6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

OK, WHAT TRUCK TO BUY

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Got it. Thank you very much. Spent the PM with a lawyer. Don't know if it will help or not but I'm gonna file it. This is kind of crazy. The lady runs me over and totals my truck. Then her insurance company decides how much property damage she did and there isn't an appeal process. Anyway, thanks a lot.

I'm thinking I'll get a new truck and then I'll be legal and I can go to
California and fill in the last state on my map.
Good decision. 350 or 450? 2x4 or 4x4?

Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I'd be shooting for a 4x4. My 6.7 has a 14K door cert. 97XX on the rear axle. Good for over 22K 5th or gooseneck.

That should do you.

I think the F450 has less payload but slightly higher towing numbers.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny thing, I'm on the 6.4L site and no one has suggested one of them. I'm really disgusted over mine. I got the engine and the tranny how I wanted them and then got wrecked. I might get another. Mine ran outstanding with the delete and tuner.
Here is a thought for you:

Buy back your totalled truck as salvage value, then buy a matching year truck with a blown engine / tranny and have your good drivetrain, tuner, etc. all moved over to the new truck. After all your totalled truck has everything perfectly intact and in a known good state beyond the rear end damage. Keep what's good and swap it into a new frame.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:37 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by UGA33
Good decision. 350 or 450? 2x4 or 4x4?
Funny, we were just talking about 2X4 vs 4X4 today. I've had the 2 wheel drive for just a little under 5 years and needed four wheel drive once, in my back yard no less. The 7.3 was 4x4, we had it for seven years and I only remember using four wheel drive once and that was in a national forest area where they required it.

But 4 wheel drive is like a hand gun, when you need it you really need it.

I drove a stock 6.4L today. I had forgotten how they drove stock. Guess I better drive a 6.7L before I buy one.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with WP6529 but we crossed this road earlier in the post.

I take it the stock 6.4 didn't thrill you, , I hear what you say about driving a 6.7, it might not thrill you either, most here would think it's way above the 6.4, but only a couple have had a tuned 6.4, and some who did have a tuned 6.4 might just have a tuned 6.7.

Ya know Stanley, from what I've been told about California it might not be worth the investment. LOL, I forgot,>>> what do they say, it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't live there, who knows maybe it is.

I know it's no where near the scale of your accident but the wifes van got backed into by a semi at work the other day, no witnesses, but it was the only truck that could have done it, still doesn't matter, I'm out $500 bucks, no doubt a spit in the bucket compared to what your going through, but it still sucks. No matter what you think, even if you know what should happen for it to be fair, just doesn't happen.

My .02C on the 4WD, I don't have one, never have and never needed on, and I live in Michigan, working on a record snowfall this year. We just went down to Missouri to pick up a 2008 F250 for my son, 4WD, I took it out to the store after a pounding of snow, it was nice, not like I would sell mine to by a 4WD, but it sure was nice.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM
todouble
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my vote is another 6.4. You already know the ins/outs of them. besides the 6.4 forum is a little slow these days. there dropping like flies and im feeling a little lonely over here.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
The more I think about it more undecided I become. There are 2 2007 6.0Ls with real low miles. But one's in Knoxville and the other is up by Jacksonville. I'd really like to check one out but its a long trip just to look and they are too old to buy on line and then go pick up. I have to make a decision soon though.

As to putting the engine and tranny in a straight truck, that's just more work than I want to do or pay for. All I want is a reasonable amount of money for my truck. I can tell you for sure that if someone had offered me what they say it's worth I would have laughed.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Just wondering what the buy back was?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 AM
todouble
Junior User
How many years more do you plan on towing that fiver? Does it make sense to buy a new truck and go through outfitting it the way you like for only a couple more years? I do like the later model 6.0's but like the 6.4 you have to keep an eye maintenance items. Good news is you wouldn't have to fool with a DPF delete.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Geico (might as well give them some free pub) determined my truck to be worth 27,000 bucks. They found 3 comps to support that figure. 1 in Albertville AL. 1 in some other small town in Alabama and 1 in Jacksonville Fl. Now, I'm in Fort Myers FL. where everything cost more. My home is in ATL. I guess they couldn't find any comps there, I gave them a list of 15,000 dollars in add on accessories and recent engine and transmission work. They gave me about 50 % on the titan tank, the in-bed tank and my 5th wheel hitch and some credit for an extra clean truck. Total was 31,000.

I think that would be a fair value had I not spent 10,000 on it in the last 6 months or so. I did not nor do I now expect to get 100 percent back but they didn't even mention it. I've been looking hard for a truck down here and I cannot find one in that price range worth having. And I remain stranded with no way to move my 5th wheel.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
I wish I wasn't 2 days away I'd pull the sucker home for you, that way at least you could take your time and get your moneys worth.

LOL I might be like the little train that could but I'd bet we could do it.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
I wish I wasn't 2 days away I'd pull the sucker home for you, that way at least you could take your time and get your moneys worth.

LOL I might be like the little train that could but I'd bet we could do it.
Oh yeah, I towed it for a year with my extended cab short bed F250. There's not even a big hill between here and ATL, I can get it towed home by friends down here or store it here and come back later. The point is I shouldn't be put in this position by Geico.

Truth is I don't need their settlement to buy a truck so I'm going to work as long and hard as I can to get a fair settlement.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
todouble
Junior User
Geico (might as well give them some free pub) determined my truck to be worth 27,000 bucks. They found 3 comps to support that figure. 1 in Albertville AL. 1 in some other small town in Alabama and 1 in Jacksonville Fl. Now, I'm in Fort Myers FL. where everything cost more. My home is in ATL. I guess they couldn't find any comps there, I gave them a list of 15,000 dollars in add on accessories and recent engine and transmission work. They gave me about 50 % on the titan tank, the in-bed tank and my 5th wheel hitch and some credit for an extra clean truck. Total was 31,000.

I think that would be a fair value had I not spent 10,000 on it in the last 6 months or so. I did not nor do I now expect to get 100 percent back but they didn't even mention it. I've been looking hard for a truck down here and I cannot find one in that price range worth having. And I remain stranded with no way to move my 5th wheel.
I would agree with you that 31k sounds fair hadn't you not put out 10k in tranny and engine work recently. Like you said before, you were sitting at a red light minding your business. Now your suppose to eat that money?? That's crap! Can you counter offer back?? If that's there final offer, I would lawyer up. Good luck with it all.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Oh yeah, I towed it for a year with my extended cab short bed F250. There's not even a big hill between here and ATL, I can get it towed home by friends down here or store it here and come back later. The point is I shouldn't be put in this position by Geico.

Truth is I don't need their settlement to buy a truck so I'm going to work as long and hard as I can to get a fair settlement.
Settlement or not stopping you, like you said before if you get it home or store it, get home, then it would be a lot easier to (comfort zone wise) to pick out and get what you want.

Yea I'm sure my truck would tow it but for ME it would be a very daunting episode, like towing a damn house with a Pinto on steroids. LOL

Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$31K!!! WTF?! I'd start milking the crap out of them. Time shipping for a new truck, inconvenience, anything that equals $$$.

Have a friend tow the fifth wheel home and then write you an invoice for fair market freight charges.... $3.65 a mile plus dead head home or vise versa.

Are you documenting every minute you're spending shopping for a new truck, have they factored in taxes, registration fees, etc. Those are all payable by insurance companies.

Quick Reply: OK, WHAT TRUCK TO BUY