1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

85 Steering Column Wiring Diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 AM
ScottRobbins
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Steering Column Wiring Diagram?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the turn signal harness on an 85 truck? I am rewiring the entire truck and need to reuse the turn signals on the column. There is a control box under the dash that some of the wires plug into. Is this for cruise control or do the lights split from here also? I was going to scrap it.

Sw power from brake pedal: color?
Constant power from fuse for brake/turn: color?
Constant power from fuse for markers: color?
Left brake/turn: color?
Right brake/turn: color?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Sw power from brake pedal: color? lightgreen

Constant power from fuse for brake/turn: color?This doesn't exist. There is a lightblue from the turn flasher, and then the light green from the brake switch. The flasher gets it's power from the fuse box (it's mounted in the fuse box) from fuse 14. The brake light switch get's power from the lightgreen/red which hooks to a red/white and then goes to fuse 13

Constant power from fuse for markers: color?This is not in the column at all. This is fed from fuse 8, goes through a tan/white wire to the headlight switch. It goes through the headlight switch and comes out to feed all the running lights on a dark brown wire.

Left brake/turn: color?lightgreen/orange

Right brake/turn: color?orange/lightblue

Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM
ScottRobbins
New User
thanks dave F. I found this same diagram at fordification and the colors appear to match up perfectly so I should be in business. Also, I need to repower the door locks and windows off my new fusebox. It appears I can just locate the "homerun" per say for both of them in the old fusebox and extend them to my new panel don't you think?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Franklin2
Yes, the "homerun" for the windows is a lightblue/black and goes to a circuit breaker in the old fuse box. The wire for the locks is a black/white and it also has a circuit breaker in the old fuse box.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 PM
ScottRobbins
New User
Dave F you seem to have a good understanding of wiring. I drew up a full page wiring diagram game plan last night to rewire the truck and wanted a second overall opinion. I cant figure how to get the scanned pdf file on a reply but I can email it if you were interested. If not no big deal. The truck is going to be strictly sled pulling so I did not include hvac wiring and wanted to make the fuel pump and ignition wiring as reliable as possible. After owning a 89 diesel I found the wiring was very flawed so I am planning on using 8 relays and 4 or 5 separate fuse blocks to keep everything easy to troubleshoot and simplify any future add-ons. Also with the hvac gone I plan on locating everything on the passenger firewall.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Franklin2
Open a account on Photobucket or a site like that, upload your diagram to that site, and then it will give you a link. You can then put the link on here.

I guess you need to hook the power windows up to keep the rain out of the truck? Otherwise you don't even need windows do you? You don't need anything but power to the ignition and a start switch to crank it over? The picture I have of a sled truck is just a bare body, no windows or anything, made to pull the sled down the track, and that's it. And the mandatory big hole in the hood with the exhaust running up out of the hole.