1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

power steering update

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM
lilrobo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering update

i had a guy check out my noise on my power steering and he said it was the gear box making the noise , are these Toyota gear box rebuild able ?
i did buy it used

thanks

Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What noise is it making? Can you describe it, is it only when turning?

Turning while moving or turning while at a complete stop?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM
dmack91
Elder User
My understanding is that generally a rebuild on these is only seal replacement, not actually doing anything to the internals.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
AFAIK the Toy box is a recirculating ball design which means there is no parts like gears that rub or mesh to make mechanical noise unless severely damaged in accident etc. If it is making noise it is likely a relief valve fluttering due to air in the hydraulic system. I don't think Toyota ever expected the units to require rebuilding so I don't expect any rebuild parts other than external shaft seals are available. That's why buying a "rebuilt" box is a waste of money IMHO. I don't know of anyone else having a noise issue with this box.
Here's a question we never addressed before: is any portion of the hydraulic hoses higher than the pump?
At this point, you might consider cutting your losses and buying the completely new manufctured box Mid Fifty and CPP(?) is selling.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Much more likely the pump is making noise.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Unbolt the box from the frame, draglink and column and with the engine running and the box in your hand turn the input shaft. It should be obvious to the hand holding the box if it is vibrating or making noise. Also double check that the hole in the frame has been enlarged enough in the right area so the pitman shaft is not rubbing on the frame. Also be sure enough of the lip on the box was removed so the box is not being pressed against the frame when the mount is tightened. Finally I might consider making a thin rubber gasket (I'd use a truck inner tube) to go between the mount and the frame.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
I would think you could just put your hand on the pump or box itself and it will be noticable which is making noise depending on what the noise it. That is why I asked when it is making noise, seems like there is no point in pulling box when some diagnostic can be done with everything still installed.

Mine makes some horrible chattering sounds, but it is only when completely stopped and only after having driven a bit. I am not sure if it is because the fluid is getting too hot, or because my foot is on the brake while turning.

I think there would be no point in putting such a thin layer of rubber in there as the clamping force from the three mounting bolts would squish it completely flat! Some of the reinforced rubber might work?

Old 04-19-2014, 05:24 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
My noise is a hissing sound ,it only starts after it warms up it, it sounds just like air. i really dont think its air, i have checked there is no foam, bubbles in the pump, i have done the lock to lock several times even changed the pump 2 times. I did make the hole larger in frame as the mid fifty instructions, i did talk to midfiftys and they told me to call CCP, i ask them about the rag joing and they didnt think that would make a differance, so anyway i was checking if there was a rebuild kit, it sound just fluid by passing when you turn the wheel, you hear it just when you start to turn the wheel. i ll keep checking it out

Thanks for the input guys, ill get one day

Old 04-19-2014, 06:10 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Get a piece of heater hose (maybe the hose from the wife's vacuum ) while holding it to your better ear (for us old folks) use the other end as a stethoscope to isolate the noise to either the pump or the box. Liability disclaimer- don't get it caught in the moving parts.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 AM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
What kind of pump are you using?

Does it do this all the time or only while stopped? moving slowly?

Can you have someone turn the wheel while you carefully try to isolate if it is the pump or box?

carnut122 has the right idea, unless you have a stethoscope, or you can use a steel rod carefully....

Does it steer and seem to work fine before it is fully warmed up? Mine only starts making noise once warmed up and only at a complete stop which is a good reason to only turn the wheel when moving.

I think if I install a fluid cooler it may solve my problem as the fluid may be getting too hot?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
Its a GM pump and it does it when turning either way. I do have a scope i will try it my self and see if i can tell where its coming from.as far as i know the gear box is below the pump, i will double check that. the fluid is warm not hot, and it does steer great all the time
I will let you all know

Thanks agsin

Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
As I recall, the GM (Saginaw) pump may need a different pressure regulating valve when used with the Toy box?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:12 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
That makes sence. I was told that the valve was for jerky steering, my steering is great.
Good point hope we are on to something

Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
The valve controls the pressure which controls the sensitivity. I think I mentioned this to you a while back. Rebuilders often boost the pressure so the customers "feels" like the replacement pump is working "better" because it steers easier. The pressure is adjusted with a series of washers and spring behind the HP outlet fitting. An adjuster kit is available from Borgeson or Summit Racing for about 7.00. You can adjust it without removing the pump. You want to start at the lowest pressure and adjust up as desired until you reach the minimum pressure where you are happy with the steering feel. I didn't mean the box is higher than the pump, but if the a loop in the hose is higher than the pump, that can trap air.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:54 PM
lilrobo
Senior User
i just ordered one form summit ,, i will give it a try , and start with lowest setting

thanks again
maybe i can get this resolved

Quick Reply: power steering update