96 Explorer Blowing Heat Except on Max AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 11:23 AM
damork
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 Explorer that blows hot in all positions except Max AC and OFF.

In the MAX AC position, I found that the vacuum motor turns off the hot water going to the heater.

In the AC position, the AC compressor runs, but there is something that is not allowing vacuum to the heater valve vacuum motor.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of this system, but seems that it should be something simple.

Any ideas.....

Old 06-30-2003, 08:05 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Could be either a vacuum line off or a faulty switch(a/c heat def).
Jimmy

Old 07-01-2003, 08:26 PM
is1070t
New User

It's your blend air door or actuator - see my 7/1/03 post (is1070t)

Old 07-02-2003, 08:22 AM
damork
New User

Thanks for the replys. I was quite certain it was the blend door as well after inquiring in several areas. I pulled the blend door actuator and could find no broken pieces.

Using a mirror I found the actuator coupling hole to be in good shape, so I cleaned the wiring plug connections good and cleaned up a bunch of grounds on the truck and it works again.

It does give me an uneasy feeling now that I know how complicated they made this. What is wrong with a simple cable?

Old 07-02-2003, 08:33 AM
is1070t
New User

Originally posted by damork
Thanks for the replys. I was quite certain it was the blend door as well after inquiring in several areas. I pulled the blend door actuator and could find no broken pieces.

Using a mirror I found the actuator coupling hole to be in good shape, so I cleaned the wiring plug connections good and cleaned up a bunch of grounds on the truck and it works again.

It does give me an uneasy feeling now that I know how complicated they made this. What is wrong with a simple cable?
DAMORK
How much trouble was it to get to the acutator? Can you provide some detail as to what has to be removed or where it is located? Do you go through the opening in the dash after removing the radio or through the glove box? Thanks for any help you give me.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:34 AM
is1070t
New User

DAMORK
How much trouble was it to get to the acutator? Can you provide some detail as to what has to be removed or where it is located? Do you go through the opening in the dash after removing the radio or through the glove box? Thanks for any help you give me.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:54 AM
damork
New User

I found a pictured solution here on how to do it. The actuator is right behind the top left corner of the glove box. It is white and you pop it out of where it sits with a screwdriver. Has a white connector (at least on mine).

The front pops up quite easy, just be easy on it using a flat bladed screwdriver. I simply cleaned up the contacts and reinstalled it after confirming the actuator coupling was not cracked (both male and female parts).

Use of a mechanics mirror is the best way to view the hole in the top of the plenum to see the condition of the coupling.

Good luck.