Banks Exhaust with power elbow

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
baja2000
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Exhaust with power elbow

installing a Banks Exhaust with power elbow, should I move the pyrometer probe
from the driver side exhaust manifold to the power elbow ? any thoughts please.
Thanks Bill

Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
You best leave it where from you found it...

Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
baja2000
Junior User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
You best leave it where from you found it...
Thanks for your expertise , my thinking was it would average both sides, the elbow is taped for the probe. I think I read somewhere on forum the temperature reads different depending on the location of the probe ?. I drilled the manifold when I installed the gauges.
Thanks Bill

Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will get the most accurate reading from the manifold how you have it.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdr358
You will get the most accurate reading from the manifold how you have it.
What he said^^^^^^

Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heck you are just around the corner from me. Let me know how it turns out. I have been thinking on this for some time and wasn't sure if I should also change the turbo out too. I do not want 4" pipes with a 2" turbo outlet. I do know the Dually I had was real strong after the elbow and 4" pipes. The Big Head later made it even better. I still have to tap my manifold and run a new gage before any mods.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 PM
baja2000
Junior User
Thanks for the input guys. since the elbow is tapped for the probe I may try both locations and see if there is any difference ?.
The Banks exhaust system arrived today so tomorrow I will get it installed !!
Much nicer than the MBRP ! but cost 40% more
mtnsammy I think Yucca Valley is the "Excursion capital of the world !"
Bill

Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,370 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Banks uses good quality 409 series stainless tubing that is more tolerant to heat cycling than one or two of the other aftermarket exhaust systems. I wouldn't buy an exhaust system made of 316 series stainless (except for the tip). The 316 series that some companies use for their tubing may polish up pretty, which makes it bright and shiny and sell well, but it is not the optimal choice of an OEM that is required by law (in CA) to warranty their exhaust parts for 10 years.

Have you considered adding a second pyro gauge? That would be very informative. You'll have the benefit of seeing pre and post turbo temps.

Plus, the probe in the Banks Elbow will give you a better idea when it is safe to shut down your engine to prevent oil coking in the turbo. Sort of like a built in turbo temp monitor. The probe in the exhaust manifold can't do that as well. That probe is too far away, and there is quite a temperature drop between the gasses entering the manifold and the gasses exiting the turbo. A lot of that heat energy is converted to kinetic mechanical energy to make the turbine spin.

With a probe practically right next to the turbine housing, you will know when the turbo has reduced temperatures enough to shut down. Also, you will be able to monitor the heat soak of the turbo from being fed by two exhaust manifolds, not just one.

I think it would be informative (read: cool) to have pre turbo / post turbo pyro gauges simultaneously.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 PM
baja2000
Junior User
th

Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Banks uses good quality 409 series stainless tubing that is more tolerant to heat cycling than one or two of the other aftermarket exhaust systems. I wouldn't buy an exhaust system made of 316 series stainless (except for the tip). The 316 series that some companies use for their tubing may polish up pretty, which makes it bright and shiny and sell well, but it is not the optimal choice of an OEM that is required by law (in CA) to warranty their exhaust parts for 10 years.

Have you considered adding a second pyro gauge? That would be very informative. You'll have the benefit of seeing pre and post turbo temps.

Plus, the probe in the Banks Elbow will give you a better idea when it is safe to shut down your engine to prevent oil coking in the turbo. Sort of like a built in turbo temp monitor. The probe in the exhaust manifold can't do that as well. That probe is too far away, and there is quite a temperature drop between the gasses entering the manifold and the gasses exiting the turbo. A lot of that heat energy is converted to kinetic mechanical energy to make the turbine spin.

With a probe practically right next to the turbine housing, you will know when the turbo has reduced temperatures enough to shut down. Also, you will be able to monitor the heat soak of the turbo from being fed by two exhaust manifolds, not just one.

I think it would be informative (read: cool) to have pre turbo / post turbo pyro gauges simultaneously.
That is very informative ! . I may get another probe for the elbow and put a switch in to select between the two locations.

I did get the system installed today 5 hours the power elbow took 3 hours !!! ,if I had it to do again I would have pulled the turbo and rebuilt it and installed the elbow on turbo with it off !. But I was born in 1944 and need to rest for a day or two before I drive it.
Bill

Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Exhaust temp is @ 300 deg hotter on the engine side of the turbo. That is on semis though, but I would think it's the same on the small diesels.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
I know this is a old thread but I've been looking at the power elbow and wanting to put one on my truck. I ask on the 99-03 page but got zero replies. Can you tell a good difference with it? Is it worth putting on the truck?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 PM
baja2000
Junior User
Originally Posted by bcaughhorn
I know this is a old thread but I've been looking at the power elbow and wanting to put one on my truck. I ask on the 99-03 page but got zero replies. Can you tell a good difference with it? Is it worth putting on the truck?
I wasn't able to see any difference in performance between the Banks and MBRP
but I was disappointed to find out the deceleration function of my tuner will not work with the power elbow, for that reason alone I would go with power elbow.
Bill

Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Ok thanks. I've been looking into it. And banks will tell you it's better for this and that. Just wanted sd ome input from somebody that has one already