1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Starting my Coe build starting right is half the battle

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thousands of small jobs.

I'm in need of space so I've been trying to get the big done parts put together and moved on a truck.The great about doing multiple trucks is you can rob parts from each other.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:54 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Was rotted no spring.
There looks new with nice spring.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:09 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Metal on cab now is done

Thought I'd throw some primer sealer on the cab to cover all the repairs. Getting closer to mounting on the donor. Ready to send primer and paint.
Sealed and ready for a bright red

Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks good, getting the metal done is a huge step!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with Dave, It's looking good. Getting the sheet metal right is the toughest part. Keep us updated. Thanks for the pictures.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys I am happy to know I have a whole truck now. I may have to put some paint on prematurely to keep the interest up with the boys.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Not just looking like metal anymore.

Dealing with no room and multiple builds I had to put the base coat on the cab earlier than I wanted..
I'm glad to have the opportunity to do it myself before winter. Only minor mistake which will be fixed easily before the next step.
I like this shade of red. Its called prostreet red.
This first coat covered well. The secret is a little green blended in.
I hope this this fires up the boys motivation and gets them to focus again.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks great

Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
The camera on my phone makes it look like orange peel in the close up but there is none.I had 1 spot that needs redone.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:59 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ive been looking for some pics of your truck for a while, and finally here it is, not just a few pics but a build thread. Darn guy my hat is definitely off to you, You not only took on a challenge most people wouldn't even consider as doable, but your nailing it. You have talent, foresight, and patience to say the least, and are doing a great job. I try not to clutter up build threads with a lot of unnecessary chatter as I know folks use the auto alert when a post comes in on a thread they are following. But sometimes I just have to express how impressed I am with someone's work, like yours. Beautiful job, and thanks for sharing, now I know where to find your progress. Keep on Rockin my friend.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:50 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Thank you Jim. You are always known on here for your great words of encouragement and sometimes that's the difference needed between finishing our trucks or becoming overwhelmed.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:02 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Shiny with no ripples or waves.

After I painted the cab I tried to paint the fenders to assemble front end again in hopes of getting the cab mounted on the chassis before winter hits . I just had to many runs to be happy so I left them to repair later. My son seized the opportunity to show up the old man by repairing and repainting the way they should look.
Great color and nice wet look.
After all the metal work put into these fenders they told me i wouldnt be able to paint them gloss red or black .i am proud to say no waves or ripples i can see.
The paint is dry in all these pics so i carried one to the grass just to prove it..
I think its just beginners luck why he did so much better than i did.
Well do you all remember the bracket fender one of our first repairs..
Here it is all pretty and shiny. To all you guys that feel you cant do it i am no body man and was feeling doubts but hang in there.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 AM
50COE
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Impressive fabrication, determination and perseverance

Originally Posted by pweng1
After I painted the cab I tried to paint the fenders to assemble front end again in hopes of getting the cab mounted on the chassis before winter hits . ...

I can't believe I just tonight stumbled upon your complete thread... AMAZING to be working on more than one project at a time AND with your boys... that has to be the best part! My boys only like working with me when I'm fixing their cars...

Your metal work quantity and quality is fantastic. I can't believe how much you've been able to accomplish in about a year. You're already laying down paint!

I didn't have a fraction of the metal work you've had to deal with and I'm well over a year on only one project and I'm still a couple months from even beginning to think about paint. Ugh.

I'm really impressed with your accomplishment so far.

Can't wait to meet you in person ... we are too close to not meet up sometime soon.

Keep up the great work!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great work, love to see someone with the drive you have. Going to be a great truck!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the kind words. I really like both you guys trucks. Brian its been 2 years on mine because i don't have much of a shop to do work in, most of mine is done outside. I will get down to see you before winter. Doing more than one project keeps us busy on the days we have to wait for something on the other truck. Sometimes its the only way i can keep the boys attention span.

Quick Reply: Starting my Coe build starting right is half the battle