1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hey Gang, time for another round of: What's wrong with this truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Hey Gang, time for another round of: What's wrong with this truck?

OK Truck fans, my mindless trolling of E-pray has unearthed another gem for our critical eyes. This one is a 1950 promoted as a F100. Tell me if something seems off to you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-100-Pick-Up-Absolutley-beautiful-1950-Ford-F-1-1-2-Ton-Pick-Up-Truck-stunning-restored-truck-/331108936054?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d17a16976&item=331108936054&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
DW

Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Well what i can see is that the bed isnt even close to being level and the bed wood has a huge ump in it because they didnt get the width right.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I give up. The only things that catch my eye are the 51-52 style bed (which is very common and often accepted considering that was the only replacement bed until very recently), the bed boards are bucked up in the middle, and he apparently has installed an invisible hydraulic bed lift and forgot to lower the bed completely after the last dump.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
The bed level is what caught my eye initially. I agree that the bed wood is clearly not flat. Hard to understand how an otherwise great looking truck can have such obvious uncorrected flaws. Go figure.

Thanks for playing.

DW

Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Our 1950 has a pattern on the bed sides - not flat. The cab tilts forward & the bed tilts backwards - odd. I also don't like that the tailgate chains are unprotected. I'm sure there's more..

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Nice wiring job for an $18k truck! He didn't quite get the EMT bent correctly, and after all, a set of proper steel radiator pipes costs what, $20??

The bed is a puzzler. Obviously not sitting right, but somehow he got the fenders about right? Note that the bed strips' bolts don't go thru the wood to the crossmembers, they are screwed into the wood.

No spare tire...

Next!

Edit: There's the problem, there ARE no crossmembers. He used wood cross-pieces.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
The tail gate chains are not stock - and not connected properly. Would not have caught the wiring issue that Ross pointed out.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
It looks like he used homemade wooden crossmembers between the bed and the frame rails. Probably the reason it kicks up in the front. But at least he got his project finished. Mine is still sitting in a bazillion pieces. I like the truck. The issues can be fixed pretty easily. I like the colors.

Let me ask a question, is that the original shifter for a four-speed? It's looks "fatter" than the one connected to my LD 3-speed. I don't think I've seen one with a 4-speed up close.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
What caught my eye first is that the bid is too high for the truck and the reserve is not met yet. Also, front sits to high, rear sits to low. Box to cab margin is big at the top and goes away at the bottom. I have seen better hood fits on trucks in this price range. The alternator is an acceptable upgrade unless the new owner is intending on showing it. What year did the beds start having metal cross braces under the wood floor instead of the wood ones this truck has? Where is the spare tire?

Last edited by ranger pat; 01-23-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added comment about spare tire.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
As I was going down the pictures I saw the first couple of bed wood pictures and wondered how you were noticing the bed wood issue. That is until I hit the last one. Holy cow. That would drive me nuts. I couldn't stand that. The boards don't look like they are tongue and groove so it would be pretty simple to plane them down to fit.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Nice colors.

Why does it have so many holes in the dash not taken care of? That was quite visible to me. And give me 45 minutes with that engine bay and I'll have those wires looking a lot better.
It's a decent truck but why would an experienced seller says 'no expense spared' when a quick glance shows otherwise?

And I feel real good about my amateur restorations skills can produce non-droopy door handles to look better than those.

I was pawing at the screen trying to virtually make them level, and moving those wires too.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the front fenders F1, looks like F2-F3 to me

Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He used wood underneath for cross members but the real problem is that he got it wet and didn't have it sealed good enough. The oak swelled and gained width, having nowhere to go but up. I one time saw a lowered section of a house being built that had a brand new oak floor that got flooded in one of our Houston TX gully washers (6 inches of rain in an hour). The floor expanded and actually pushed one of the walls off of the slab. They hadn't put the anchor bolts in the 2x6 plates yet.
Other than that the truck looks really nice. Hard to believe that they wouldn't have fixed the wood bed since they are trying to get top dollar...

Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Maybe it was all the hand-rubbing that caused the warping?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Doc

Let me ask a question, is that the original shifter for a four-speed? It's looks "fatter" than the one connected to my LD 3-speed. I don't think I've seen one with a 4-speed up close.
Didn't notice that Doc. OT: I have the only farmer used white shifter **** in the state. Quite proud of that as it was the absolute only aftermarket style element on the truck.

Originally Posted by pineconeford
Nice colors.

Why does it have so many holes in the dash not taken care of? That was quite visible to me. And give me 45 minutes with that engine bay and I'll have those wires looking a lot better.

And I feel real good about my amateur restorations skills can produce non-droopy door handles to look better than those.

I was pawing at the screen trying to virtually make them level, and moving those wires too.
Now that you mention it, there are a bunch of unaccounted holes. And mismatched *****. And odd heater placement. And intrusive duct tube placement headed to parts unknown. Humm.

Originally Posted by homade
Are the front fenders F1, looks like F2-F3 to me
They look like the correct F1 fenders to me. F2-6 come to much more of a point on the front wheel opening.

DW

Quick Reply: Hey Gang, time for another round of: What's wrong with this truck?