1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New to forum just bought F6 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! That's a solid looking truck. What are your plans?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice! I love yellow. I would think that the truck was a highway vehicle?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Ajohns1141
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Welcome to FTE!
Looks like a fairly solid truck. Can't see the rear wheels on the truck, but if they have the same rims as the ones leaned against the truck, you will be wanting to look for some replacement rims, as those are widowmakers.
She's getting trailered home and torn down before she thinks of seeing the road again. The only real rough spot on the truck I noticed was lots of rust on the roof. This will be a lengthy process but I couldn't pass up the $100 price tag!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Well, cool looking truck. It looks like you have been introduced to your first questions. Widowmakers. The bane of the larger trucks.

Since it sounds like you are staying more stock. You need to get this book on CD.
1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

You will also probably need to get to know Chuck from Chuck's Trucks.
Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

All the big truck guys on this forum will be a great help with the harder to find parts. There are a lot of us wannabe big truck guys, so we help were we can.
Good luck and be sure to post lots of pictures for us. Take every picture you possibly can as you work on this truck. It's guaranteed you will not remember how things go back together. (Well at least for me anyway.)

Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajohns1141
She's getting trailered home and torn down before she thinks of seeing the road again. The only real rough spot on the truck I noticed was lots of rust on the roof. This will be a lengthy process but I couldn't pass up the $100 price tag!
Well now you went and did it. You just made every guy on the forum jealous. Why can't I find deals like that.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Ajohns1141
New User
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
Very nice! I love yellow. I would think that the truck was a highway vehicle?
It was used as a farm truck origin all then used to haul firewood for a few years in the early 70's. The guy I got it from is the great grandson of the original owner.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Ajohns1141
New User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Well, cool looking truck. It looks like you have been introduced to your first questions. Widowmakers. The bane of the larger trucks.

Since it sounds like you are staying more stock. You need to get this book on CD.

1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

You will also probably need to get to know Chuck from Chuck's Trucks.
Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

All the big truck guys on this forum will be a great help with the harder to find parts. There are a lot of us wannabe big truck guys, so we help were we can.
Good luck and be sure to post lots of pictures for us. Take every picture you possibly can as you work on this truck. It's guaranteed you will not remember how things go back together. (Well at least for me anyway.)
Thank you. I'll have to look into those.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Welcome to the insanity!
The bigger trucks share much of the sheet metal and drive train stuff. As for running gear, rear ends, brakes, well, not so many reproductions made for the bigger beasts. Get to know Chuck of Chuck's Trucks, LLC. He'll help with many hard to find parts. Make a plan that fits your budget. Frankly, you can probably expect as much as $2000 or more for wheels and tires.

That's one dirty monkey!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
as some have mentioned Chuck's is a good source, but you will be amazed at how many parts for these trucks are available at your local NAPA store. If you get some young kid at the counter that can't find what your talking about, don't give up. Many of us can help you with the proper part #'s.
If you need help with wheels for your truck you will find a few members here who regularly get their hands on the replacement wheels, Truckdog, JMadsen and myself usually manage to find them. Your best bet might be Truckdog, his son is in Oregon and usually has some of the wheels there.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Ajohns1141
New User
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Welcome to the insanity!
The bigger trucks share much of the sheet metal and drive train stuff. As for running gear, rear ends, brakes, well, not so many reproductions made for the bigger beasts. Get to know Chuck of Chuck's Trucks, LLC.
He'll help with many hard to find parts. Make a plan that fits your budget. Frankly, you can probably expect as much as $2000 or more for wheels and tires.

That's one dirty monkey!
Luckily it's mostly complete. Just needing lots of assistance getting back on the road. Wheels and tires can wait a few years. I'll start saving now😀. I'm excited to dig into this thing!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Frankly, you can probably expect as much as $2000 or more for wheels and tires.
Not sure I'd want to spend that on a $100 truck. And from the description, if I understand correctly, the truck will be apart for a while and won't be needing wheels and tires right away. I agree that the WMs should be either discarded or otherwise rendered harmless, but replacements can wait. There are still yards in Oregon so used replacement lock ring or tubeless wheels and tires could be gathered up as they go. I absolutely agree that Chuck is the best source for big truck parts. Stu

Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Ajohns1141
New User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
as some have mentioned Chuck's is a good source, but you will be amazed at how many parts for these trucks are available at your local NAPA store. If you get some young kid at the counter that can't find what your talking about, don't give up. Many of us can help you with the proper part #'s.
If you need help with wheels for your truck you will find a few members here who regularly get their hands on the replacement wheels, Truckdog, JMadsen and myself usually manage to find them. Your best bet might be Truckdog, his son is in Oregon and usually has some of the wheels there.
Thank you! Sounds like you guys are going to be a ton of help once the weather lets this project begin. On that note, since many of you sound like people that have projects. Where is the most strategic place to begin on this thing? I plan on a full tear down. Is there a good starting place (like maybe something that has potential to take a longer time) or cost the most money? I know engine and tranny are potential money pits but other than that?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Get the title settled first.
Then, many of us would propose that you get it running and drive it a bit if possible. That will let it tell you what it really needs.
However, as for me, I always do a thorough brake job before most anything else when I start a project. Because, you have to be able to make it stop before you can make it go.
The fuel tank(s?) may be needing help before you trash a newly-built carb or fuel pump, so check it carefully for rust and sediment.
Do not disassemble anything without multiple pictures. If it's not going right back together, label everything. Note long or short screw locations. Get pictures. Box, bag, and label - and then box, bag, and label the labelled bags and boxes. Get the picture? I have been meticulous and I've still had specific hardware magically disappear.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:36 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Depends on how far apart you take it. If it will have body removed and take up residence in boxes you will be (like me) having to do probably the chassis first then the body, wiring, etc. Since you are already accepting a long slog with engine, tranny rebuilds, I'd suggest thinking early about the brakes and brake lines. NOS drums don't exist, so finding good used will be needed. Ford spec's on overturning drums is .020 on the fronts, which isn't hard to exceed. Brake shoes will need to be relined too rather than replaced. Master cylinder and wheel cylinders are from Chuck. Brake line comes from Napa or where ever you like. Buy yourself a good double flairing tool and a bender. Stu

Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Ajohns1141
New User
Get the title settled first.
Then, many of us would propose that you get it running and drive it a bit if possible. That will let it tell you what it really needs.
However, as for me, I always do a thorough brake job before most anything else when I start a project. Because, you have to be able to make it stop before you can make it go.
The fuel tank(s?) may be needing help before you trash a newly-built carb or fuel pump, so check it carefully for rust and sediment.
Do not disassemble anything without multiple pictures. If it's not going right back together, label everything. Note long or short screw locations. Get pictures. Box, bag, and label - and then box, bag, and label the labelled bags and boxes. Get the picture? I have been meticulous and I've still had specific hardware magically disappear.
Great info! You are the 2nd person to mention pictures. The labeling idea on top of labeling is solid too. Thank you. I was thinking of getting it running first also but thought that may be jumping the gun. I think brakes and engine/tranny will be my first step

Quick Reply: New to forum just bought F6 project