Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anybody have the GTP38R

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
Wouldnt the map change with a different compressor wheel (billet ported wheel)? It's not a stock turbo anymore. These arguments sound like similar ones from the weight police saying an F350 maxes out at 9900 GVWR on the sticker, regardless of the modifications to the suspension, etc.

I wonder if Clay would have the map on a turbo modified with a ported housing and his ported compressor wheel. I might have to give him a call.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:41 PM
vtown00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems BWST def a learning exp for me, this is my first diesel and I'm still trying to figure everything out. Just while replacing things I want them to be good for awhile. Truck only has 100,000 on it.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Man, that's great - that's a young truck. The stocker is a good turbo, and the GTP38R is good as well. This pieced together turbo upgrade I'm clammering about is because I already invested in the ported compressor housing, and have a 1.0 turbine housing on the bench. Small cost for me to add a billet compressor wheel and go. For you, a ready-to-go bolt-on might be better. Good luck with this.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Jason, I love you man..... buuuuuut that just doesn't make sense.

Your restrictions are the intercooler and the heads. Boost numbers are not a measurement of restriction with regards to the turbo. The entire point of a turbo is to pack more air into the same space, which of course increases what the boost gauge reads.

Turbos flow air and create heat. How efficiently they do it depends on their MAP. Generally the more efficient ones also tend to achieve a higher boost number because they are actually flowing more air and doing their job, and that air is only going in one direction.

Or if you are just way beyond the MAP and creating that much heat.....

But you should see a common theme with my post...... MAP!
Curits, I love you too.

I am tired tonight so I won't be able to do some research to bett explain myself, but I will in the near future.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Noticed a recent review on Clay's site under the billet wheel for ported housings:

Posted by Dave on Feb 23rd 2014

I ordered this along with a new Center Cartridge. My boost is up by 4 psi and I have a quicker throttle response. Thank you for another great product.

4 psi more and quick spoolup would be a nice gain, if the stocker can handle it. Would Clay sell it if it could not?

Anyone know this "Dave"?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:03 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
Curits, I love you too.

I am tired tonight so I won't be able to do some research to bett explain myself, but I will in the near future.
I think what you were trying to refer to Jason was the correlation between boost and CFM. There are turbo setups (the 38R being one of them) that can move more CFM of air at a lower boost number. People get caught up in peak boost numbers. There is so much more to making power than just peak boost. CFM is part of that equation

Originally Posted by BWST
Noticed a recent review on Clay's site under the billet wheel for ported housings:

Posted by Dave on Feb 23rd 2014

I ordered this along with a new Center Cartridge. My boost is up by 4 psi and I have a quicker throttle response. Thank you for another great product.

4 psi more and quick spoolup would be a nice gain, if the stocker can handle it. Would Clay sell it if it could not?

Anyone know this "Dave"?
I'm sure Clay's customer base extends far beyond just us guys here at FTE. These billet wheel/turbo threads have gotten kinda ridiculous at this point. If they didn't work, word would be all over the internet already. We don't need to go hunting people down to interrogate them over a random review they wrote. LOL

Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, Peter, I am talking about volume of air. Boost is a measure of restriction, more than volume. There are forced induction set-ups that are waaaay more efficient and add more power at say 20psi than others at 30 psi.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am running a 38R and it is a fine option. My truck already had bellowed uppipes or I would have used one of the T4 mounts and turbos available for Irate Diesel or DP Tuner. They are more efficient and offer a greater ability to grow as you build your truck.
If you are looking for an easy drop-in, you can't deat a 38R.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont like the 38R for the fact that you cant rebuild it, to me that sucks.
i hear the van turbos are nice upgrade.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:53 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
40psi is not inside a van turbos map.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by snakedoc
i dont like the 38R for the fact that you cant rebuild it, to me that sucks.
i hear the van turbos are nice upgrade.
Yeah, but how often does one need to be rebuilt?

Stewart

Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
I replaced my 38R last year with about 60k miles on it due to oil smoke. I had some wear metals show up in my UOA and was tired of chasing the smoke problem. It was more prominent in cold weather and even spit oil at the turbine outlet connection at times. After its replacement, the levels dropped to more normal readings. Switching back to Rotella 15w-40 dino also helped with the oil improvements. Garrett had some tooling issues back in '09 when I purchased mine. I tried to get a replacement center cartridge, but none was offered for the 38R. Clay helped we me out with getting a new complete turbo replacement and I added his RR 11 vane billet compressor wheel at that time. I love the compliment the wheel gives to the 38R. I later changed back from a 1.15 turbine housing to the 1.0 with a cross drilled plenum wall. I really love how all this plays well together and I have seemed to have found a "sweet spot" with this combination.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
The van turbo is pretty much a direct bolt on. Don't get too caught up in boost numbers. They are misleading, Jeff. They are a measure of restriction, not flow. The big thing about turbo's and any forced induction is, you want flow not restriction, and boost numbers are really a measure of the air stacking up in the intake side. Bigger peak boost numbers look nice, but flow is really what you are after. A bigger flowing turbo with lower boost numbers will out perform a less efficient one with higher boost numbers.
This has been working on my brain for a while now. Qualifier...I don't know nuttin' about turbos and/or fluid dynamics.

Pressure, in this case boost, is a measure of restriction. But I'm having trouble with this:

A bigger flowing turbo with lower boost numbers will out perform a less efficient one with higher boost numbers.
If a pump has the same ultimate psi capabilities as another, but one flows at a higher volume (CFM/GPM) then they both will reach the same ultimate pressure, as long as the pump with the lower CFM/GPM has time to fill the space. I don't know what, if any, valve overlap there is in a PSD. (where the intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time, but that shouldn't affect boost)

I think I get the drive pressure being different.

Help my feeble mind grasp this.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stewart
it is just a bad selling point to me, i like the van better as i can fix it cheaper then a new 38r
but for me im not looking to make 450hp i just want a good truck that will last.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Stewart
Well you would think it should last more then 60K. It sucks Roland had to replace his that early but IMO I think if they made them rebuild-able they would sell more. I hope they got the tooling issue figured out because I would like to get one down the road.

Quick Reply: Anybody have the GTP38R