Mountain Master air ride hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Trucker Kev
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mountain Master air ride hitch

I couldn't find too much recent info on these when I was doing my research, so I thought I'd share my experience with my recently acquired air ride hitch made by Mountain Master. Air Ride Hitch

I found a lightly used one, about 7 years old, on craigslist and picked it up for about 1/3 the price of a new one. I had to drive 4 hours (each way) but it was worth it. It's very well made and VERY heavy. It is all powder coated black. I have pulled both my RV and my equipment trailer with it. My equipment trailer has 8,000 Dexter axles and rides very stiff. This hitch all but eliminated the bouncing and bucking I was getting with my gooseneck set up. I changed out the coupler on the trailer to a 5th wheel king pin to work with this hitch. There is about 4 inches of vertical travel on the air bag and the hitch head slides fore and aft on a set of grease-able rails between a set of rubber bumpers. The side to side tilting and fore and aft movement of the hitch head is dampened by a couple of short Monroe shocks. I would say the ride has improved about 80% with each trailer. Chucking is greatly reduced. You can really see the hitch working while going down the road.

For anyone considering an air ride hitch, get one!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Trucker Kev
I couldn't find too much recent info on these when I was doing my research, so I thought I'd share my experience with my recently acquired air ride hitch made by Mountain Master. Air Ride Hitch

I found a lightly used one, about 7 years old, on craigslist and picked it up for about 1/3 the price of a new one. I had to drive 4 hours (each way) but it was worth it. It's very well made and VERY heavy. It is all powder coated black. I have pulled both my RV and my equipment trailer with it. My equipment trailer has 8,000 Dexter axles and rides very stiff. This hitch all but eliminated the bouncing and bucking I was getting with my gooseneck set up. I changed out the coupler on the trailer to a 5th wheel king pin to work with this hitch. There is about 4 inches of vertical travel on the air bag and the hitch head slides fore and aft on a set of grease-able rails between a set of rubber bumpers. The side to side tilting and fore and aft movement of the hitch head is dampened by a couple of short Monroe shocks. I would say the ride has improved about 80% with each trailer. Chucking is greatly reduced. You can really see the hitch working while going down the road.

For anyone considering an air ride hitch, get one!
Looks like the real deal. You were lucky to find that. I have only seen them very infrequently and have never known anyone who owns one.

Steve

Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a really interesting hitch! Kind of like a truck side version of a Trailair pin box. Makes me wonder how smooth the two together might be.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Trucker Kev
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had never seen one in person either. After a cracked frame on one of my trailers I started looking into options to smooth out the ride. There are lots of different products out there but I wanted to get the benefits while pulling either my gooseneck or 5th wheel. It was easier, cheaper, and a more solid connection to convert my gooseneck to a 5th wheel than the other way around. I did read that people who have both an air ride hitch and a cushioned pin box said the advantage was negligible. They said the hitch made the biggest difference and you can keep it and install it into any truck.