2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2015 Expedition info

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Properly equipped when talking about maximum towing ratings usually means an HD tow package, a certain rear end gear set, and a weight distributing hitch.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Originally Posted by BaitGuru
I am a long term Expedition 2001 AWD owner, with 260K miles, and I tow my 4K boat from North Texas down to the Florida Keys (every other year). The boat is less than half the weight rated for my Expedition (I believe it was 9,800) and my Expedition has trouble (downshifts and I'm without O/D) in the hills of the Florida Panhandle.

Was there a completely different tow rating system back in 2000, compared to the rating system used in today's vehicles?

Was there a different in towing and MPG for the Extended Length version?
Whoa.....Might want to double check your tow ratings for that Expy. My 02 Eddie Bauer AWD was only rated at 6900 lbs with HD tow package (17" wheels )
If you have 16" wheels you may get up to 7400 lbs.
Nowhere near 9800 lbs

The newer 3rd Gen Expys have a 6 spd trans to help with towing along with 40-50 more HP. So the tow ratings is now up to a MAX of 9200lbs when properly equipped. ( 4x2, HD tow Pkg, WD Hitch )

The EL version has a slightly lower tow rating due to the vehicle being a few hundred pounds heavier. But may tow "better" with the extra wheelbase.

What is interesting is Ford's tow rating for the regular length is the same no matter what rear gear ratio is installed. All EL's have the same rear gears 3.73's.

Matt

Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BaitGuru
Thank you for the video and write-up/comparisons.

Questions/comments on the new Expy, compared to an Excursion, F150 ecoboost, and 2015 suburban.

I am a long term Expedition 2001 AWD owner, with 260K miles, and I tow my 4K boat from North Texas down to the Florida Keys (every other year). The boat is less than half the weight rated for my Expedition (I believe it was 9,800) and my Expedition has trouble (downshifts and I'm without O/D) in the hills of the Florida Panhandle.

Was there a completely different tow rating system back in 2000, compared to the rating system used in today's vehicles? I have taken my boat to a dealership, and hooked it up to a F150 Ecoboost truck, and that truck nearly "Yanked" the axles off the trailer when towing (on the highway and up steep tollway to tollway ramps). I wish I concentrated more on the MPG.

Was there a different in towing and MPG for the Extended Length version?

I missed out on purchasing a Excursion (and now they are over 10 years old), and while I want an Excursion, not sure that is a great idea on something that old being used as my primary tow vehicle. However, the tow capacity of the Excursion was only 11K pounds (the new Ecoboost F150 "properly equipped", is also supposed to be in that range.. I don't quite understand what "properly equipped means".

I hope that the new Expy can tow as good at that F150.

I didn't haul the boat this year, but I managed to haul the family, and lot of gear (with a trailer hitch cargo carrier) from North Texas down to Islamorada Island, Florida, in a rented 2015 Suburban from Enterprise. We put over 4,000 miles during the past couple of weeks (parked 3 days in Disney 'Pop Century resort' park lot).

Interesting that the video above, mentioned that the new Expy has Electronic assisted steering (not to be confused w/ power steering), as I experienced this in the 2015 suburban. This rental had the lane approach "butt cheek" vibrator (so if you didn't have your turn signal on, and you came too close to the edge of your lane, it would vibrate a butt check on that same side) so with the electric steering assist, I was getting a lot of "glute massage" as that steering was too responsive (don't have the same issue with normal power steering).

While I found that GM SUV had lots of power, almost enough room for my family's needs, and way too many electronic toys (those are going to break before 10 years, and going to be expensive to repair, if they can be repaired -I drive my vehicles for a very long times). I wouldn't mind renting another Suburban, but wouldn't want to purchase one. Even though it had lots of nice electronics, you could still hear it rattle, and it feels like those panels were cheap plastic (the rear, driver's side corner would shift a little). If GM would consider putting those keypad locks, like my Expedition, and not expect us to rely on expensive "On-Star" to unlock the doors, I may give them more consideration.
Since you have a family, I would go with the Expedition EL versus the Excursion simply because it is a much, much safer vehicle. It has rollover airbags in all three rows, head rests in all three rows, and stability and traction control. This is coming from an Excursion and '08 Navigator owner. The newer SUVs are simply much safer vehicles.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see Edmunds has all models, options and pricing now. Appears the only way to get the 2-tone is with the King Ranch now, bummer. Interesting, the loaded KR is virtually the same price as the new loaded Platinum. Tough choice, but I would go with the KR only because I prefer the 2-tone.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 PM
5.4T
Elder User
When are they suppose to go for sale? I saw 2 semi trucks carrying 2015 models in boone, Kentucky.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:55 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Just wanted to share if any one hasn't seen it yet.
I know I know beautiful!!!

