Restoring Grandpa's '57 F100 - First Truck and First Post

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're gonna stick with the 272, and I would if it proves to run good,
FORD Y
This is a link you'll need, specially if you decide to do a 272/T5. You already have the correct bell housing so that's worth considering

Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vntgtrk
If you're gonna stick with the 272, and I would if it proves to run good,
FORD Y
This is a link you'll need, specially if you decide to do a 272/T5. You already have the correct bell housing so that's worth considering
Thanks for the website and info. I will probably go with the T5 or C4 if I do not like the stock trans. It just depends on how I like the stock 3 speed I guess...

Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how did it get the name Teddy?
Well one of my first impressions of him was he was "rough rider" hence the name Theodore Roosevelt, Teddy for short.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Well one my first impressions of him was he was "rough rider" hence the name Theodore Roosevelt, Teddy for short.
Wow! Cool Story! Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Well lookie here, right on this here fridge forum. BTW they're nicknamed fridges because they were the first to have the boxy, refrigerator shape.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14136851

Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Well lookie here, right on this here fridge forum. BTW they're nicknamed fridges because they were the first to have the boxy, refrigerator shape.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14136851
Thanks for the info how they got to be called fridges and also for the link to the build thread! Looks like a great build!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 AM
D57
Freshman User
I would agree with keeping your truck pretty much stock looking. Should have a nice patina. but I think you're on the right track with modifying it for improved drivability and safety. Shoulder harnesses, disk brakes, and getting the gas tank out of the cab are all great ideas.

I'm a hot rod guy though. I wouldn't hesitate to swap in a 302 and throw on some bigger wheels and tires. Have fun with it. Bounce some ideas off your grandpa.

The thing is modern traffic runs a lot faster today than it used to. One of my vehicles is a '71 International Scout which has been in my wife's family since new. I've kept it pretty much stock except for a few add ons. It's a blast to drive, but if you have to do a panic stop or a quick maneuver on the freeway look out! If you're gonna drive it daily make it able to keep up with traffic and keep it safe. Most of all have fun with it!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM
kjdungan
Senior User
Taylor, Welcome and as they said bag and tag everything. Also take a ton of pictures (down to the minute detail) as you begin taking it apart. Create a photo gallery that you can document as you go along. As you take things apart and get the feeling that you don't need a picture, take one anyways. :-) As for your glass - guard it with all you've got. It is not easy to replace. If you are going to remove it, find a safe place and put warning signs around it.

If you get a chance, get a few truck pics with you and your grandpa. You won't know how much you appreciate them until later.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:28 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by kjdungan
Taylor, Welcome and as they said bag and tag everything. Also take a ton of pictures (down to the minute detail) as you begin taking it apart. Create a photo gallery that you can document as you go along. As you take things apart and get the feeling that you don't need a picture, take one anyways. :-) As for your glass - guard it with all you've got. It is not easy to replace. If you are going to remove it, find a safe place and put warning signs around it.

If you get a chance, get a few truck pics with you and your grandpa. You won't know how much you appreciate them until later.
Yes, by all means, bag and tag. Take pics of assemblies, even reassemble some things when you can. Trust us on this. If you don't, well, I hope you know all your swear words.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:23 AM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Originally Posted by D57
I would agree with keeping your truck pretty much stock looking. Should have a nice patina. but I think you're on the right track with modifying it for improved drivability and safety. Shoulder harnesses, disk brakes, and getting the gas tank out of the cab are all great ideas.

I'm a hot rod guy though. I wouldn't hesitate to swap in a 302 and throw on some bigger wheels and tires. Have fun with it. Bounce some ideas off your grandpa.

The thing is modern traffic runs a lot faster today than it used to. One of my vehicles is a '71 International Scout which has been in my wife's family since new. I've kept it pretty much stock except for a few add ons. It's a blast to drive, but if you have to do a panic stop or a quick maneuver on the freeway look out! If you're gonna drive it daily make it able to keep up with traffic and keep it safe. Most of all have fun with it!
Thanks for the ideas! Yep, I think I am pretty much going to go stock for now except for some safety stuff and a few other things. I am going to keep the orginial paint unless it is in very poor shape. I will just have to see how it cleans up...

Originally Posted by kjdungan

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions! Love taking pics of it so that will not be an issue. I will make sure to keep everything bagged and organized as well. All the glass is in great shape except for the driver's glass which will need to be replaced. I would take the pics with grandpa, but unfortunately, he can't move around very good anymore to get outside.

Yes, by all means, bag and tag. Take pics of assemblies, even reassemble some things when you can. Trust us on this. If you don't, well, I hope you know all your swear words.
Yep, will definitively take pics and bag and organize everything!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 AM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Update on My Truck

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to give you a update on my truck:

Was able to change the tires yesterday (ones that were on it were flat) and get the truck out of Grandpa's barn thanks to the help of my dad and my Grandpa's neighbor. Everything went smoothly. As a side note, the gentleman who helped us get it out of the barn actually remembers when the truck was on the road in the 60's and 70's!

The rollback tow truck came a little while later and we were able to get it home without any issues! I think the tow guy wanted to take it home with him! LOL!

I am happy to say that my truck is officially home now!!!! It was so great to see all the hard work and planning finally pay off and I can't wait to start cleaning it up and working on it!

As some of you may know, since I have seen the truck more, I have decided to change my mind of how I am going to do the restoration...At first, I was going to tear it all down to the frame and restore it, but have since decided to get it drivable and use it and fix it up as time and money allows. Think I will enjoy it alot more this way. Am going to stay stock for now but do a few safety and other upgrades.

Anyways, here are a few pics of it just after I got it home yesterday afternoon:

Looks like someone had a horse shoe mounted to the hood at some point! LOL!

Pretty solid for a 57 year old truck! Planning to get it all cleaned up either today or tomorrow (will post more pics when I get it done) and will see what I have to work with and start making a plan! Definitively was a great early Birthday Present (My 18th B-Day is tomorrow)!!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:56 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Horseshoe is way cool! Need to leave that. Good conversation piece. Just don't turn it upside down or the good luck will run out

Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Horseshoe is way cool! Need to leave that. Good conversation piece. Just don't turn it upside down or the good luck will run out
LOL! I hate to burst your bubble, but I think the horse shoe rusted off a long time ago...What is there is just the imprint of it (I know, hard to tell). Thinking I will put the correct hood emblem on it and keep the imprint of the old shoe. I did find 4 horse shoes in the cab along with a vintage glass soda bottle!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Taylor looks great in the light of day, glad you have it home where you can get started. I like you action plan, get some miles on it then you will for certain where you want to take it.
Good luck and have fun!
Happy birthday again!

Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Taylor looks great in the light of day, glad you have it home where you can get started. I like you action plan, get some miles on it then you will for certain where you want to take it.
Good luck and have fun!
Happy birthday again!
Thanks for the kind words and for the B-Day wish! I am very happy with how it looks in the light (Better than I thought it would). Yep, I think my new action plan is the way to go...I will be able to see how I like the truck how it is like you said plus be able to enjoy it while I fix it up. I am sure I will have lots of fun and will be sure to keep you guys updated on my progress!

Quick Reply: Restoring Grandpa's '57 F100 - First Truck and First Post