1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

You hear about it happening but you never expect to have it happen to you.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd do the hood pin route if I didn't hate the look of them. ****ty deal though. I got a dent on my roof from the hood but my hood itself is at least repairable. I had a Californian volunteer to look for a hood but he couldn't find any. Swap meet in Washington later today but I'm doubtful. On Monday probably a guy I met up with a week ago is going to look in his buddy's yard for a good hood. I know that yard has bumpsides but I wasn't looking at the condition of the hoods when I was there.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you thought about buying a complete truck? There are parts trucks all over the place for $500 or less. I know where one is right now for less than that.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
I'd do the hood pin route if I didn't hate the look of them. ****ty deal though.
I'm glad the damage wasn't worse then it was.

Check out Aero-catch's. 120-3100

I've got a pair of them for my 54 F100 project. They are paintable and they are also lockable.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:38 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
When opening your hood you should have to manually push this latch to open hood. It is spring loaded.
Are you sure? I have a 70 F350 and I can open it with one hand. Matter of fact I read some truck literature that promoted the idea that the hood can be opened with one hand. Did the hood latch change after the first couple years of Bumps? Or is m y truck wrong?

The hood to my 54 popped open back in the late 70's after I picked it up from the garage after state inspection. I think the mechanic didn't close it properly.Scared the heck out of me, I wasn't going too fast under 50 mph. the only damage was the the windshield cracked.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:12 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Are you sure? I have a 70 F350 and I can open it with one hand. Matter of fact I read some truck literature that promoted the idea that the hood can be opened with one hand. Did the hood latch change after the first couple years of Bumps? Or is m y truck wrong?

The hood to my 54 popped open back in the late 70's after I picked it up from the garage after state inspection. I think the mechanic didn't close it properly.Scared the heck out of me, I wasn't going too fast under 50 mph. the only damage was the the windshield cracked.
If the safety latch/catch is working properly you will need to release it after popping the hood open.
In other words, use the hood release to open hood it should pop up an inch or so, then push the safety to one side to open the rest of the way.
If after releasing the hood latch your hood opens up all the way, what's preventing it from flying open? Gotta have a safety on it.
You can still open the hood with one hand if you want, pop the hood release safety.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:00 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gangstakr
If the safety latch/catch is working properly you will need to release it after popping the hood open.
In other words, use the hood release to open hood it should pop up an inch or so, then push the safety to one side to open the rest of the way.
If after releasing the hood latch your hood opens up all the way, what's preventing it from flying open? Gotta have a safety on it.
You can still open the hood with one hand if you want, pop the hood release safety.
My hood lever moves the safety out of the way. I've never seen a vehicle that requires manual movement of the safety.

Anyway, no hood from the Californian man on here and no hoods at the swap meet, but I've got a lot of phone numbers to call now and one guy says he has a perfect one stored away.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Gembone
Have you thought about buying a complete truck? There are parts trucks all over the place for $500 or less. I know where one is right now for less than that.
You're in dry Las Vegas. I'm in rainy Vancouver. Nothing local that's good. I'd have to travel. $500 + cost to pick it up + import tax = more than I want to pay.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM
elemint
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's nothing...

imgur: the simple image sharer

I was doing 55mph on my way to work when all of a sudden my latch failed and my hood met the roof.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Location, location, location!

Good luck in your search. I hate to see this happen to any truck, but even less to one as nice as yours.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
elemint
Elder User
Could be worse. Here is what I found on the way to put on a new carb...

Name:  kXWrBBb.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  916.1 KB

Name:  3Z6Z6IX.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  402.8 KB

I am looking for a new cab, bed, interior, hood, doors, and glass. The ashtray is still salvageable however...

Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by abe

You guy's are right, the hood lever on the bumps activate both.
I'm so used to my 64 that's why I said what I said.
Nevertheless the safety has to be working properly for it to do it's job.
I've had 2-69's and a 67 never had them for long flipping them almost as fast as I can buy them. My 64 I've had for 11 years and I think the way the safety is on my 64 is better than the bumps. However when all is working properly they should be the same.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:14 PM
RICKEYJ
New User
Hood

Had mine come up put a crease all across the hood & dent in the roof . Mine appeared that the bar that the safty catch would catch had been pushed out of the way.I've seen some bumps with chains on them guess they had theres come up also.You have a nice looking truck.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ugh, sorry to see this, especially to a nice truck. My '70 lost it one day on the way to work about 20 yrs ago. Yup, 55 in the fast lane and suddenly WHAM!! I got no vision, had to roll down the window to look around the hood. I then used my passenger mirror to get me over to the side of the road and stopped(Before running into guardrail that was coming up...that I couldn't see). I had to watch the line on the side of the road in the mirror to see where I was at.

I then used a bungee strap to "safety" it for years after that. It was a PITA to open/close, but didn't have to worry about it opening unannounced!

The big thing is to make sure the safety latch hooks and you have to pull the release all the way out to get it past it. Something that probably gets overlooked..........until something like this happens.

Looks like it didn't hurt the drip rail! Mine didn't either and didn't break the windshield either!!

I HATE trees and have cut most of the down around my garage just because of this chance.
Name:  3Z6Z6IX.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  402.8 KB

Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 PM
trozei
Postmaster
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a seemingly popular bumpside hood in half decent condition, but I finally found one. While I was at work today, I had my dad head down a bit West of Olympia, WA to go pick out a hood. I would've joined him, but I can't afford to take any time off work right now with everything that's been going on recently, from the dirtbike rebuild to the BMW to the hood fiasco. Anyway, the guy said he had five and this was his best one. $150. I haven't even seen a picture of it yet, but my dad said it was okay. Just some minor surface rust underneath, which is nothing to worry about. I'm unsure what year the hood is off of. I'll figure it out when I see it.

My dad also spotted a 240 six cylinder head for me. Those damn things are hard to find! I've been looking forever and everywhere and asking pretty well everyone, often getting laughed at with a smug, "Good luck finding one" comment attached. I'll have this head completely refurbished with hardened valve seats. I can't wait until I have a peppy six under the hood.

Thanks to Serfbored's source, I ordered up some NOS hinges and a latch on the 18th, but I received no shipping confirmation or anything. I called them today and they said they'd been waiting for my response to their e-mail. What e-mail? I didn't get one. Anyway, that's all been cleared up and those are expected to ship out tomorrow.

I'm getting sick of driving the car. I want my truck back. It'll happen soon enough. I've been pulling off the hood whenever sunny and whenever I had someone to help me do it, but for the most part the hood has been just kinda sitting on the truck, rendering it immovable. One thing I'll miss though is the added handling of the non-existent hood. I swear that truck handled 10x better without the hood.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a seemingly popular bumpside hood in half decent condition, but I finally found one.

One thing I'll miss though is the added handling of the non-existent hood. I swear that truck handled 10x better without the hood.
Yea it's hard to find parts for what seems to be a very common and popular truck. Even I don't find many down here.

I bet it did handle better! That hood weighs a lot!

Quick Reply: You hear about it happening but you never expect to have it happen to you.