General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Texas? Yeah, Texas!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Texas? Yeah, Texas!

I'm looking for some friendly feedback/advice from those familiar with Texas please.

I currently live in Idaho (Boise). I was born in Idaho, raised here, went to school here, married here, raising my own family here now. I really do love this place. But I'm considering a new job in Austin/San Antonio.

We do a LOT of outdoor recreating. Primarily camping in the Idaho mountains. Now, I fully realize that I'll be giving up the mountains if we depart for Texas. Aside from the geographical changes, not to mention the drastic change in population, is there anything specifically "special" about living in Texas that an outsider like me should be aware of before taking the plunge?

We'd still like to do some camping down there if we move...where should I be looking to camp within an hour or two of the Austin/SA area?

Feedback and input is most welcome.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:35 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Texas...

No mountains.

Public land vs. private. Camping this weekend? Could be a drive:

http://www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

Like dirt storms? Take a spring time drive to the panhandle.

Austin?

Where for young liberal professional to live in Texas? - moving resolved | Ask MetaFilter

Like humidity? You'll get it. Winter is pretty good, spring ok as long as you stay out of the dirt storms, summer.....sticky.

Business friendly, not a nanny state, not on the list of most dangerous places, but if you commit a murder, expect to be executed the same day.

Y'all take care now, and drive friendly.

I expect you'll get more replies, good luck to you!!!

Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-07-2014, 02:57 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been studying Texas for a while, and it is my prime choice of where I want to be, for many reasons.

Between California, "Back East", Norfolk Virginia, and Memphis Tennessee -in each of which I lived for many years - Texas look dang good!

And leave us not forget ZZTOP!!!!

I think my all-time favorite is "ROUGH BOY"

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+zz+top+rough+boy&FORM=VIRE1#view= detail&mid=44916314B84D5B2CC944916314B84D5B2CC 9

~ I dunno yet how to embed videos, I'm looking at that

If any one of y'all could put the live version of "ROUGH BOY" up for me, I'd love that - and even more if you could tell me how to do that too...

~Wolfie out

PS: I guess I finally have fast enough stuff to keep up with y'all, I just need to get back up in the saddle and gitty up...
Ya know

"ZZTOP is like a fine plate of barbeque - they bear down on the meat, and leave off of the potato salad..."

Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Greywolf
I have been studying Texas for a while, and it is my prime choice of where I want to be, for many reasons.

Between California, "Back East", Norfolk Virginia, and Memphis Tennessee -in each of which I lived for many years - Texas look dang good!

And leave us not forget ZZTOP!!!!

I think my all-time favorite is "ROUGH BOY"

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+zz+top+rough+boy&FORM=VIRE1#view= detail&mid=44916314B84D5B2CC944916314B84D5B2CC 9

~ I dunno yet how to embed videos, I'm looking at that

If any one of y'all could put the live version of "ROUGH BOY" up for me, I'd love that - and even more if you could tell me how to do that too...

~Wolfie out

PS: I guess I finally have fast enough stuff to keep up with y'all, I just need to get back up in the saddle and gitty up...
Ya know

"ZZTOP is like a fine plate of barbeque - they bear down on the meat, and leave off of the potato salad..."
the directions are at what you listening to thread good luck

Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
THANK YOU SO DAMNED MUCH!

I will try to figure it out....

AND GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!

~it may very well be the last bastion of free Americans

Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
if you have problems just ask ill help you out

Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I have a bit of a way to go yet - but as soon as I get my high-milage project on the road I WILL be prospectin' for a new place to be

"NANNY STATES" disgust me

What they do is encourage lazy folk to live on welfare - instead of making anything of themselves

~ And most lazy folk are thieves

I set myself a long time ago to stand on my own two feet.

*Most of my money I spend on either beer or tools

Old 02-08-2014, 07:37 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf

*Most of my money I spend on either beer or tools
Nary a thing wrong with those expenditures---throw in "women" and you've described my life!

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Texas...

but if you commit a murder, expect to be executed the same day.
Don't see a lot wrong with that approach................if it don't deter it certainly eliminates recidivism!

Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am also looking to maybe move to Texas, from California though. The general contractor license is a lot easier to get there, than here. But the type of work i do may not be as easy to get. The weather is a factor though, humid in the summer, windy, colder, and snow. I grew up in Montana til 18, and i swore i would never see snow again. I wont even eat a snow cone...

Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
i was born and raised in Texas. Don't plan to move back there, unless it's in the Dallas/Ft Worth/Plano area.

Depending on how much you consider yourself a Northerner, you may be in for a culture shock. There's a big melting pot down there. I enjoyed USAF basic training in San Antonio in the middle of summer, marching in long sleeve bdu's in triple digit humid heat. fun times.

I hear Austin has been growing the last few years.....I lived in Round Rock when I was there. It was a nice newer area with lots of booming growth. Havent seen it in years.

You say you have kids/family?......I'd definitely look into the schools to see what you can expect. The six public schools I attended in Texas were pretty good, most of them new, and most of the teachers actually cared about their job and kids. (I finished my last couple years of high school in Northern Virginia. I would never ever subject my kids to that environment. Holy cow, talk about thugs and promiscuous kids that didn't care about graduating high school, and burned out teachers.)

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nothing wrong with Texas...........But you will miss the mountains, rivers and lakes of Idaho, just like I did when I made the mistake of moving to Cali from Oregon MANY years ago..........Now, I will never leave.

Quick Reply: Texas? Yeah, Texas!