6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Contamination no Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sucks to hear, let us know how you end up. Also just make sure your doing proper maintainence on the truck next time. Also I would double check the torque in the Titan tank like suggested after you get your problem fixed.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
Well, and who is to say it wasn't vandalism? Bottom line is you dont know how the water got in there. While it seems counter-intuitive, thats why I won't be putting a locking fuel cap/door on my truck. Because then you, and the insurance company would know it wasnt vandalism, and then where would you be? I'm not suggesting lying or insurance fraud, however sometimes ample imbeguity for events to happen can be in your favor.
While I am generally considered to be a straight arrow, I don't view calling this vandalism as fraud. Nobody truthfully knows where the water came from and I know I have personally paid a lot of money for insurance coverage over the years without receiving any benefit from it. I would present the facts as you know them to the insurance company (one of the facts being that you assume it to be vandalism) and work it out with them. I mean it's not like you need a paint job and you went out and vandalized the truck yourself just so you could file a claim. That would be fraud. You current case is exactly why we pay for comprehensive coverage. Submit your claim and sleep well my friend!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would ck tank sealing before the repair. Some dealer installs have even mucked that up.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:16 AM
1954oldred
Senior User
Originally Posted by 720Deere
While I am generally considered to be a straight arrow, I don't view calling this vandalism as fraud. Nobody truthfully knows where the water came from and I know I have personally paid a lot of money for insurance coverage over the years without receiving any benefit from it. I would present the facts as you know them to the insurance company (one of the facts being that you assume it to be vandalism) and work it out with them. I mean it's not like you need a paint job and you went out and vandalized the truck yourself just so you could file a claim. That would be fraud. You current case is exactly why we pay for comprehensive coverage. Submit your claim and sleep well my friend!
You misinterpreted the insurance issue...if water was introduced into your fuel system via a suppliers faulty or non maintained tank, then your insurance would likely cover you and they, in turn, would go after the supplier. Keep your receipts when traveling.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
WIF

If you get water in fuel you most likely have a boat load of water in the tank. You should stop drain tank and look for the issues and change the filter not wait for the server interval. Diesel engines are not the same as gas and require you the operator to drain the fuel bowl once a month to check for water.

On the Titian tanks I would say the number of WIF from the Titan are in excess of 60 percent of the time. I don't hear about problem WIF and transfer flow. There is a secondary water fuel separator you can get from http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...separator.aspx

Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
And they work nicely but only if your gonna invest a couple minutes to look underneath and drain according. Both the 11s ive had ive never found a drop of water. Long bed big tank.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by donovan
If you get water in fuel you most likely have a boat load of water in the tank. You should stop drain tank and look for the issues and change the filter not wait for the server interval. Diesel engines are not the same as gas and require you the operator to drain the fuel bowl once a month to check for water.

On the Titian tanks I would say the number of WIF from the Titan are in excess of 60 percent of the time. I don't hear about problem WIF and transfer flow. There is a secondary water fuel separator you can get from http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...separator.aspx
While this product is great I don't think that 60 percent of WIF are caused by Titan tanks. Talking to numerous dealers the biggest killers are DEF in the tank which kills the HPFP as well. While it's impossible to know how the OP installed the tank, it is known that he didn't do the proper maintanence for his vehicle in regards to the DFCM. You have to remember that Ford had two engines of failures to learn from when they created the 6.7, which tells me the DFCM is robust enough.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
WIF

Originally Posted by Tofan
While this product is great I don't think that 60 percent of WIF are caused by Titan tanks. Talking to numerous dealers the biggest killers are DEF in the tank which kills the HPFP as well. While it's impossible to know how the OP installed the tank, it is known that he didn't do the proper maintanence for his vehicle in regards to the DFCM. You have to remember that Ford had two engines of failures to learn from when they created the 6.7, which tells me the DFCM is robust enough.

Water in fuel is NOT DEF in fuel. Not the same problem in my view. Def the owner has to pour it in to the wrong hole. Water In Fuel the owner did nothing to cause the failure. So I stand by the 60 percent failure mark on Water in Fuel. Def in fuel is a stupid mistake that owner SHOULD bare the cost of.

If you have lots of water in fuel your going to over run OEM filters. Most likely if you get the WIF after a fill up you most likely have enough water to over run the OEM filters. We need a better way to detect the amount of water in fuel and shut down before it reaches the pump.

Saying all this I have never seen a drop water diesel for the last two trucks.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Sorry just re-read your post, I thought you meant HPFP failures.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:45 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1954oldred
You misinterpreted the insurance issue...if water was introduced into your fuel system via a suppliers faulty or non maintained tank, then your insurance would likely cover you and they, in turn, would go after the supplier. Keep your receipts when traveling.

I didn't misinterpret anything from the post that I quoted. Even if you keep all of your fuel receipts, good luck pinning it on any one vendor if you have filled up at more than one location recently.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
First, sorry to hear about the issue. Not having a working truck is bad enough, but the possibility of being hit with such a large bill is another thing entirely.

Second, while I would pursue what you can with Ford, and contact their Customer Relationship Center, others have gone down the same path as you and haven't gotten very far, just FYI. It is good that you have a good dealer to work with however.

Your much more likely to get remuneration from either the fuel company if the fuel you purchased was contaminated, or your insurance.

As others have suggested, the fault most likely lies with the Titan tank, and having an incorrectly installed seal which has allowed the water to enter the fuel system. While it helps you none, if the water in fuel light comes on, you did the correct thing by the manual in draining it out, but it is best to understand why the light got thrown to begin with. In your case, when the light came on, there was most likely a large amount of water swimming in your fuel tank that should have been drained out as well.

Best of luck in getting a resolution

Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 950 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Agreed 100%. That's why I highlighted the fact that I won't put a locking fuel cap or door on my truck, because then that type of vandalism would be ruled out.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont throw out the oem cap... Just sayin

Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tofan
In a previous post he said all the proper maintenance was done at the correct intervals by his dealer.. Can't blame him for not doing his maintenance.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Welcome to FTE!!! Not a great way to find us though...

Keep us posted on the status of your truck.

Quick Reply: Fuel Contamination no Warranty!