1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Toyo Mt's are c-rated?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 02:59 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Not so sure about that , you are taking a tire with a 6ply load range C rating putting it on a 7500 pound truck that requires a 10ply E rated tire and thinking all is dandy, My wifes car has load range C tires on it and believe me I would not put them on my Superduty no matter what the weight rating is, When he is pulling a nice heavy load and one of the C tires self destructs from to much heat injuring or killing someone your 18 year old lawyer is gonna get his *** handed to him...
You're missing the whole point, read all the posts over again.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
You're missing the whole point, read all the posts over again.
I don't need to read it again, I get where you guys are coming from as far as the load capacity of the tire being the same as a E rated tire, what I don't get is why everyone thinks its ok to put a 6ply C rated tire on. I even highly doubt any reputable shop will do it.. Why did you go with E rated tires on your recap's Brent when you could have got by with C rated like most Toyota Corolla's have?

Old 05-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
I have expressed my opinion on this matter and I am going to be done with this thread now, ( I got that one from Brent ) Carry on with using a 6ply tire to do a 10ply job...

Old 05-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I don't need to read it again, I get where you guys are coming from as far as the load capacity of the tire being the same as a E rated tire, what I don't get is why everyone thinks its ok to put a 6ply C rated tire on. I even highly doubt any reputable shop will do it.. Why did you go with E rated tires on your recap's Brent when you could have got by with C rated like most Toyota Corolla's have?
Sorry, you're wrong here. A Corolla doesn't have an LR C tire, those are exclusive to LT-rated tires. Most all passenger cars, as well as light trucks, come with P-metric tires, and there is a difference. They are NOT the sam as, nor are they even close to, an LT-rated load range C tire. In fact an LR C tire doesn't have 6 plies either, just as an E doesn't have 8. It's an equivalency to an old standard from years ago when tires had additional plies to handle more pressure.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

Normally I'd post a comprehensive tire load chart that I have on my computer, but I'm traveling at the moment and don't have it handy. All the load range indicates is the maximum pressure the tire can handle, and of course the maximum load is determined from that and the dimensions of the tire. The OP's tires are rated for more than his max GAWR for both axles, which means they are perfectly adequate for the job from a load perspective. They will carry the weight just fine. They are NOT passenger car tires.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:52 PM
JR250R
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys for all the input I will post pics once I get tires mounted here in a week or so.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom
Sorry, you're wrong here. A Corolla doesn't have an LR C tire, those are exclusive to LT-rated tires. Most all passenger cars, as well as light trucks, come with P-metric tires, and there is a difference. They are NOT the sam as, nor are they even close to, an LT-rated load range C tire. In fact an LR C tire doesn't have 6 plies either, just as an E doesn't have 8. It's an equivalency to an old standard from years ago when tires had additional plies to handle more pressure.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

Normally I'd post a comprehensive tire load chart that I have on my computer, but I'm traveling at the moment and don't have it handy. All the load range indicates is the maximum pressure the tire can handle, and of course the maximum load is determined from that and the dimensions of the tire. The OP's tires are rated for more than his max GAWR for both axles, which means they are perfectly adequate for the job from a load perspective. They will carry the weight just fine. They are NOT passenger car tires.
Well Tom you are wrong , here is the specs from Nitto tires on their ply's
Technical specs are subject to change without notice.

LT tires with a "C" load range have a 6-ply rating. LT tires with a "D" load range have an 8-ply rating.

LT Tires with an "E" load range have a 10-ply rating.

*Indicates Extra Load (XL)

Old 05-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Now I am done..

Old 05-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Well Tom you are wrong , here is the specs from Nitto tires on their ply's Technical specs are subject to change without notice. LT tires with a "C" load range have a 6-ply rating. LT tires with a "D" load range have an 8-ply rating. LT Tires with an "E" load range have a 10-ply rating. *Indicates Extra Load (XL)
Read the link, it's a ply "rating". The tires don't actually have 8 plies. Do you want me to find another source for this? Stand by...

Old 05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Here you go:

Originally Posted by Town Fair Tire
Modern load range/ply ratings do not count the number of ply layers inside the tire. In fact, they indicate an equivalent strength based on early bias ply tires. Light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings (10-14 ply rated), actually have two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply while many radial passenger tires have one or two body plies.
SOURCE.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom
Here you go:

SOURCE.
Quit dragging me back into this thread Tom. I don't get what the difference is, it says a load range C tire has a 6ply rating and a load range E has a 10ply rating, doesn't that tell us that a load E is stronger than a load C ?

Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Quit dragging me back into this thread Tom. I don't get what the difference is, it says a load range C tire has a 6ply rating and a load range E has a 10ply rating, doesn't that tell us that a load E is stronger than a load C ?
Sorry, I really can't help myself. Perhaps I've had too much coffee!

Yes that's true, an LR E is stronger than a C. But it's only an apples-to-apples comparison when you're comparing the same tire size, because the load range is only directly related to the maximum pressure a tire can handle.

For example, a monster truck only has 5-15 PSI in those big meats because it has so much surface area on the ground for that pressure to act upon. Such a tire can't even fall under the LT spec because they are incapable of even holding 30 PSI. But of course a monster truck weighs far more than a Super Duty, and those low pressure tires hold the weight just fine.

An LR E tire in the OP's size doesn't exist because it doesn't need to. That tire in LR C is rated for more weight than most LR E tires are. To put simply, you just don't need 80 PSI in a tire that size to hold 3,400 lbs. Because the tire isn't rated to 80 PSI it's considered load range C, but that doesn't mean it's not as capable as lots of load range E tires.

Can't upload it from my iPad, so here's a link to that table on my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wz8ofogc63...ationTable.pdf

Old 05-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Fair enough, it would still give me the shivers walking by a Super duty and seeing load C tires..

Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Might stay away from lifted superdutys then. When you get to larger tires the e rated tires get scarce. And if what I take from tom is correct the letter ratings corespond to psi rating not weight rating. Ply ratings are insignificant as a manufacture could produce a 15ply load c rated tire or a 3 ply erated tire if they wished

Old 05-17-2014, 01:18 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
Might stay away from lifted superdutys then. When you get to larger tires the e rated tires get scarce. And if what I take from tom is correct the letter ratings corespond to psi rating not weight rating. Ply ratings are insignificant as a manufacture could produce a 15ply load c rated tire or a 3 ply erated tire if they wished
exactly .....to op your big beefy new 43s are more than adequate....get them pics up soon man

Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The bottom line is most people don't realize the tire size affects the rating for a given weight of truck.

Quick Reply: New Toyo Mt's are c-rated?