1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Torque App on an OBS Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:20 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I don't want to potentially be the wet blanket here, but if you are running a TS chip could that cause the gauges on the app to be wrong? I think I remember reading a while back that the chip alters the signals going to the computer. Specifically I was thinking it might mess with MAP and ICP. I hope I'm wrong, I'm really excited about this.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It shouldn't make a difference. The chip alters the PCM's program but it still speaks the same language whether the PCM has a chip in it or not. Some of the guys doing this testing have a chip (but I do not at this point).

Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Just got my dongle today. I'm pretty excited! Tried to use it some but my truck isn't back together yet so I haven't tried it to much. My valve cover gaskets got delayed. So doesn't look like I'm getting that back together this weekend.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Just got my dongle today. I'm pretty excited! Tried to use it some but my truck isn't back together yet so I haven't tried it to much. My valve cover gaskets got delayed. So doesn't look like I'm getting that back together this weekend.
Sweet! PM me if you run into trouble and I'll do what I can to help you get it set up. If you go back and read Rich's (Tugly's) thread from the SD section he tells what you need to change and how to load the Ford PSD PIDs to get it to sync up the first time.

Mine has been working really well here lately. I have been running it every time I drive the truck and logging my runs. Pretty stinking cool for a $20 tool!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:37 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I ordered my dongle today from Newegg. But then I found them on ebay for slightly less money. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CY-B06-Super-Mini-ELM327-V1-5-OBD2-OBD-II-Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Auto-Diagnostic-Tool-/171201771270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dc6bb706 is the link for the real penny pinchers out there.

Also, I see newegg has a sweet deal on a pearl necklace today for all you guys that still need to buy valentine's day gifts for your women. But the deal ends today. 18" 7-8mm AA+ Quality Cultured Freshwater Pearl Necklace with 14k Gold Clasp - Newegg.com

Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to do this (and happy to pay) but unfortunately Torque Pro is only purchasable via the google play store.

Richard

Old 01-25-2014, 05:45 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I ordered my dongle today from Newegg. But then I found them on ebay for slightly less money. HERE is the link for the real penny pinchers out there.

Also, I see newegg has a sweet deal on a pearl necklace today for all you guys that still need to buy valentine's day gifts for your women. But the deal ends today. 18" 7-8mm AA+ Quality Cultured Freshwater Pearl Necklace with 14k Gold Clasp - Newegg.com
Hopefully that's a good one. Supposedly there are a lot of clones out there. I'm not sure but what mine may be a clone too, but it works!

And yeah, sorry Richard the app is an android only thing right now.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Hopefully that's a good one. Supposedly there are a lot of clones out there. I'm not sure but what mine may be a clone too, but it works!

And yeah, sorry Richard the app is an android only thing right now.
I have a Nexus 5... i just dont have a google account linked to it. i really dont like the spying google does (and you think the nsa is bad). many other apps, i can purchase a license directly via the owner so i dont have to use the google play store but torque doesnt offer that option.

Richard

Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I got my adapter yesterday and downloaded the app. I am still learning how to use this, but so far I am impressed.

I do have 2 issues. 1) I am not getting a reading for TFT, which was one of my main reasons for getting this. I know its possible because I used to have an Edge Evolution that displayed the TFT. 2) Something is wrong with my IAT sensor because when you start the truck it reads -40°F and after a while it suddenly jumps to 419°F.

I am yet to try it out on my 97, so maybe that will help me figure out if its the app or my truck.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Mine does the same for IAT, and you have to make a pid for the TFT Nate told me how. I'll send you the info he sent me as soon as I can.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has been working really well here lately. I have been running it every time I drive the truck and logging my runs. Pretty stinking cool for a $20 tool!
How exactly do u do that? The data logging is important to me as I currently have an intermittent issue..

I would love to do this (and happy to pay) but unfortunately Torque Pro is only purchasable via the google play store.
Richard
Is there some issue I should know about here prior to buying an Android devise??

Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
The formulas included in the extended Ford PID package for TFT and IAT don't work like they should. There are other PIDS being developed privately that make it all work.

I will link to the thread on PSN where these guys are working on it. But first a disclaimer. READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END of the thread before you start building PIDs. The formulas are being developed though the thread and the ones listed in the first few pages are WRONG. On Page 8 of the thread m j links to a dropbox spreadsheet where he is updating the PIDs with the latest revisions. These are all experimental and aren't perfect, but some of them seem to be close. With that being said, here is the link to the thread and a permalink to the post with the dropbox link.

I'm not endorsing or recommending these links or PIDs as some of the ones they're listing don't work correctly for me. I'm just showing you all what's out there.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The formulas included in the extended Ford PID package for TFT and IAT don't work like they should. There are other PIDS being developed privately that make it all work. I will link to the thread on PSN where these guys are working on it. But first a disclaimer. READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END of the thread before you start building PIDs. The formulas are being developed though the thread and the ones listed in the first few pages are WRONG. On Page 8 of the thread m j links to a dropbox spreadsheet where he is updating the PIDs with the latest revisions. These are all experimental and aren't perfect, but some of them seem to be close. With that being said, here is the link to the thread and a permalink to the post with the dropbox link.

I'm not endorsing or recommending these links or PIDs as some of the ones they're listing don't work correctly for me. I'm just showing you all what's out there.
Lol, borderline legal disclaimer...

Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
How exactly do u do that? The data logging is important to me as I currently have an intermittent issue..

Is there some issue I should know about here prior to buying an Android devise??
Richard isn't a fan of Google's spying (I'm not either but I'm probably on a few NSA watch lists anyway so I'm not terribly concerned about it, ) and Google Play is the only place you can purchase the app so you can't get the app without a Google account.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Thanks for the help Nate! I really love this thing. I hope someday it will have the full capability of AE or the other well known brands.

I also hate that Google tracks everything you do. I have a google account, but only use it when there is no other option.

Quick Reply: Torque App on an OBS Powerstroke