1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Starting problem could be remote start or security???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problem could be remote start or security???

So after pulling the starter and cleaning it out as best I could, and then pulling another starter from the parts truck and checking it I went back to voltage checks as described in previous threads. I got help turning the key late in the day and found that even though I have 12.9v at the starter I am only getting about .9vdc at the signal wire when the key is turned. I realize this could be a corrosion or break or other problem with the wire itself but am thinking it is more likely the remote start system or the 'Ford Security System', alarm or whatever it is. Anyone had any problems with an ignition immobilizer locking up so the truck wouldn't start, for example? I got a couple inconsistent starts out of the truck a few days ago but mostly nothing, not even a click from the solenoid. I am pretty sure I do not have a fender mounted relay, as described in some posts on the subject, since I can trace the POS. starter wire straight up to the pax side battery. Any thoughts on this, or anyone know if this alarm system can be overridden or removed? Btw, there is a remote start system on the truck but I have never used it and it has not worked to start the truck since this issue occurred.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
This 'security system' was up behind the PCM by the way. It definitely looks like an amateur install which is why I think it may be the cause of the starting problem. It was ziptied to the harness up there. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Starter Solenoid is attached to the Starter on your truck.

Have you tried to disconnect the "security unit" and start the Truck?

The .9dcv, was that static or under a load (someone starting the truck while you were checking it)?

You can make a switch to activate the starter from the solenoid to test it's operation using a toggle switch and two alligator clips. One to the POS+ and other to the small post "S"

Let us know what you find out so we can research it some more via the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting documents.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 AM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Hi Tom, thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I had the styarter pulled over the weekend and though it turned slowly, the solenoid did engage when I jumped it with a screwdriver. When I put the starter back in yesterday, the solenoid wire read zero (mas o menos) then 0.9v when the key was turned. That's why I started thinking security system. I don't think I can just unplug it, as the unit has battery from, to, ign, all sorts of connectors on it. About a dozen separate wired connections, two main blocks and half a dozen separately fused connections at least. I am going through all the fuses as we speak but didn't think it would be a blown fuse since I got a couple intermittent starts since the problem first arose.
Thanks again for all input and help.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
andys350
Freshman User
You need to find the starter kill wires (two of them) going to the alarm and check each one for voltage. one is going to your switch and the other to the starter solenoid. With key in start position you should have 12 volts on the two wires. if 12 volts only on the switch wire and not on the solenoid wire the alarm is the problem.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM
pwstroker69
Senior User
OK, I have two wires labeled 'ignition' and 'starter' coming from the alarm. I get a 11.5v +/- out of each one when the key is turned all the way to start. I am guessing this should be enough to at least click the solenoid, or am I wrong??
I also put a new battery into the remote starter fob and it does the same, the preheater and fuel pump come on but then nothing. I am truly stumped.
Thanks for the help Andy.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Hi again guys, I am sorry to keep asking questions here but I feel like y'all are my best hope for answering this problem. I now traced the solenoid switch wire, up through a connector in the engine bay where there is no voltage, to the cab, under the steering column. I have found the starter relay in the relays next to the fuses but swapping it out with others makes no difference so it can't be that. Anyone have actual wiring diagrams, or a link to them? I have a yellow with green leader going all the way onto the cab and it appears to go into the back of the relay panel but cannot find where it should come out of there.... any help REALLY appreciated.

I have an update! I just started the truck by jumping the two main starter relay connections with a piece of solid #14 wire. I guess, since I tried switching relays that means the problem IS between the key and the relay.... likely the remote start or the security system?? In that case, any idea how to repair this problem, or should I bypass one or both?

Last edited by pwstroker69; 01-15-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: New information!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Behind the passenger battery, against the rt fender is a single weather pack connector with either an orange or yellow wire (i think) in it. Its in the place of where the older trucks had the fender mounted solenoid for the starter. Unplug and Check your voltage there with someone turning the key. One side should have 12v and one side should not when the key is turned. Putting 12 v to the other side should make the starter engage. I have seen that connection get corroded and cause similar issues.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 AM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Yessir, that is the one I mentioned above, yellow w green tracer. I tested it then followed up into the cab to the starter relay, under the steering column. That is where I am now, I managed to get her started by jumping the relay, but that leads me to believe the problem is definitely in the security system, as it HAS to be between the key and the relay, right?
Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by carltonwebb
Behind the passenger battery, against the rt fender is a single weather pack connector with either an orange or yellow wire (i think) in it.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM
andys350
Freshman User
Could be the switch on the transmission.
It has to be in park or neutral for the relay to work.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Do you know where that switch is located? Is it simple to test once I get at it? Anybody have wiring diagrams or knowledge on this?

Thanks Andy.

Originally Posted by andys350
Could be the switch on the transmission.
It has to be in park or neutral for the relay to work.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
The switch is on the side of the transmission where the linkage goes to shift it. It has two small bolts that hold it in place.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Thanks for all that CW, I will try to figure it out this weekend. I figure of it isn't the neutral safety switch it pretty much HAS to be the security system now.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Tbucs44
New User
Similar issue with a F150 heritage

Pwrstroke have you found the problem and fixed it? I have a similar issue with my truck where I turn the key and nothing happens. Battery and starter are fine.

Quick Reply: Starting problem could be remote start or security???