6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

EGR DELETE: Disable only VS Plates VS Plates and Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:12 PM
bterry
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR DELETE: Disable only VS Plates VS Plates and Elbow

I just bought a new SS Pro-flo delete pipe and the new SCT X4 7015C race tuner to talk the truck into the idea that it's going to be ok without the DPF and Cat. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm fairly certain I'll be happy once it's all installed. FYI, I choose those because of price, and because I'm mainly interested in deleting the DPF for engine longivity and fuel milege only - not power so much. Cost me $1017 from Rudy's.

For EGR delete, here's my options (I think):
1. The tuner has the capability to disable the EGR, and I think that no plates are required to utilize this mode. Maybe I could just select this mode and be happy.

2. This option uses the little plates which come in kits from various suppliers. (I guessing this option also employs option 1)

3. This option uses a kit that also includes an elbow. (Again I presume option 1 is used in conjunction with this).

What are some pro's and con's of each of these options? Some discussion of the cooler(s) delete are of course welcome. Difficulty, price, durability, fuel economy, performance, etc., are all great topics. I'm hoping no one wants to discuss emissions, epa, warrentees, or inspection failures; and prefer those topics be discussed in other threads - thanks.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what the 7015C tuner is capable of but if you delete the EGR system it opens the whole driver side of the engine bay up, also if you put on a charge intake and get rid of the stock one it cleans up the front of the engine bay. Does either enhance performance, sure, do most of us care, probably not. It is nice not having the EGR coolers in that it is one thing you don't have to worry about, although they are not such a problem as the 6.0, as far as I'm concerned being able to see the drivers side of the engine was worth the $100.00 kit and about 6 hours of grief.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Option # 1....You're correct...the tuner will disable the egr function. As to whether it completely blocks if off....some say at higher boost pressures that the egr valve will slightly open allowing soot to leak past the valve and into the intake. Another possible down fall of this option is that if your egr cooler ever fails, you still run the risk of coolant leaking into one of the cylinders while the engine is off and hydro locking the engine and bending a rod. Egr cooler failures on the 6.4 are rare though compared to the 6.0 but they still do happen.
Option # 2...block off plates. This option does require the tuner to disable the egr function. With the plates you don't have to worry about any leakage past the egr valve at higher boost pressures. So you're guaranteed that no soot will ever enter the intake. Another worry you eliminate is that if one of your egr coolers ever happen to fail, coolant will not be able to enter into the cylinders, so you eliminate any chance of hydro locking your engine from this. This option also takes about 2 beers or roughly 45 mins to an hour to install. If you're still under warranty and for whatever reason have to put the truck back to stock at anytime...the plates are super easy to remove as well. Also a quick visual of the engine bay has the appearance of emissions being intact. This is the option I have gone with on my truck.
Option # 3...complete egr delete.....Again you need a tuner with this option as well. This option cleans up the engine bay a lot, gives a ton more room to work. Also makes the thermostats super easy to access if you ever need to change them. Again no chance of any coolant ever leaking into the cylinders. You'll get a new intake elbow with this option which may provide slightly better air flow vs the stock intake elbow. Some downfalls I have heard about are....your exhaust up pipe is no longer supported by the egr cooler itself. Since it is now free hanging I've heard some say it may increase the chances of your up pipes cracking? If you live in a colder climate.....your ebp tube and sensor can freeze from built up moisture(no more heat radiating from egr cooler), which can cause minor boost issues. If you have winter front on the truck though I think that eliminates this from happening. This option as well as the blocker plates will slightly increase turbo spool up as well but may slightly raise ebp pressures I have heard to...I never really paid attention to my ebp pressures before the plates were installed so I can't tell you if it's true or not. This option requires much more beer and time to complete as well as more $.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
bterry
Elder User
Thanks guys; it's becoming clear to me now. Mr. sxrfun sir, your beer consumption rates are spot on.

BTW - I found another good source of info for anyone else who wants to know about this stuff. Google "EGR Delete-Full Install (Long+Pics)" and you'll find a thread on another site. That guy did a pretty good job documenting a full EGR delete on the 6.4.

Last edited by bterry; 04-08-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added BTW
Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Why thank you!!