1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

best wiring harness ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 PM
revans9295
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best wiring harness ?

What is the best wiring harness for the money for a 1951 f5 ?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:57 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Depends. Are you staying 6V? Resto? Mod? Darkside? Flathead? Give a bit more and you'll get better answers as there are options.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Effin-Yeti
Freshman User
I just finished rewiring mine, least week. I used the EZ Wire EZ 21 in black. Wiring Harness

Short version:
it's inexpensive and works but don't expect a lot of help.

Since my truck had already gone through a 12V conversion (and several other things done without documentation) it took me substantially longer to wire, loom and connect as there was a lot of research behind it all. That said, unless you're looking to do many upgrades, their 12 circuit should do everything you want.

Once I got their worksheet (had to request it separately), matched up my parts and pieces to their (weak) docs, it worked reasonably well. I would recommend having a buddy help you to save time, though.

Pros:
black harness was labeled very well all the way down the wires (except I still don't know what FAN FAN is (internal and external)
except for the tail section, there was ample wire length.
cheap
worksheet

Cons:
support - I reached support 1 time in 17 attempts throughout the week. The guy was a bit of an *** up until he realized I'd done all the things he had already recommended.
WTF is a FAN FAN?
the docs were done for the color harness.
"tail" section to lights a bit short. I could have used an additional 3 feet on the runs I used.

Overall,
I don't know if anyone else's harnesses would be worth the additional $ but make sure you have plenty of beer on hand. you'll need to do your own legwork on your electrical system and match it up with their doc. Multi-meter is your friend.

Things that made this one more difficult:
6V-12V already done but not documented
no part numbers on variety of parts replaced by PO
more electrical tape than 3M produced last year.
etc. etc. etc.

Hope this helped
-Yeti

Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
You might want to look at American Autowire. I used their Power Plus 13 in my 48, this is a basic unit but more than enough for my truck. They have options up from there, the Highway series has some real pluses. Their support is great, made in the US and I found the best pricing through Summit Racing.
Power Plus 13 Wiring Kit We Make Wiring THAT Easy!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
revans9295
Senior User
Im staying stock on everything. Has anyone ever used one from street rod electrics ?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
tomrflorida
Junior User
I used the EZ Wiring kit also Paid $165.00 and it was not to bad. If I had to do another car I would buy it again. they also make the Dolphin gauges

Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I would make certain I got a kit with a auto resetting circuit breaker instead of just a fuse in the headlight circuit. A circuit breaker is not available with a mini fuse panel.

EDIT: A little research after my post shows that Bussman does in fact make a 30a auto reset circuit breaker in the mini size.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 PM
F1 48 Ford
Junior User
I used Tyree Harris on my 48.It looks like the original wiring and had no problems. I have a Mercury overdrive tranny and he supplied the wire for it. Dean

Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you are staying stock with 6V + grnd, then be sure to use a harness specifically made for 6V, NOT one for 12V. 6V pushes twice the amperage thru the wires as 12V, so the wires MUST be heavier to carry the current without overheating. A repro 6V harness would be your best bet, even if more expensive than a "universal", the simple plug and play install makes it worth it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 PM
NapaRick
Freshman User
Sacramento Vintage Ford does an amazing reproduction harness but I have been researching aftermarket kits. There are several to choose from - Painless, Ron Francis, EZ Wire, Rebel, American Autowire, Speedway, Kwikwire, etc. The ISIS multiplex system appeals to the inner geek in me: ISIS Intelligent Multiplex System - Automotive Wiring Harnesses, Car Wire Harness, Engine Wiring Harness, Auto Wiring Harness, Truck Wiring Harness, Car Wiring Kits

Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NapaRick
Sacramento Vintage Ford does an amazing reproduction harness but I have been researching aftermarket kits. There are several to choose from - Painless, Ron Francis, EZ Wire, Rebel, American Autowire, Speedway, Kwikwire, etc. The ISIS multiplex system appeals to the inner geek in me: ISIS Intelligent Multiplex System - Automotive Wiring Harnesses, Car Wire Harness, Engine Wiring Harness, Auto Wiring Harness, Truck Wiring Harness, Car Wiring Kits
Most of the aftermarket kits are for 12v negative ground systems. That being said, I used a Painless harness. It was complete, and came with really good documentation. I did buy a Ron Francis harness for the 2g alternator that I used. The quality of the parts from Ron Francis was over the top. They are a little on the expensive side as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm running an older Ron Francis Wiring Advantage Panel AP-97. Great harness and panel, but it is a 12 volt/neg. ground system.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I used a simple 9+3 rebel wire harness on my '54. Every six inches it was labelled. Colour coded as well, with decent instructions. Not very traditional, but the wires look to be high quality and it was easy. In fact, one of the most enjoyable exercises I've had to do on the truck

Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 AM
revans9295
Senior User
Im sorry. I meant staying stock ( nothing fancy ) but going with 12v. Thanks for yall help

Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I think that Rhode Island wiring would be a good bet. Unless you are going to aggressively show your truck in shows like the Early Ford V 8 Club (and drive it very little), I would think hard about adding turn signals and 2 tail lights with Ron Francis "Brite Bulbs".
I drove the 38 Woodie a lot that is in my gallery however I added turn signals and 2 tail lights 12v neg ground, Ron Francis "Brite Bulbs" and in my case, hydraulic brakes. It was otherwise stock.

Quick Reply: best wiring harness ?