1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Carb Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Ok, guys, Bill and I've talked in the background about the value of his carb. As Jim pointed out, that thing is worth a bunch of money since it is specific to a serious muscle car. I don't think it is a good idea to modify his carb to fit my needs - especially when a generic carb can be modified to do the same thing.

Let me say it differently. Bill's carb has mods made to the secondary boosters to make the distribution of fuel fit the FE engine and iron intake's peculiarities. And it isn't likely that a 335 series engine with an aftermarket carb will have those same peculiarities, so the secondary boosters would really need to be swapped for generic boosters. But since that seriously devalues a valuable carb why not just modify the 750 CFM carb I have by installing either a set of "truck" boosters or swipe the annular boosters from the 4180 I have. It is basically six of one and half a dozen of another whether the primary or secondary boosters are swapped. And, my book says that The Carb Shop sells annular boosters for specific applications, so that is another source.

So, what about this plan? I'll take the engine to the dyno with both the Street Demon and the 750 CFM Holley and test both carbs in stock form. Then, when the truck is installed in the truck I'll use the AFR meter to dial in both carbs and see how I like them. And then I could swap the primary boosters to Holley o either annular or "truck" style and dial it in with that arrangement. That way Bill's carb can remain pristine and I can still try different boosters.

What do y'all think?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I think you prefer the Carter style. Carb snd are more comfortable with it.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That's true, Jim. I like the simplicity of that design. But I will admit there appears to be more tuneability on the Holleys, especially with a range of boosters available. However, the "triple-stack" boosters on the Street Demon look like they may provide the signal needed so I may already have a good solution. I just want something to benchmark against and I think a 750 Holley may be the ticket.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:28 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

"tuneability"?

Why aren't you looking at an Inglese induction quad Weber intake like fitted to the Pantera's?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jim, the way Tim is setting up Gary's engine it could probably do quite well with a set of 48IDA Webers.

Gary, if you stick the "truck" boosters in the 750 you will basically have the primaries of the 735, then if you pull the small cross section secondaries from the junk 3310 you will have the other half. I will get you the jet sizes off the CJ carb and measure the main air bleeds. FWIW, Holley now fits their carbs with interchangeable air bleeds and sells them separately (We used to do that at Preston 40 years ago) so if you use your Bridgeport and drill and tap the holes you can tune it like a Weber.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Jim - I think "tuneability" means the ability to be tuned. But from what I've read those Webers require tuning - frequently. And, oddly enough, very few of the guys on the 335 Series forum with Panteras run Webers. So, while they look impressive I think I'll go for something a bit more simple, thank you very much.

Bill - Wouldn't the 750 4150 already have the small cross-section secondary boosters? I'll look tomorrow, if I get a chance, and see.

But the fact that you can get the various bleeds and tubes from Holley is what I meant by "tuneability". That's a big difference from the Edelbrock carbs where you start out with either the "economy" version, like the 1406, or the "power" version, like the 1405. As Bruno and I found, there are significant differences between those two carbs that can't be easily changed as Edelbrock doesn't sell the parts. So that intrigues me about the Holley. But maybe I'll be happy with the Street Demon?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

They're not Stromberg's, SU's or the Mitsubishi's found on Datsun Zcars....

They need to be tuned, but at least they hold an adjustment.
If you played a Stradivarius in an orchestra you would tune it every night.
Any Italian finely tuned precision instrument can be capricious but bring great joy, not only to the one playing it, but to all within earshot.

The women are like this too!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Hopefully you'll be happy with the Street Demon!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like that idea about blue printing the carb as Bill suggested.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Jim - I think "tuneability" means the ability to be tuned. But from what I've read those Webers require tuning - frequently. And, oddly enough, very few of the guys on the 335 Series forum with Panteras run Webers. So, while they look impressive I think I'll go for something a bit more simple, thank you very much.

Bill - Wouldn't the 750 4150 already have the small cross-section secondary boosters? I'll look tomorrow, if I get a chance, and see.

But the fact that you can get the various bleeds and tubes from Holley is what I meant by "tuneability". That's a big difference from the Edelbrock carbs where you start out with either the "economy" version, like the 1406, or the "power" version, like the 1405. As Bruno and I found, there are significant differences between those two carbs that can't be easily changed as Edelbrock doesn't sell the parts. So that intrigues me about the Holley. But maybe I'll be happy with the Street Demon?
Holley got into partnership with Weber back in the early 70s with the Pinto 2 bbls. Carter sold their YF family to Weber, look at some of the later ones, they say "Carter-Weber" on them. Go to Holley's website and look at the parts, there are tons of jets, both main and air.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I spent 3 weeks in Italy last year and saw how the Italian women age. So, if it is fair to compare, do the Italian carburetors age the same way their women do?

Yes, I hope to be happy with the Street Demon. I don't want to tune the Strad for every performance. I like the idea of a simple but effective carb that I can tune once and not have to worry about later.

As for blue printing, I will check the SD out to see what it might need. But at first glance it is pretty well fettled so may not need much.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

That's Holley for you.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Well fettled???

Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Well fettled???
You don't remember Brad's description? Fettling being the removal of the casting flashing? Back when I was working the crank?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I know what fettling is.
I had a GF that worked at Tallix art foundry

I don't understand what this has to do with Holley's.
They are just media tumbled.

Quick Reply: Dad's Carb Choice