1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

O/T Looking back.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Branded
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't believe I made it....

Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Yep, I made it too.
We have so many allergies now a days, I think because kids are never exposed to anything since they are cooped up inside in controlled environments and using hand sanitizer every 30 seconds. If you are never exposed to germs, you body doesn't know how to fight them off.

All summer I would ride my bike across 7 hills, a mean road, and meet my friends and play and ride bikes all over. I was at the pool every day as well, riding my bike there and back.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
I can recall sitting on my Schwinn at the top of a man made hill (from a construction site), looking at my friend, knowing it was gonna hurt, then pushing off and haulin the mail downhill to a cinder block/plywood jump that was engineered by the two of us.......I racked myself so bad that I think I blacked out! LOL!!

I MADE IT!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes we made it , and wasn't it fun in the process

Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Most of the local school systems don't allow kids to walk or ride bikes to school. They have to ride the bus or be dropped off by their parents.

Recess, if they have it, is 30 minutes and gym class is 40. I wonder why kids have a weight problem?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by oldmerc
Yes we made it , and wasn't it fun in the process
Heck yeah!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you gotten your grand kids, or kids, hands dirty on an old Ford lately, if not, maybe you should. Help them make it like we did.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We took sugar cubes to wipe out Polio, and ****** for small pox, and the Dr. came to my house every time I got pneumonia. Learned duck and cover in case the USSR attacked. We road our bikes everywhere. Now mothers are to scared to vaccinate for anything. Little guys like me learned to fight early but that was just going to school. Now its bullying and there frantic, teach you boys to fight if they have to, but never, ever hit a girl. Why do 8 year olds need a cell phone? I very much enjoyed that video Drewski thanks for posting.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Watching this video sure brought it home to what a different world we live in today. The video was a perfect description of my younger years and yeah I got banged up but I did live through it and I had a great time. And as an added bonus most of the guys and gals I grew up around are still around today and we have an old farts reunion every couple years.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
And we had fun.... Kids didn't get in trouble for drawing a picture of a gun. We didn't have all the problems of kids bringing guns to shoot their pears at school. My dad had some 30 guns in a glassed case, with the ammo in the bottom draw and use kids knew where the key was. 20 kids together was playing a game, now the cops think they are up to something and usually are. We went to school if we got bumps and cuts, my daughter's friends stayed home because of a pimple. Will riding my bike as a kid I flew over the handlebars as my front wheel went into a pothole going down a street we called "Suicide Hill", ended up with road rash so bad I had to wear a patch over my eye... Pirate time... I was way cool!

This reminds me of a song "Different World" by Bucky Covington
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HJWEvP9gtww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 02-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I survived the last chapter of that era. Just a handful of the things I learned BEFORE I was 13 years old:
  • A homeade cannon made out of old-fashioned pop cans will shoot a tennis ball to the moon if you fill it full of lighter fluid, but it might also blow your damn head off.
  • When you're five years old, if you pull that shiny inside door handle on an Oldsmobile 442 while it's zooming down main street doing about 35 mph, that door will indeed fly open and almost kill somebody on the street.
  • A mother's right arm suddenly flying in front of your chest just before a possible crash was the first seat belt I ever saw.
  • My third grade teacher was a big man, and that 3/4" thick solid oak paddle blistering my *** was all I needed to shut my mouth and behave.
  • If you throw your motorcycle helmet over in the weeds when you're out of sight from your mom, you'll look cool, but you might not make it back home with all your brains intact.
  • When you're 8 years old, and your dad buys your first 410 shotgun, he might have to take a hack saw and cut off 3 or 4 inches from the stock so that you can properly reach the trigger. That was gun control back then.
  • Nobody ever even fathomed getting a real gun out of the closet or gun cabinet when playing with our friends. We played with plastic guns and swords.
  • When you get to 100,000 points on Asteroids, the score resets itself. But only geeks stayed inside and played Atari when the sun was still shining.
  • When you're 13 years old, and your mom tells you to take the family's 78 LTD down the road and get your younger brother from football practice, you don't back talk, you just do it.
  • A 351 engine will really move, even if you're having to look through the steering wheel at the road.
  • If you're too lazy to get a proper wrench, and you use JB Weld to tighten up a spark plug in the lawnmower engine, your dad will get REALLY pissed when he gets home from work.
  • If you spend all day emptying the gun powder out of a case of firecrackers into a big homeade fire cracker, you've essentially created a small stick of dynamite.
  • The police don't always take you to jail when they catch you on the highway on your dirt bike.
  • When your dad only buys ONE single baseball for you per year, you learn to swim the creek if needed to get it back after home runs. Same goes for your football and basketball.

Kids had sense back then. We knew how far we could push it, but we usually knew where the stopping point was. I miss those days.......

Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by Doc
I survived the last chapter of that era. Just a handful of the things I learned BEFORE I was 13 years old:
  • The police don't always take you to jail when they catch you on the highway on your dirt bike.
No, it was much worse than jail. They would mention it to your parents at church the next Sunday.