1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

flat black paint

Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 PM
materi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aus56 is that truck in your sig factory color?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
PMs replied to gents.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:03 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Wally, both of your trucks look great i have always loved red even as a kid i had a few red cars,i had a black dodge pick up & that looked great too but it showed every little bit of dirt

Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 AM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by HILLBILLY BOB
Wally, both of your trucks look great i have always loved red even as a kid i had a few red cars,i had a black dodge pick up & that looked great too but it showed every little bit of dirt
Thanks Bob, black does show every little spot of dirt for sure. I drive a silver car and that car always looks pretty clean.

wally

Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Materi, sorry for the late reply, yes it is factory colour.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I might be completely wrong but I believe you can use a two stage paint and get the clear coat mixed to a flat finish. Check with your paint supplier. I also love flat black but my truck is red. I do know that single stage flat is a real bugger to keep looking good.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
I might be completely wrong but I believe you can use a two stage paint and get the clear coat mixed to a flat finish. Check with your paint supplier. I also love flat black but my truck is red. I do know that single stage flat is a real bugger to keep looking good.
From experience; I agree that Single Stage flat black is a real bugger to keep looking good.....I gave up on it and repainted 2 stage; the clear having some "dull" in it. Then I found that I could wash it and use spray wax on it and it turned out pretty good.....not flat/ not shiney and would stay clean appearing. If you go with Gloss Black; you'll be cleaning it forever as it shows dirt the worst.....other colors and finishes get just as dirty; they just show less. Bottom Line tho: it's your truck,,,,do what ya want!!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fergusonicford
From experience; I agree that Single Stage flat black is a real bugger to keep looking good.....I gave up on it and repainted 2 stage; the clear having some "dull" in it. Then I found that I could wash it and use spray wax on it and it turned out pretty good.....not flat/ not shiney and would stay clean appearing. If you go with Gloss Black; you'll be cleaning it forever as it shows dirt the worst.....other colors and finishes get just as dirty; they just show less. Bottom Line tho: it's your truck,,,,do what ya want!!
That sounds like the best of both worlds. Do you have any pictures? Did you have any difficulties with the 2 stage paint?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just finished painting my '53 panel with Du pont Hot Rod black (HHM-6400). The paint is two part (paint plus hardener) single stage. It is not flat but a satin or semi-gloss. Yes, the paint is kinda a pain. If you mess up you can't feather it out and re-shoot the bad area, you have to re-shoot the entire panel. That said, the paint flows and covers great.

For cleaning, I use Meguiar's Quick Mist and Wipe Detailer. Get's rid of finger prints etc and works great.

I would not recommend true "flat" paint. I ran around with primer hot rods for many years in my younger days and the finish just doesn't hold up. The flat black will fade after a few days in the sun.

Depends on the look you're going for. For a traditional truck, a gloss in one of the original colors. For the darkside, yeah, satin black.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:16 PM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Originally Posted by petemcl
That sounds like the best of both worlds. Do you have any pictures? Did you have any difficulties with the 2 stage paint?
Pictures were all on my old computer that bit the dust and I lost 'em all. I did not have any probs with the 2 stage painting....but: spraying this stuff takes some care......what you spray is what you get....there is not cutting and buffing. Then I had it painted for the 3rd time as shown in my gallery. And then.............I sold it.....sob sob.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 PM
materi
New User
Petemcl any pics of the panel. I like the idea of the quik detail spray. Anyone tried that swiss wax stuff? Really expensive but supposed to work awesome

Old 12-23-2013, 06:18 AM
jthesby
Junior User
Ran across this stuff in one of the mags the other day, meant to order some up as I've got a '56 Vw bug sprayed with the hot rod flats black. It might work alright?

Rat Wax - Matte Paint Detailer - Rat Wax - Car Care Products for Rods & Kustoms

It was a quicky job done in the garage, mostly to put something on there that wasn't porous a the primer that was currently on there. Looks ok from about 25+ feet out, didn't spend a bunch of time on prep, we shot this and my buddies '64 Vw notchback the same day.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jthesby
Ran across this stuff in one of the mags the other day, meant to order some up as I've got a '56 Vw bug sprayed with the hot rod flats black. It might work alright?

Rat Wax - Matte Paint Detailer - Rat Wax - Car Care Products for Rods & Kustoms
Good tip . I'll have to try some of it. Their website explains a lot and covered my key concerns. Thank for sharing.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:03 PM
materi
New User
thanks alot for the help guys. my body guy is gonna shoot my tailgate with the same paint that harley davidson uses on there bikes. Its a "denim" paint. Let you guys know how it turns out

Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 AM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are two cars that really caught my at a show last year,1 is gloss the other is flat satin. I like the bright red engine compartment to go with the flat satin. L8R ZFLASH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flat black paint