BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
Have you talked to your postal driver I did. He showed me multiple cracks and said the sliding door fell out do to fatigue . I don't know if it is military aluminum.
The first models came out some 28 years ago. With hard use and multiple drivers and minimal maintenance, these trucks have help up quite well.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 02FX4Dude
I'm more concerned about using an aluminum body truck as a daily driver on the salt encrusted roads here in Wisconsin winters. Calcium chloride as well. Steel rusts, yes, but aluminum has it's own brand of corrosion and pitting. Is one worse than the other?
A LONG time ago, I owned a 1960 Austin Healey 3000. The whole cowl and top of the body was aluminum, with fender clamshells and underbody made of steel.

In Michigan salt, there were spots on the car where steel contacted aluminum (normally gasketed) directly, and where this was the case, the aluminum would oxidize badly due to galvanic reaction...it actually got holes in it, and made a gooey white stuff that reminded me of pus.

I am assuming that Ford will do MUCH better in any junctions of steel and aluminum and am interested in aluminum bodies for sure. Only problem is that magnetic signs won't stick to them

Cars like Saturns and Corvettes may use plastic body panels, but underneath is a steel structure that weighs as much as a steel car in order to provide strength (Vettes are now aluminum underneath--a view at the Detroit Auto Show last week was VERY impressive for both the Vette and F150.)

Off topic, our bike club puts on a prestigious race, and a main sponsor is an Audi dealer who provided some NICE Audi pace cars for the race, along with magnetic dealer signs. They forgot about the aluminum doors on their cars, and we had to resort to masking tape.

George

Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Sawfish
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land Rover was putting aluminum bodies on their utility vehicles fifty years ago, and some of those are still slogging through the African savannah (with a few parts transplants of course).

Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Sawfish
Land Rover was putting aluminum bodies on their utility vehicles fifty years ago, and some of those are still slogging through the African savannah (with a few parts transplants of course).
I had a buddy who had a 1966 Land Rover Series 2a and the body on his was in perfect condition in the late 90's. That truck was heavy and would crawl.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 AM
captchas
Originally Posted by GuyGene
Y'all boys go back and read my post. Am I the only one here with a 60 year old aluminum boat, banged against rocks, drug and run up on sandy beaches, salt water, trailered all over country, and still good as new, no leaks. I'll take aluminum, please.
lots of them still working around me also plus used as tenders on many a commercial fishing boat I operate.

adding to the usps trucks, military trucks, jags and few others we need to look back to the late 1950's that 1959 Austin Healey 100 six in my barn is 100% aluminum and still standing strong
then if one takes some time to Google up early 1900 cars they will find cars back in the 20's and 30's with alloy bodies and even 100% aluminum motors made in England, Germany and here in the usa.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM
NJFord93F150
New User
Did anyone think of theft. My concerns with the use of the aluminum are mainly about theft. I work in a high poverty area where they steal the aluminum guard rails and light posts for scrap. Even to the point that they take the aluminum siding right off of people’s houses while they aren't home or during the night while they are sleeping. It would be easy to cut off quarter panels and take them down to the scrap yard. I did write ford about it and all they did when they wrote back was try to sell me one.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Auto theft is a big concern already. If they weren't stealing the wheels and tires off your truck now, they won't be stealing the quartr panels.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Coldsnowman
New User
Actually, in the Twin Cities area there has been a on going problem of wheels being stolen. MN just mandated video cameras at all scrap yards in 2013. Will it make the truck a sought after vehicle, time will tell. In reality, its a unfortunate act that some may venture too. They will be stealing the whole truck; most likely for parts in my opinion.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I live just a few miles south of Minneapolis and I have not heard of anyone trying to steal wheels from scarp yards, which yards was it happening at? Biggest one that I can think of off hand is Great Western Recycling off of Concord Street and Barge Channel road in St. Paul, but I haven't heard anyone stealing wheels from there or even U-Pull.

I've heard of people a few years back cutting off Catalytic converters off other peoples vehicles and gutting them out for scarp since the metals inside are worth what around $50 or $60?

I'd be more worried about people stealing an exhaust system like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster off someone's truck. Less hassle than jacking up a vehicle and leaving on cinder blocks or leaving it on the ground.

Can't trust anyone anymore.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Around here people's tailgates were missing all the time. I keep mine locked at all times.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Coldsnowman
New User
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
I live just a few miles south of Minneapolis and I have not heard of anyone trying to steal wheels from scarp yards, which yards was it happening at? Biggest one that I can think of off hand is Great Western Recycling off of Concord Street and Barge Channel road in St. Paul, but I haven't heard anyone stealing wheels from there or even U-Pull.

I've heard of people a few years back cutting off Catalytic converters off other peoples vehicles and gutting them out for scarp since the metals inside are worth what around $50 or $60?

I'd be more worried about people stealing an exhaust system like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster off someone's truck. Less hassle than jacking up a vehicle and leaving on cinder blocks or leaving it on the ground.

Can't trust anyone anymore.
It was not from the scrap yards, it was right off the vehicles.

St. Paul Police: Crooks stealing tires off cars

Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 PM
daytomann
Senior User
I'm not worried about the aluminum one bit. I welcome this advancement.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Coldsnowman
New User
Originally Posted by daytomann
I'm not worried about the aluminum one bit. I welcome this advancement.
It's not a worry, just a concern as in all new things. I hope it set a standard long over due in vehicles other than luxury cars.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 AM
daytomann
Senior User
Originally Posted by Coldsnowman
It's not a worry, just a concern as in all new things. I hope it set a standard long over due in vehicles other than luxury cars.
Lol....... Let me rephrase.
I'm not CONCERNED about aluminum. However, Just so you know, if you look up concerned and worried, they basically mean the same thing.....

Quick Reply: For those concerned about the aluminum bodies: