Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things TO do in your garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:33 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 51dueller
Why is it that people always wear safety stuff after the first accident?
Cuz we're stoopid until experience teaches us a lesson.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 07-14-2003, 08:12 PM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru

My job doesn't require wearing steel toes but I just cause its worth it. I have one steel toe on an old pair of boots that has a dent in it. That pair paid for itself. Since then I get tennis shoe steel toes to wear around anywhere I go.

Tyler

Old 07-15-2003, 05:27 PM
UK02Ranger
Freshman User

You can't plan for every little thing that will go wrong, but you can use some common sense and a little safety equipment to keep your butt safe. We're required to wear ridiculous amounts of safety equipment on the job. I did see a girl get her toes run over by a military 2 1/2 ton truck and she was ok. Anyone who's seen one of those know they're heavy! I love my steel toe boots now.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Monster 78 F-150 4X4
Elder User

More jack stand safety dont use the jack stands that tou find buryed in a garage with no markings on them. I put my dads 2000 power stroke on 2 and crushed them flat also buy the bigest jack stands and jacks you can buy because rember that they are holding tons of steel above you. Also stay as far away from the cabel on a come along when your using it. Also when your streching fence with one hook it to your truck not a tree or a post because your asking for trouble.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:51 PM
jim_of_oz
Junior User

We were trying to pull a dozer out of the tundra on Shemya one time and I remember when the cable (a BIG cable) broke. Talk about a mean sound when that went flying by. We had a healthy sized dozer buried almost to the hood and had just about every other vehicle availble yanking on it. That cable had a lot of pressure on it.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Place blankets or canvas over the cable on a come-along to minimize cable whip if it breaks. A cable or chain that breaks can cut a man in half, or take a leg, or arm, or head. I saw a cable cut clean thru an 8 inch tree once when it broke.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:50 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru

dont use the cheap steel ones, you will have the good ones all of your life. When I have to pull the wheels and tires off a vehicle,and be under it, I always slide at least 2 of them halfway under next to the stands. Or any place they are not in your way.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Charlie's Truck
Junior User

don't forget to keep your tools in good working order, use back belt when lifting heavey parts and keep a clean work area!!

Old 08-16-2003, 09:27 PM
natewoz
Elder User

For those of use wo work on agricultural or other equipment, allways look for hydraulic leaks with a peice of cardboard. A pinhole leak has enough force to remove a finger.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:16 AM
stepman
Posting Guru

______ALWAYS wear proper footwear. I dropped a full gallon paint can on my toe yesterday. My daughter learned a few new words on that one.
I didn't bother w/ the doctor but there is no doubt it's broke. Not like they could put a cast on it. So now I'll just walk funny for a while.

Done that.Last Oct. I ran into the shed for something minor(can't even remember what is was).Turned out, I had to move a fender to get to it and dropped it right on my big toe. Needless to say I put on shoes first now. Problem is that when it starts to heal and it quits hurting you start putting weight on it again. I've broke it at least 6 or 8 times since and it still bothers me.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:00 PM
jim_of_oz
Junior User

Originally posted by stepman
______ALWAYS wear proper footwear. <snipped> I've broke it at least 6 or 8 times since and it still bothers me.
6 to 8 times?! I think you need more than proper footwear

Old 08-25-2003, 05:28 PM
stepman
Posting Guru

Actually its the same break. Like I said, it gets to where it doesn't bother me and I step on itwith too much pressure and I can hear it and feel it snap. Then it's right back to square 1. It never has completely healed yet.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Avanti
Elder User

If possible let someone else in the family know you are working under the car just in case you get stuck, pass out, have a heart attack, knock your self out etc. Once knew a guy that had a transmission slip & fall on him as he was installing it. He laid there for a few hours till someone heard him hollering.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Avanti
If possible let someone else in the family know you are working under the car just in case you get stuck, pass out, have a heart attack, knock your self out etc. Once knew a guy that had a transmission slip & fall on him as he was installing it. He laid there for a few hours till someone heard him hollering.
Good post, my brother was by himself and had a transmission out of a tandem dump truck, roll off of the stand on to his chest. His wife found him by tracing the blood trail in the driveway ,back to the truck. too late tho

Old 08-28-2003, 04:54 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do store paint in proper locations away from heat and outside the living portion of your house. A friend was storing a gallon of very expensive laquer in his bed room. While moving it off the shelf it slipped and burst open when the can hit the floor. The fumes were terrible and he wanted to get it cleaned up quickly before his wife got home. He used a shop vac to vacuum it up. Unfortunately, the paint caught fire when it got inside the shop vac. His house was about half gone when his wife got home! John :-staun

Quick Reply: Things TO do in your garage