6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

OEM Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 AM
Arizona SuperDuty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Batteries

OEM batteries died in my 2011 6.7 F350.
48K miles. My truck lives in the Arizona heat but it still seems early. Dealer says tough luck.
What kind of lifespan are you guys getting from your original units?
Thoughts on replacements?
Motorcraft, Interstate, Optimas??

Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I had gotten 4 years on my OEM batteries for my 6.4. It saw AZ temps under the hood all day long.

Seriously I traveled coast to coast in the warmer climates.

Look up your warranty on the batteries. I don't think there is any left though.

On my 6.4 I just replaced them with OEM.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are essentially 3 battery makers out there. Johnson Controls manufacture Motorcraft, Autozone batteries and many others. Of course they are suppose to be manufactured to the spec of the vendor. With my 6.4 I got about 3 years or so. I went to Exide, that was worse so back to Motorcraft. My 6.7 does not seem to eat batteries such as my 6.4. I like Optimas, but just could never justify the cost. I probably will one day.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 AM
brmccolley
Senior User
My preference is Odyssey

ODYSSEY Batteries

If you look at how these batteries are constructed, you will appreciate the attention to detail and strength of concept. These batteries were under contract with Sears as the source for their Platinum series.

These batteries are pricey but popular in other forums. I plan to replace mine with this brand, not only in my truck but also in my Polaris Ranger and Jeep as well.

ODYSSEY Batteries - 65-PC1750T-A

Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure I can prove it with a link, but believe it or not, the Motorcraft OEM replacement batts are actually quite good. I think they're a good value.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I'm not sure I can prove it with a link, but believe it or not, the Motorcraft OEM replacement batts are actually quite good. I think they're a good value.
I agree. If you go on the owners website a lot of times there is a rebate as well.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You didn't say what the manufacture date is on your 2011 but at this point the batteries are close to 4 years old. 4 years is on the low side of average for these trucks but definitely not terrible. I didn't even make 4 years with my 6.0, but I think they were a little more demanding on batteries than the 6.7 is. Some people are just lucky like my brother who got 8 years out of the OEM batteries in his 2001 F550 with the 7.3. I still can't figure out how he did it.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My current batts are not original. I got almost 3 years out of the original batteries.

I don't know how to really treat batteries in an effort to maximize their lifespan. Only point I am trying to make is the the Motorcraft replacements are a good value for the money. They're not the best and they're not the most expensive. I just think they're worth the money.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 AM
btritschler1437
New User
MOTORCRAFT® TESTED TOUGH® MAX BATTERIES STARTING AT $119.95 MSRP.

With 100-month warranty.

With exchange. Taxes and installation extra. Warranty includes FREE towing on Dealer-installed battery. See participating dealership for vehicle applications and limited-warranty details.
Expires 1/31/2014

MOTORCRAFT® TESTED TOUGH® PLUS BATTERIES $99.95 MSRP.

With 84-month warranty.

With exchange. Taxes and installation extra. Warranty includes FREE towing on Dealer-installed battery. See participating dealership for vehicle applications and limited-warranty details.
Expires 1/31/2014

Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by btritschler1437
MOTORCRAFT® TESTED TOUGH® MAX BATTERIES STARTING AT $119.95 MSRP.

With 100-month warranty.

Expires 1/31/2014

MOTORCRAFT® TESTED TOUGH® PLUS BATTERIES $99.95 MSRP.

With 84-month warranty.

Expires 1/31/2014

I just checked my Personalized Vehicle Owner Information site and there are service coupons for the 850 cca for 99.95 and the 950 cca for 119.95, installed from dealers in my area.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:59 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
My OEM Motorcraft's made it 43 months.
The Motorcraft batteries seem to have a good warranty (the ones you buy after the OEM's are shot).
My OEM's gave out a few weeks ago plus they both had been leaking for two years (Ford wouldn't replace them under OEM warranty because they were working).
The only place local that had the Motorcraft batteries in stock was my dealer which would be dealer prices and no discounts.
I didn't think at the time to look at the Ford Owner's site for discounts.

In the end I decided to go with the Diehard Platinum series because those were in stock.
Those have a 4 year full replacement warranty and then prorated up to 100 months if I remember correctly.
I was able to get $96 off plus when using a sears card it was worth 4,000 points or something close to that which can be used later.

I'll see how these work. Truck starts better than the day I picked it up.
Plus I was a bit irritated how much of a mess the OEM Motorcraft batteries made.
These Diehards may do the same thing but I'll wait and see.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:59 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lead acid batteries aren't going to last as long in an automotive application than a stationary float application... I consider 2 years good value out of flooded or flooded "maintenance-free" models that have not had frozen electrolyte. I change them periodically and place them into service in less-critical applications.

I specify AGMs for certain applications, however I don't believe in them for automotive applications where they will see harsh conditions and I can buy 3 sets of flooded "maintenance free" models for the price of a set of quality AGMs (Enersys). Take 'em out every 6 months or so, put them on a load bank and watch the discharge curve and decide if it's time to change them BEFORE they fail when you need them most.

Batteries are not 'set and forget' especially not lead-acid chemistries. Even in stationary applications they need periodic maintenance, conductance tests, occasional equalizing charging (flooded style) but they will run for over a decade meeting design specifications if taken care of properly.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM
azking_Ranch
Tuned
I'm also in Arizona and my 2011 F350, 30500 miles and still on the original set of Batteries, had to service them some time back low on water but still holding in there. Had two F250's that had to be replaced within the first two years.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:32 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
The Motorcraft batteries that come with the truck are made in the USA, and the Motorcraft batteries that you purchase at the Ford dealer in the parts dept. are made in mexico.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 PM
Arizona SuperDuty
New User
Thanks to all. Gonna check out those MC service coupons and 100 month warranty. Sounds like a really good value. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply: OEM Batteries