Old 09-10-2014, 02:59 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Yep, and notice the +15hp and +40ft/lbs over the 2015 F150/Expedition WTF....

Old 09-10-2014, 06:59 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnkn
Yep, and notice the +15hp and +40ft/lbs over the 2015 F150/Expedition WTF....
Interesting. Maybe this is a hint at an uuntold150 upgrade too.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 PM
johnkn
Tuned
IDK, I'm waiting on a 2015 Platinum Expedition, I'm going to be pissed if a +15/+40 mid year upgrade is available. I have to believe it's all tune, does the Navigator have any different hard parts? Ford should offer the upgrade tune for sale. Hell, I'd pay ~$300 for it.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:15 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Originally Posted by johnkn
IDK, I'm waiting on a 2015 Platinum Expedition, I'm going to be pissed if a +15/+40 mid year upgrade is available. I have to believe it's all tune, does the Navigator have any different hard parts? Ford should offer the upgrade tune for sale. Hell, I'd pay ~$300 for it.
just give the tuners some time they'll be able to squeeze more power out of these engines in no time

Old 09-22-2014, 12:40 AM
The eXpedition
New User
Great Information thanks guys

Old 09-29-2014, 01:49 PM
wkbrdtx
Junior User
Nice thread and good info

I have a 2003 Expedition EB with the 5.4L engine that I bought new. It is a great vehicle and now has 230,000 miles and going strong. I am thinking about selling it and buying another in the hopes it will get me another 10+ years down the road. The 5.4L appears to be overbuilt and is obviously able to rack up high mileage. The V6 eco boost appears to be hyper powerful but the results are not yet in on longevity. Can anyone speak to this? FWIW - I am hauling the wife and kids and dog along with a 3,000 pound boat in the Houston/Austin area of Texas. I will likely stay with Ford as I have access to the X-plan program and the Tahoe with the cylinder deletion V8 engine makes me nervous. I do not plan on going with the EL as it will not fit in my garage.

TIA!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Well.. My local dealer got a few of the new Expeditions in today so I went in and checked out and test drove an EL and man, they really are nice! And despite them not having a radical redesign they actually look a lot nicer then the last gen too.

So to go over the test drive. I pulled out onto a straight stretch and punched it and I was at 70 before I knew it. I estimate about 5 secs from 20mph. I'd say these are 7 secs 0-60 trucks easily with a better first gear tune.
The thing I noticed most was that 2nd gear takes you all the way to 60, I drive the old 4r75e so maybe this is normal for all 6r80s but it was interesting to me.

Next I pulled onto a long dark road to test out the new projectors with the high beams. I was expecting a significant improvement form the old "projectors", But when I hit the high beams and it lit almost a half a mile I was blown away. And they were very bright everywhere the light shone. Note: these aren't HID's. I can't even imagine how awesome they would be with a pair in there though.

Then lastly I maneuvered the truck around and tested the turning circle and new huge screen for the backup camera. Finally you can see behind these things! Of course the turning was much the same as the old ones including the feel of the steering wheel, despite it being the new electronic assist. I still think my 05 has the lightest steering feel I've ever felt but maybe that's just me.

All in All, they are not the same trucks as last year with a pretty facelift. They are however, very nice redesigned pieces of equipment that I think will do very well at holding their own on the market again. And from what I hear around here the motor in them has a ton more potential to be a lot more than it is. Spread the word everybody! Expedition is back!

End Note: I did not get to drive the new suspension system as the dealership was closing soon and I just wanted to get a quick test in. I will test that some other time.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:00 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Thanks for the update, promising. My dealer ordered a Platinum in black with Brunello leather for me. It don't see any with that leather within the 100 mile radius I searched. wonder if there's an issue with it.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
I hope not. It's nice leather

Quick Reply: 2015 Expedition info