch and one Sunday morning, it just wouldn't catch anymore. I ran out and got a new DieHard Gold and put that in, and all is good now.

Yesterday I discovered the rear door speakers were no longer working. Today I took the door apart to see what was going on and discovered that they had disconnected. They're aftermarket speakers with an adapter running from that stupid proprietary factory connection to plug up to the speakers, so it adds about 6" or so that part of the wiring. The adapter must've gotten in the way of the window track and when I rolled the windows down, the glass probably pulled the connections off the speakers. One side was still intact and could just be plugged back up...the other door actually had the wiring severed so I'll have to fix that up.

It's just not stopping yet. It's due for an oil change and it desperately needs new tires. It has 2 different tires on it...Yokohamas up front, BFGs in the back...not good for a 4WD system.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:54 PM
IIGood
Senior User
This evening I changed the oil and fixed up the rear door speaker. I've got sound from all 4 speakers again.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
New battery, son's Titan also wouldn't crank. Two nights of 59* is all it took for both vehicles. They don't drive enough each day, we use the excursion a lot though.

Quick Reply: What Did you do to your Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator today?