Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

85 F250 beater

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I was wondering why you wanted to replace yours, if it was hacked up, butchered, burnt, etc.

Good thing is those relays are cheap, around $10. You can check your ground first, run a jumper from batt neg to the small terminal camera left and then test it again.

Also, maybe your manual switch is faulty? You could try supplying power briefly to the small terminal camera right and see if there's power to the top terminal. If so you could do this for the 10 seconds and then try to start it.

Watch for sparks though, no blowing up batteries.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 PM
wasbubs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news! I managed to get it started so it was NOT the harness! Yay. When you mentioned if my harness was "hacked" I thought you were asking if someone had modified it to work in a new way.

the orange cable terminal never got power through the means you mentioned, but I needed to get it started because my neighbors were starting to complain about how long I had the truck sitting on a street that had limited parking to begin with. So I basically jumped power directly to the plug terminal... I'm not sure but I'm thinking it was a bad idea but it worked well enough to get it started and move it.

ordering a new relay soon.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Yep, that method works too, you just need to get power to the plugs for the 10 or so seconds, how you get the power there is your choice.

You're on the right track!

Old 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM
wasbubs
Junior User
I know I'm all over the place here with the questions switching back and forth from one subject to another.

But I have not yet pulled the instrument panel from the cab. But if I have to buy a new one is there a way to set the odometer in the new panel to the miles from the panel coming out?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Not that I know of short of having a speedometer shop do it, but on a 5 digit odometer it'd hardly be worth it.

IMO of course.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:52 PM
wasbubs
Junior User
I went out just now and tried to remove the instrument cluster. I got is all disconnected except for the small cable that connects to the drive, park, neutral indicator. Does anyone know how to remove that and in one piece?

also I unplugged the speedo cable and plugged it back in and made sure it clicked all the way and tried it out. still no speed indication. is there an easy way to test the cable to make sure it actually worked before I bought a new panel?

good news was that the panel was easier to get to than I thought it would be!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
I really do not recall how that indicator hooks up. Some vehicles it's just a thin wire screwed into the column, don't know if that applies here.

You mentioned earlier that your odometer works, if your odometer works your cable is okay.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM
wasbubs
Junior User
quick question. My truck is an automatic and doesn't have a tach on the cluster. could I replace it with a cluster that has tach? not that I particularly want a tachometer but I found one on ebay for cheap.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
d-day
Elder User
Originally Posted by wasbubs
quick question. My truck is an automatic and doesn't have a tach on the cluster. could I replace it with a cluster that has tach? not that I particularly want a tachometer but I found one on ebay for cheap.
I'd like to know as well

Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
It is nice having the tach. You're at least partly in luck, I just looked again at your engine pics and you have the timing gear housing with the port for the tach senor in it. Look to the right of your oil fill spout, see that large plug there on top? That would have to come out, and a tach sensor installed.

As far as the wiring, I don't know if the question has ever been answered fully but it does come up on occasion, are the trucks without tachs wired for the tach? That's the big question here.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Here's the discussion we had with some pics and info, but still haven't found the final answer yet.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-install.html

Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 PM
wasbubs
Junior User
yea... I think I'll just find a replacement without a tach. I'm not really that worried about it.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
How's this truck going?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 PM
wasbubs
Junior User
I got a new cluster off eBay put it in and still no speed readout. The gear indicating cable was cut so I sent it back.

I'm going to remove the speedometer cable soon and replace it. I'm not sure if I need and upper or a lower or both. So I want to take it out first and look it over.

Been working a lot lately and it has been rather cold so haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it.

Thanks for the interest though!

Oh and do you know of a good way to secure a license plate on? My rear bumper is weird (I'll post a pic soon) so I screwed it into the tailgate. But I may have to replace the tailgate eventually as well.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 PM
wasbubs
Junior User
quick question. I finally had good weather and the time to go out and take off the speedo cable. I HAVE a cruise control but I'm not sure if it even works. could that be causing problems if it doesn't work? could I get the "no ccruise" cable at the auto store and be ok?

Quick Reply: 85 F250 beater