1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1966 F250 Trim Anodizing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:39 PM
smittysan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1966 F250 Trim Anodizing

I am trying to restore the aluminum trim on my '66 F250 and so far I haven't had much success. I believe that I will need to reanodize the trim.
Does anyone know of a shop in Southern California that can deanodize and reanodize the trim? Preferably I would like someone who has dealt with classic car parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Sorry, I can't really help but when you are looking make sure you tell the shop you have two pieces which are almost eight feet long. Many shops aren't equipped for those.
Eric

Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by smittysan
I am trying to restore the aluminum trim on my '66 F250 and so far I haven't had much success. I believe that I will need to reanodize the trim.
Does anyone know of a shop in Southern California that can deanodize and reanodize the trim? Preferably I would like someone who has dealt with classic car parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Where are you located? What City? Stripping and fixing not a problem. Re-anodizing is a problem for the bed side trim. If they don't have a tank long enough, they will have to dip each end. This causes a line in the center, not bad but still noticeable.
The EPA has scared a lot of the shops around So. Cal. There is one in L. A. but I wasn't happy with there work at all. There's an anodizing shop in Pomona but they have small tanks. At least I know they can't do a 75" piece much less a 90" piece.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a 65 Mustang from a guy who also had a 66 F100.

He used fine steel wool to get the finish he wanted, then sprayed the trim with clear lacquer.

Im thinking about trying that myself.

I have never used lacquer, it used to be very popular, but not as durable as enamel I have been told.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123

He used fine steel wool to get the finish he wanted, then sprayed the trim with clear lacquer.

I have never used lacquer, it used to be very popular, but as durable as enamel I have been told.
I was just wondering if a clear coat would work. I would not use lacquer though.....a 2 part urethane clear would be much more durable.
I'm just wondering if it would look right or be too shiny.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM
MNTBUGGY
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The trim is finished with a 'Bright Dip' Anodize. I had some done years ago before they started reproducing them. Impala Bob's did mine but that was probably 20 yrs ago for $1 per inch Might do some google searches. Good luck

Originally Posted by smittysan

Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
I don't want to spend the money on anodize, so Im looking for a lower cost option.

Im going to talk to a painter and get his opinion.

On some new Harleys parts of the bodywork get no paint, just a clearcoat. It seems to hold up well.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123

I have never used lacquer, it used to be very popular, but not as durable as enamel I have been told.
Because of the anodize coating, your going to be at it for a long time. I'm willing to bet your hands will cramp up pretty bad just getting through the anodize.
It can be done, but man it's going to be time consuming and hell on the hands.
Once you get the anodize coating off, you'll need to fix the dents and dings. Trust me they will show up even more.
Once you make it to that point, then the polishing begins. You can always "Seal" the aluminum with an aluminum sealer. Look at "Master Formula" for a good quality bare aluminum sealer.
Today's anodize is not as good as yesterday's anodize. The coating doesn't last long and your back to stripping and polishing.
You can thank the EPA for that.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Easy Off is the way to go Im told.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:10 PM
smittysan
New User
I live in Hawthorne, CA there are a lot of companies that build parts for aerospace, but as several people have indicated, most of the places cannot accommodate the larger pieces from the bed trim. I'm willing to go as far as San Diego to get the job done.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:16 PM
smittysan
New User
Originally Posted by gangstakr
Where are you located? What City? Stripping and fixing not a problem. Re-anodizing is a problem for the bed side trim. If they don't have a tank long enough, they will have to dip each end. This causes a line in the center, not bad but still noticeable.
The EPA has scared a lot of the shops around So. Cal. There is one in L. A. but I wasn't happy with there work at all. There's an anodizing shop in Pomona but they have small tanks. At least I know they can't do a 75" piece much less a 90" piece.
Do you have the name of the place in Pomona? I maybe I can use them for the smaller trim pieces and find some alternative for the larger pieces.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:10 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you end up getting some parts done from the place in Pomona or any place. Be sure to post pics of the final outcome. I'm always curious on the quality detail for any kind of metal plating by companies. They are harder and harder to find every day for a quality piece.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:05 AM
66F250CS
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had mine chromed in Tucson. Alternatively, strip off the anodizing with Easy-off or lye, polish and then clear.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
theastronaut
More Turbo
Received 188 Likes on 96 Posts
Contact King of Trim. We sent the trim for the '66 we're restoring to them. Should have it back within a month.

King of Trim | Quality automotive trim restoration

Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
...Does anyone know...can the aluminum trim be "flash" chromed like they did on some stainless trim on classic cars??
...ps Tucson, I just started my disassembly this weekend on my '66 F-250. Given enough time, I want it to look just like yours! What are the proper names of the colors on your truck?? I'm going to make some slight mod's but keep the original look. Only shame of painting/restoring, it's so original, still has the inspection/crayon marks on the firewall and engine compartment panels!!

Quick Reply: 1966 F250 Trim Anodizing