Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,172 Posts
sure that dodge is a nice truck........................................now.
what will it be in 2-3 years after being worked to death?
i have been in them all. and the superduty with a 6.7 diesel still runs circles around the others.
57,000 miles now, and still rolls down the road at 42,000 lbs like the brand new one that came in 2 weeks ago.
F-550 crewcab with 6 ton of stone in the 12 foot dump body towing a 22 ft trailer with a 272 cat skid steer, and a set of forks, clam shell bucket and 48 inch miller head on the trailer.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:50 AM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
Cmon man,, this whole FORD didn't take a bailout is crap..They sure did take a bailout.. They borrowed 5.9 billion from the Federal Govt back in 2009 before the other automakers declared bankruptcy..And Ford still owes some of that money back to taxpayers..This is the biggest scam or gimmick Ford marketed to act like they are a strong American company..They got in before the Detroit collapse,,they didn't take as much as others but they just didn't wait to declare bankruptcy and call it a bailout but its a bailout none the same..they had to go to the Fed Govt to get the 5.9 billion..
Consider me un-educated on that. I was simply going by the highly publicized bail out of the other two. Now I know. Either way, if you cut me, I bleed Blue. I will be a Ford man for life.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:52 AM
jeepnford
Senior User
If you want a comfy truck with lots of gizmos to haul your golfing irons to the country club, buy a Dodge or Chevy. If you want a truck to work, buy the Ford. The one thing I don't like about my new Ford, if you have the center flip up seat in place of the console you really have no storage and no drink holders with someone in the center.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by diggintrenches
Consider me un-educated on that. I was simply going by the highly publicized bail out of the other two. Now I know. Either way, if you cut me, I bleed Blue. I will be a Ford man for life.
Me too, I love my FORD trucks,,problems and all..no disrespect intended just wanted to make sure people knew FORD is no saint in this bailout mess. I got a 14 SD so I'm all in for the next 10 years..

Old 03-08-2014, 08:05 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I know of 2 people off the top of my head with the late model Dodges. The one person is a friend of mine who has been running Dodge trucks as his personal vehicle for about 10 years now. He never let's them get past a certain age or mileage. His last trade in had no more than 30,000 miles and his claim was it could not tow a Kawasaki mule on a trailer. It was a 2009 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I said yeah right. He purchased the truck with a tow package no less. So he traded that in for a 2011 Ram 2500 with a Cummins. He was actually going to Ford but he thought the Cummins had more power for towing. He has no use for a diesel other than saying he has a diesel. The other reason why he kept with Dodge, was the fact the dealership dropped their pants for the sale. The Ford dealer was not willing to give him as much money on the trade as the Dodge dealer was. Right now my friend has a 2500 Ram diesel to pull a Mule. It is a loaded truck. It's not bad. I would think about the truck as a purchase. After about a year of regular use, the truck is starting to fall apart. The running boards were ripped of it. The front end needed to be rebuilt. I think he has maybe 50K in mileage if that.

The other guy I know with the late model is the guy I referenced in my previous reply. This is a good client of mine at work. He owns a 2013 2500 Hemi loaded interior truck. He said the truck was great in the beginning but after 5000 miles of use the cab was failing off and rattling down the road. The dealer replaced the mounts and bushing for the cab. Then after another 2 months, the brakes gave out. Another month later the interior was failing off. He thinks that was due to the mechanics playing find the rattle. The dealership replaced all the brakes pads and rotors. He said the dealership turned around and gave him all kinds of free stuff for the life of the truck. He said after 10,000 miles and not even less than a year of ownership the truck is literally falling apart. The only reason why he is keeping it because of the longer warranty period. He said he will just drive it into the ground if needed.

Just knowing two people with late model units and having problems, I don't know what to really think. I could be the same way as looking at Ford and the same light. However, it came down to a Dodge or Chevy, can I just walk to my destination? LOL

Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya i know they took some money and paid it back very fast, but look at dodge they will never get there stock high enough for the goverment to sell there stock , chevys the same they have a very long way to go also , but im sure they will be free long before dodge. the only chevy i like is the new camaro but thats a differnt post.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hotrod70d
ya i know they took some money and paid it back very fast, but look at dodge they will never get there stock high enough for the goverment to sell there stock , chevys the same they have a very long way to go also , but im sure they will be free long before dodge. the only chevy i like is the new camaro but thats a differnt post.
FORD did not repay the loan back fast, they still owe. The stock is irrelevant to the idea that only GMC/Chrsyler took bailout. FORD did too, they just chose to go and borrow money from FED and restructure then declare bankruptcy and stick there handout. Either way the BIG 3 all took taxpayer monies, just different amounts..But FORD used it as a rally cry to act like they were strong and the rest were weak..If FORD didn't borrow the funds they would have been right alongside GMC/Chrysler with there hand out..didn't mean to change subject, but FORD trucks are the best built for the long haul..

Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
Me too, I love my FORD trucks,,problems and all..no disrespect intended just wanted to make sure people knew FORD is no saint in this bailout mess. I got a 14 SD so I'm all in for the next 10 years..
I didn't see your quote there. yes you are right that Ford did accept some money but nothing what the other 2 accepted. Ford had been mortgaged before all of this and used its own cash to stay afloat. This is one of the main reasons why the stock is still lower than what it should really be. If the gov't had not bailed out the other 2, the auto landscape would have radically changed even more. The employment issue would have been worse since a) you would not want to purchase a car from a bankrupt company. b) 10% of the jobs in this country are directly related to the automotive industry. Ford said if the other two went out, Ford would have probably been going for the ride too. They use many of the same parts suppliers. Even GM says they are not like the old GM. The fact remains the US gov't still retains a huge part of the ownership of the company. They have slowly been selling off shares. This has a two fold benefit. One they are making more money back than what was loan initially. 2 if the gov't sold off all the shares, it would probably cause the company to tank since people would interpret this as something is wrong here.

6 billion is nothing like what the other 2 took to stay afloat at which point, one of them is not even Chrysler anymore. Ford has been doing very well with its profits. They have been repaying everything on time for the most part. Mullaly has been a pretty kickin' CEO. I like the guy. I thought he is a great fit with Ford. I want to see him hang around for a few more years.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The Federal government sold their remaining stake in GM. We took a huge bath on both GM and Chrysler

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had to purchase a diesel right now I would buy a Dodge in a heart beat withall the recalls and buy backs and problems going on with ford diesels. Seems like once a week there is a new post on here about issues with new trucks with diesels and that's with the guys who post here. How many are out there that we don't hear about?

Gas engine on the other hand would be a toss up. Depends on what the incentives are i guess.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Green96
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
To me while the Cummins is probably one of the respected diesel engines, the rest of the Dodge truck are not so much. Even Dodge trucks here in the south are rotting away. Mostly the bedsides. I would rather fix a small problem here or there than have to be constantly chasing rust. JMHO. Also, I think that in Ford's eyes, and mine as well, these trucks were built for a purpose. Mainly to haul/tow. All the other gizmos will wear out and fail with time. The SD is more of a long term worker.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I certainly dont buy a truck for what random interior features it has...dual glove boxes? really? cargo cam...so you can look at the parts you just picked up to replace in your new dodge?

If i bought a new truck it would absolutely be a ford. still the #1 heavy duty truck out there. go read on the dodge forums about the new trucks...ford seems to be doing much better than them. and i would never buy a chevy so nothing to say about those

Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
I certainly dont buy a truck for what random interior features it has.............. cargo cam...
It's actually a second camera mounted with the 3rd brake light for hitching a gooseneck or 5th wheel. And it's a great idea, IMO, and an option i'd use. I can get pretty close on the first try, but I'm usually not dead on.

I had a 2007 Dodge 3500, with the cummins, and IMO the whole thing, engine included was a POS. Took lots of money to keep it on the road, and I sold it at 64k. Never again.

I do like the look of the new Dodges, but I'm planning on keeping this truck for 10+ years, and after 3 years with a dodge, realized it wasn't a long term truck. I still don't get the hate for the Ford dually fenders, you can actually reach into the bed to get something, where the giant fenders and height of the Dodge you always have to get in and out of the bed, which doesn't have the awesome tailgate step. And as I've said before, the MFT/ SYNC gives me no trouble.

I don't think Ford is behind. Dodge is coming up with some decent ideas and then the others can watch take and see if it's something worth adding to their option list.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
I certainly dont buy a truck for what random interior features it has...dual glove boxes? really?
I agree, I shop off the lot so what the dealer buys is what I'll end up with, so I don't really look at these options as "options", just a bonus if I can talk the dealer down on the entire truck. Even if I ordered a new one I'm a gearhead, not an interior decorator

The entire "Laramie Longhorn vs Platinum" who's-interior-is-the-fanciest debate only matters if you're shopping at the higher end trims. Lower end Dodge's still have cheap POS interiors compared to an XLT Ford. My truck is 7 years old and the cloth and carpet are in pristine shape (I'm on the first set of seat covers and floormats still), no seams are pulling out, no fabric is showing major wear, and the padding is still comfortable to sit on. All the plastic is still the right color and where it started out, the vinyl hasn't cracked or torn. The only part that looks worse for the wear is the seatbelt, and the steering wheel is starting to peel a little.

So even if Ford's ultra-fancy interior isn't as ultra-fancy as someone else, their regular trucks are standing the test of time daily. Dodge might be ahead in the new interiors today, but their reputation isn't exactly being burnished by all their used trucks still rotting away.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey what happened to that little grey car in your sig?

Quick Reply: YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?