1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had a place for for TS but it just isn't possible here. I personnely think the offer from Stu sounds very interesting, it is centrally located for probably( I'm going to stretch it here) 65% of the guys on FTE. Yes it is farther for some of us attending TS and TF but closer for others plus it is farther west and north for those guys could hopefully attend. I thank Stu for stepping up and again I think his place would fit the bill, thanks Garry

Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
We've talked about this many times before. Sure, no problem. I'll be there. I've attended that show before. Nobody will have to do any preparation or spend any money other than for their hotel room, etc. But, make no mistake, it's a relatively large car "show". If you all don't mind the strangers and lack of privacy, count me in. I was in Townsend just two weekends ago. But I will also say this, I wasted an entire day of my life last January driving around that Townsend area looking for an ideal little campground/resort where we could have our privacy and keep the theme of a private FTE-only meeting, but yet have the freedom to drive down to the True Blue show. We saw a couple online that looked pretty good in pictures, but they were basically awful when I went and looked at them in person. Bottom line--we will either have to camp right there in the car show grounds or get a hotel room there.......if it isn't already booked.
Well, I have not yet gone to this show but have been there for the Smokey mountain run, and I have to say we had a few bug candles after dark, Homade, Brian, Myself and a few others stayed out under the stars till midnight, had a few frosties, didn't have to drive to my hotel, Its fantastic! I would never want to burden anyone to open there home for an overnight event, I don't think its fair to the host.

And really its not a HUGE show, and as shows go it has what we like the most.

Has the pool, maid service, hot showers, 4speed (Andrew) and I bring our own grill and eat like kings all the time meeting new people and talking trucks. All this in a beautiful setting.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
That's a generous offer, Dave. Do you have any pictures of your property that we could see? I've learned that the "unknown" is the biggest deterent to people attending. By the time Truckstock rolled around, I'm pretty sure some of the attendees had spy satellites looking down on my place. They even spotted some redneck sitting in a lawn chair beside the road and wondered if that was me.
Here's an air view of most of the property and house.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Looks like a nice spacious area. Nice place! I'll take the Adirondack chair on the left in the back yard.

All of these are good ideas. Heck, this group can probably have a good time sitting on the side of the Interstate.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:25 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Hey Doc, I thought you were busy at your new job, HUMMMMM, posting in the middle of the day, I think NOT.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Hey Doc, I thought you were busy at your new job, HUMMMMM, posting in the middle of the day, I think NOT.
I can multi-task. I've learned how to type with my left hand. My right hand is currently stuck up......never mind.

Unfortunately, I have to carry this wretched laptop around with me all day long to every single room. It's pretty easy to click over and see what you guys are saying.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Multi-task------My A$$, oh yell, thats what you said, huh.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
[quote=Doc;13957364]I can multi-task. I've learned how to type with my left hand. My right hand is currently stuck up......never mind.

I though all Doc's were right handed and wrote the prescriptions with their left hand!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I wondered why all my drs., carry a laptop in the room. And all this time I thought they were listening to me....

Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I volunteer Dave's place! That looks like a good spread for a truckstock. Personally, I love the thought of another TS in Kentucky. I think KY is a good central point for the midwest/southeast/atlantic guys. No matter where you put it, it will always be a little too far, too cold, too hilly, etc for someone. I think the key is picking the spot and making it happen. While I like WI and IL, getting in and around Chicago can be a real pain at times. Sitting in rush hour traffic with an overheating truck (or one that has lost 1 and 2 gear) is no fun. I even have considered hosting up here in Michigan but that makes it 12 hours drive from Atlanta. At least with KY there are many backways into the state. Also, the more I travel through KY, the more I fall in love with it.

I agree with many of the others. A state park puts a lot of restrictions on the event. Private campgrounds, while somewhat easier, requires people to make reservations and actually show up. Most places want a minimum head count to give group rates, etc. It's a lot of stress to make an event coordinator promise a minimum "X" amount of people. The last thing anyone needs is to be out money for no-shows. When I use to work for a Mustang show, we often lost big bucks because people didn't show up. So many people talk about coming but then they don't. We can do a better job making plans, rsvping and showing up. As for those of you that thought about attending TS or TF but didn't... you missed out. There will always be reasons not to attend but only a few good excuses. For me, both TF and TS last year made the year bearable. The trip to TS was in my top 5 of a lifetime and I have been to Fiji.

As for the sitting in the hotel parking lot thing - been there, done that. Nothing wrong with it just loses something for me. What made TF and TS different for me was the people and the personal touch. Also, tagging onto an event like a car show does little for me. I want my trip to be something different. I go to 4-5 car shows and 10 cruise-ins per year. Prefer something more personal like TS or TF.

We could all just show up at Doc's place again and act like we didn't know. Kidding, I'M KIDDING DOC!

Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, Dave, forgot to mention.... your driveway is WAY to straight and pothole free for most of us. LOL Doc uses a crooked driveway to keep troublemakers out.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by teardropty
... I think the key is picking the spot and making it happen.
Amen.

... When I use to work for a Mustang show, we often lost big bucks because people didn't show up. So many people talk about coming but then they don't. We can do a better job making plans, rsvping and showing up.
That's easy to fix -- pay up front, or don't come. No exceptions. No refunds.

This is a map that shows mileage rings at 200, 300, and 400 miles from southern IL. The flags are people who attended previous TS's (I didn't have a list from Truckfest, sorry, and I missed LarryB, again, sorry). If someone has to travel more than 200 - 300 miles, it becomes a 4-day weekend which not everyone can do. On the other hand, those of us who are retired may want to make it more than a 4-day weekend... especially if it's a long drive. Unless the event gets split into multiple events, southern IL/SW IN/western KY seems like the ideal location.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok Dave 365 miles from me . Pick a date . Maybe if it is after April, I can drive the 56 F250 .

Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
I will do every thing I can but as I said before "the joints up for sale" now if you all want to kick in and buy it we could make it the annual event spot!! The reason it's for sale is my back & knees are shot from playing football for way too many years, and it is a lot to maintain. We have not had a lot of lookers so who knows I will let you all know ASAP as we may decide to just take it off the market and just not do all the darn weed wacking and mowing as often as we have.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
To be honest, Dave, you've made a generous offer but it would be silly to change your plans on something as important as selling a house to host this. And we'd be in the same situation next year. You're not likely to have a line of folks standing at your door for a house like that, and it only takes one to sell!

It would be really cool if we could meet to help someone finish up some work on their truck, get it running, or on the road.

Quick Reply: 2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.