New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

This is gonna be tough ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM
tnoiset
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is gonna be tough ...

So, I am going to ask a question that may get me shot, bricks or tomatoes (or who knows what) thrown at me .....

WHAT IS THE BEST MODEL/YEAR/STYLE/ENGINE Ford pickup to get?

Pickup-wise, years ago I owned a 1976 F-250 (my wife needed a car, so I sold the truck ... the motorcycle became my mode of transport);

then a Chevy C-20 to haul a camper on;

and over the past decade or two a couple of Rangers ... one short cab, 4cyl, 5-speed and the last one a '99 XLT Extended Cab Sport, v6, auto, 2wd.

Actually, the boys have been driving it and I'm driving a Honda Element. I make deliveries in it and it is much appreciated on rainy days.

Starting to wind down the hard-working years and looking to get either an overhead camper, or more likely a not-too-big pull-behind camper (4,000lbs or less) for my wife and I to see the country and visit the kids (all over creation).

Found a great TrailManor camper, but it is too heavy for the Element, so I am looking to sell it and get a pickup to get me where I want to go in life .... again, all over the country.

Right now "new" is probably not an option, although I've got two friends with 2013's (one a twin-turbo EcoV6, the other with a V8). Both of them love their trucks and say there is no comparison to them.

I know my '76 (360V8 Auto 2WD) 250 was not shy about guzzling petrol (and front tires!), and from the limited amount of reviews I've read it was stated that in some years even the V8s were leaving some to be desired on power, and, from my friends, the ride of their new ones are pretty sweet .....

MY (desired) criteria would be:
- NOT a fuel guzzler
- at least an extended cab (the short cab Ranger about put me in the hospital!)
- it looks like the 4,000 pound towability is not really asking for much from any of these
- fit a budget of $6,000-$12,000 range
- a nice ride may be asking too much, but would be nice

So, first, if there is to be an attack for even asking the question we'll get that out of the way (I tried doing a "search" but didn't really know how to word it .... ) ....

DOES such a truck exist? and any input, wisdom and consensus much appreciated.

THANK YOU!
Tom

Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
I won't throw any tomatoes. If I had tomatoes I would definitely eat them but I wish I had a suggestion for you. I did read that you are going to have a camper and wanted to make sure you consider your hitch and suspension needs.

The Torklift International StableLoad is an affordable DIY suspension upgrade. It will significantly improve your handling and reduce side-to-side sway, body roll and bounce. All together, it will make for a very smooth ride.

Happy Camping!

- Torklift Jen

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 PM
tnoiset
New User
Thank You for the information.

Maybe I need to ask if there are any years/models/engines/options that I need to STAY AWAY from ....

Gas vs diesel
2WD vs 4WD
etc.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!!
Best advice would be to surf around some of the forums and get a feel for what certain guys like for what they do. Maybe post a question similar to the above to get better response than in the introduction forum. You'll find great advice on this site, no doubt about it. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Maxillius
New User
Just by your requirements, if you can find a good clean 1996 F-150 with the 300 I6, that would make you the happiest. 1996 was the last year for that engine and if you do a bit of hunting you can find a good one AND it'll be less than $8000 with low miles. Other posters have said that truck with a manual transmission will get 22 mpg empty so probably around 18 with a 4000lb trailer.

If you want more power you'll have to sacrifice fuel mileage. Also, none of the later V6s up until the Ecoboost have anywhere near the low-end torque of the old 300.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:15 AM
tnoiset
New User
Thank You for the advice and direction. Over the weekend we were still trying to figure out whether a pull-behind or an overhead camper would best suit our future ....

Old 04-29-2014, 03:25 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Tony