1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Things I've learned from my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 AM
DadOh1
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've learned a lot!

Originally Posted by DR Smith
Now come on be honest . How many of those things actually worked ? There is a old saying [ it is only cob when it doesn't work ] . I would like to have a $ for every car or truck running the roads with road sign floors . Or spray foam to fill cab corners ,1/4 panels, and door bottoms . To be honest I have done this type of thing in the past , And so have most of you . I even painter a truck with porch and deck enamel ,when I had little $ and needed to get it one color . Road signs have saved my feet and legs from falling through the floors on a few junk cars and trucks , when I could barely pay the rent . Then there is the learning curve , the older you get the better you get .
What I've learned from my truck? That ANYthing can be recycled, reused, repainted, welded, bondo'd and glued onto a truck.

What I've learned about myself? That I'm so glad that someone used such creativity to keep my truck alive until I got it.

What I've learned from this thread? That DR Smith was probably the Previous Owner of my '54....

Jerry

Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Where do I start

OK:
  1. If you can't find the correct fenders, hood and front grill for a 1950 then 1952 parts will fit perfectly.
  2. If your F-2 frame has been shortened to 112" wheelbase for some reason a used and abused 1951 F-1 box will fit just fine . . . if you don't worry about crossmembers or the fact that the rear wheels are 2" forward in the wheel wells.
  3. Regardless there is still clearance for half worn P265x16 60 series radial tires in the rear.
  4. You can drive a truck on the road with a bent tie rod and badly worn out steering box with no lube in it for many years . . . as long as you have strong arms, good reflexes, two lanes available to wander back and forth and don't try to drive very fast.

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM
GMbusa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. You guys are great.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
these are contributions from my early years of ownership (1977) of my F1. I you want your truck to be all the same color, the quickest, easiest way to accomplish this is with latex primer, applied by brush. the first coast looked so good, i sanded it and added a second coat. the latex lasted for 29 years (22 off the road) and stripped easily with paint stripper. if your box cross members are severely rusted, 2"x6" pressure treated lumber can be slipped over the frame and under the angle of the box. the box bolts then through the floor, if you have one, will hold the box together, more of less. also lasted 29 years. the 2"x6" came out and were good enough to use for something else.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:02 PM
SunnyBeach
Freshman User
I have learned that you don't need cotter pins, nails or bailing wire works just fine.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
You can drive a truck on the road with a bent tie rod and badly worn out steering box with no lube in it for many years . . . as long as you have strong arms, good reflexes, two lanes available to wander back and forth and don't try to drive very fast.
Pete, did you buy my old truck?

Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Pete, did you buy my old truck?
Or her twin

Old 05-09-2014, 05:56 AM
Aus56
Elder User
I learnt that just about anything can be made to fit, OR close tolerances are not that important.

This is the switch for my electric window, fitted (sort of) over the original window winder hole/moulding.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i had holes in the inner cowl of my f1 with no cover panels on the inside of the cab in 1977, so water from the front wheels splashed into the cab. i carefully fashioned some patches out of roofing shingles and glued them in with roofing cement, after 7 years daily driving and 22 years in storage we re-did the truck. the patches had held up well, as well they should since they are roofing materials. they did a good job of keeping my shoes and pants dry.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by Aus56
I learnt that just about anything can be made to fit, OR close tolerances are not that important.

This is the switch for my electric window, fitted (sort of) over the original window winder hole/moulding.
Bondo should fix that shouldn't it?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:19 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
If your door striker plate is wearing down, you can get extra mileage out of it by using a "U" nail as a shim between the plate and the door jamb.

I'm starting to admire Previous Owner's ingenuity.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:37 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have also learned that I am not anywhere close to a professional auto body/paint person. I am also not the brightest mechanic around. But I have also learned that I love trying. And thanks to a lot of practice and to Ax and his tutorials, I have become a decent welder. I have become a decent fabricator, and I have also learned from my truck to be patient. It will not be done overnight.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:42 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
I learned that if you sand blast the cab it will act as a salt shaker months afterwards, no mater how much you try to clean the sand out of it.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:24 AM
F5Grunty
New User
A tin pie plate cut in half and held in place with bath tub caulk around both headlight buckets makes a great Bondo backing. Perfect when sculpting a three inch thick fender patch.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:23 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
What I have learned from my truck:

- A "solid looking truck" doesn't mean it's solid
- Everything snowballs when I "modify" anything
- Patience is a virtue Kemosabe, I was supposed to be driving my truck daily by now....in my mind anyways lol
- Coolest thing I'm learning from this truck is...Learning how to build a safe 51 ford pickup I can be proud of and enjoy with my family and friends.

PS: 3/4 inch thick bondo isn't a good way to fix rusted out fenders

Quick Reply: Things I've learned from my truck.