1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bumper picture

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First off, thanks for all the very kind responses. Now about the box on the Running board, its polished aluminum I got it from Summit and keep my Optima battery in it. I bought a SS drop down box but really didn't trust it bouncing around under the bed, so for now I like the look of it on the RB. As for the tranny, it's running great other than the usual pan leaks. I cleaned up the garage today and I'm antsy to slide back the tranny and get the plate in there. I found that the trans cooler lines are very, very close to the balancer, so I just got a set of tubing benders from Eastwood, heavy enough to bend the SS. That's it except for the dog who is healing fast and can now stand and walk. I'm super excited knowing that I'm going to get my hands dirty, oh and my wife bought me new coveralls. Ill yak at ya later.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Jim,
Your truck looks great. I like the SS bumper. What is the color?
I have a drop down SS battery box under the bed. I am still in the build process so I have not tested it. Did you have a problem with it actually dropping down on you?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Aarons54f100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like this truck, with the bumper too.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Score!
Sometimes, just sometimes, life is a really nice trip. Job well done on the wife prioritization too. We could all take a lesson here.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Late to the party... but I'll add my compliments on the look with the bumper and battery box. The shiny box immediately drew my attention as I was looking at the overall balance of colors and Shiny Stuff (that's my name for Stainless Steel). Your truck looks great!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:09 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by 49willard
Jim,
Your truck looks great. I like the SS bumper. What is the color?
I have a drop down SS battery box under the bed. I am still in the build process so I have not tested it. Did you have a problem with it actually dropping down on you?
Thanks for your nice comments. as far as your questions, the paint is "Baja Brown" 150BD8116 , It is a a two part acrylic enamel from Northstar ( a line carried my local auto paint supply store). And no I didn't have any problems, with the drop down box, I never did install it, I just didn't feel real confident with the latching mechanism. I know a lot of guys use them without incident but now that Ive put it on the RB I like the way it looks. So don't worry about yours I'm sure its fine, I just worry to much at times LOL.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:21 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,200 Likes on 2,691 Posts
Looking real good Jimmy, really finishes it off, great job.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:52 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great looking truck there Jim. But keep it out from Underthebridge as stuff bay fall on it.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:55 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Sorry can't edit. I meant may not Bay.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
First off, thanks for all the very kind responses. Now about the box on the Running board, its polished aluminum I got it from Summit and keep my Optima battery in it. I bought a SS drop down box but really didn't trust it bouncing around under the bed, so for now I like the look of it on the RB. As for the tranny, it's running great other than the usual pan leaks. I cleaned up the garage today and I'm antsy to slide back the tranny and get the plate in there. I found that the trans cooler lines are very, very close to the balancer, so I just got a set of tubing benders from Eastwood, heavy enough to bend the SS. That's it except for the dog who is healing fast and can now stand and walk. I'm super excited knowing that I'm going to get my hands dirty, oh and my wife bought me new coveralls. Ill yak at ya later.
Hey Jim, Where did you get your Drop Down Box from? I've been thinking about this and heard some our good and some aren't worth the effort... Did you think the one you have was good or bad? Can you post some pics if you still have it?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Hi Moe, I found the receipt for the drop box. I bought it in Dec. of 2008 from Mid Fifty. Ive posted a few pics of it below for you.

Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
That looks pretty well built Jim. I likey.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Hi Moe, I found the receipt for the drop box. I bought it in Dec. of 2008 from Mid Fifty. Ive posted a few pics of it below for you.
That looks very sturdy... I'll have to keep them in mind once I can afford to buy parts again... I like the box your using but I think I want mine under the truck... I'm going to measure, to see if it will fit between the frame and running boards on my 49...

Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
My box looks like the same drop down box. Here is a pic

This is how I mounted my drop down box. I think that you will find that it need to be mounted inside the frame rail and competes for space with the exhaust.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jimmy,
I haven't seen a full pic of your truck in a bit. It looks great! I like the new shiny front bumper as it matches up with the chrome look you have going. If you try to tackle that under bed battery let me know how it goes. We've got our Optima battery crammed down behind the seat - I think it would be better out of the cab.

Your truck looks too nice - I think you should park it outside for a while & get that weathered look. (My son just returned our truck from college with that look - it's very nice you should try it....

Looking good in paradise!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Quick Reply: Bumper picture