1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

What Have You Done With Your Truck Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM
F&M
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My DD is in the shop so I took the 67F2fiddy on a 250 mile trip.Amazed I got 13.2MPG! The 390 does better the harder you drive it!!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Did some research on my steering wheel. I had an old gentleman approach me asking about my steering wheel. Says he's never seen one on a truck. But he saw one in a plane he flew.
B25 Mitchell Bomber
So I started looking for images and found a few. They are pretty similar if I can get a definitive answer on this I'll be pretty happy. If this is indeed out of a B25 then the steering wheel was made between 1939 and 1945 That makes me even more happy.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...256653.520.390

Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Neat story about the guy pointing that out to you. Where did you come across your steering wheel at gangstakr?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
Did some research on my steering wheel. I had an old gentleman approach me asking about my steering wheel. Says he's never seen one on a truck. But he saw one in a plane he flew.
B25 Mitchell Bomber
So I started looking for images and found a few. They are pretty similar if I can get a definitive answer on this I'll be pretty happy. If this is indeed out of a B25 then the steering wheel was made between 1939 and 1945 That makes me even more happy.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...256653.520.390

I assume you added the horns? The actual wheel looks a little thinner than your's in the picture not to mention the center and the two bare metal joints. Restored and original.

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Yeah the horns or spikes were machined to carry the flow from the outside mirrors to the inside. If you look at the original mirrors they have a bullet spike, then look at the steering wheel, the theme just continued.

Crazed87bronco, I picked it up at an old airport here in town. Met an old mechanic who said he had something for me. I originally wanted and F100 fighter jet steering yoke, but unbeknownst to me, they are joysticks. The mechanic I met said he would look for something I might like, then he called. A machinest friend of mine, machined the bullet' for it.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM
For-dragon
Senior User
Not that i've even wanted to, but that's one steering wheel I don't want my chest to meet in an accident. Careful out there.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Looked out at it sitting snow covered in the back yard.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by For-dragon
Not that i've even wanted to, but that's one steering wheel I don't want my chest to meet in an accident. Careful out there.
So I have a question for you, Since you've been driving, "How many times has your chest come into contact with the steering wheel?" I here a lot of comments
regarding my steering wheel, and I've often wondered how many people have been in head on collisions and survived? Or for that matter, "How many have had head on collisions driving an old truck?" What did the other car look like?
Just curious.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So I have a question for you, Since you've been driving, "How many times has your chest come into contact with the steering wheel?" I here a lot of comments
regarding my steering wheel, and I've often wondered how many people have been in head on collisions and survived? Or for that matter, "How many have had head on collisions driving an old truck?" What did the other car look like?
Just curious.
Funny you should ask. Friday I smoked a mid '80's 4 door Olds. She was slowing down to turn, I hit the brakes, my tires locked up - the road looked wet. I came to find out that it was not wet, but covered with black ice.

Long story short, she was moving at about 15 MPH and I was going about 60 MPH. It is now a flatbed 2 door Oldsmobile. Luckily, no one was hurt, and my truck lost an original FoMoCo headlight. The bumper took the hit and I have a little ding on the hood - and I think the frame might be tweaked.

Oh yes, the passenger side shackle bolts broke too.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^ post the damage sorry to hear about the truck but everyone came out ok which is good.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 PM
For-dragon
Senior User
regarding my steering wheel, and I've often wondered how many people have been in head on collisions and survived?
The original post was part joke, but I'm a doctor and in all seriousness I see 2-3 people involved in MVAs a week, many of whom (~50%) unfortunately hit the steering wheel. Survival isn't the only concern, at least not with a typical wheel. Broken ribs are not delightful, but punctured lungs? That's a fun weekend.

In all seriousness, it's a unique wheel, just to risky for me. Of course that's why I don't have one.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I walked by mine and admired the new hubcaps.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM
For-dragon
Senior User
Come on Shadow...No pics?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by For-dragon
The original post was part joke, but I'm a doctor and in all seriousness I see 2-3 people involved in MVAs a week, many of whom (~50%) unfortunately hit the steering wheel. Survival isn't the only concern, at least not with a typical wheel. Broken ribs are not delightful, but punctured lungs? That's a fun weekend.

In all seriousness, it's a unique wheel, just to risky for me. Of course that's why I don't have one.
I get all jokes regarding steering wheel. It is definitely to risky for the average person. I really like hearing people comment on it when they think I can't hear them. I do have shoulder belts in my truck so that would help. I've never been in an accident (knock on wood) I can only imagine the damage. but with a steel vehicle over 4000 lbs I'd worry about the other people first. Thank you for looking and commenting on my steering wheel.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Funny you should ask. Friday I smoked a mid '80's 4 door Olds. She was slowing down to turn, I hit the brakes, my tires locked up - the road looked wet. I came to find out that it was not wet, but covered with black ice.

Long story short, she was moving at about 15 MPH and I was going about 60 MPH. It is now a flatbed 2 door Oldsmobile. Luckily, no one was hurt, and my truck lost an original FoMoCo headlight. The bumper took the hit and I have a little ding on the hood - and I think the frame might be tweaked.

Oh yes, the passenger side shackle bolts broke too.
I'm glad your alright, I'm assuming the lady was alright also. You really should customizing in a shop and not on the highway. So, is she happy with your work? After all, you did give her a flatbed 2 door Oldsmobile. UNIQUE I'd say.

Quick Reply: What Have You Done With Your Truck Today