Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The $500 F250

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, after several failed attempts to buy a CV front end, one finally popped up on my local Craigslist. I went and picked it up yesterday. The guy selling it was super cool. We talked cars for quite a while. He had a '59 Ford truck that he was going to convert to IFS, but decided the CV was too wide. He's going to use a Dakota front end.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:34 PM
JP3
More Turbo
The bed is off!

Jake's unorthodox method of grinding bed bolts off.

Next thing is to pressure wash the frame, mark the cut, remove the fuel lines, brake lines, wiring and get to cutting!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Chopped. Just held in place with ratchet straps at the moment. Because of the frame taper, the back half of the frame overlaps the front half, so the section we cut out was only 4-5/8" wide. We will bolt the halves together first then weld it up. Looks pretty tough 16" shorter. I modeled the chop in AutoCAD before I started and the two halves went together exactly as I expected.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Drilled some holes and squeezed the two halves together with some 1/2" grade 8 bolts. It really worked better than I hoped. They squeezed together where the overlaps are flush and ready to clean up and weld.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:10 AM
piratius
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting change of directions!

Question about the frame cut - is there an advantage to slotting the frame and having the "C" sections go through one another (last picture, where you're squeezing it with the bolts), instead of just cutting off the top of the rail that goes to the outside, and then welding them together that way? Or is it just different ways to skin the cat?

Old 08-19-2016, 03:17 PM
JP3
More Turbo
Just personal preference really. I liked the idea of one half "keying" into the other half and having the bed bolts provide a 3rd mechanical connection on each side.

Either way would certainly work fine.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:08 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Welded it back together. It's probably the stiffest part of the whole dang frame now. haha.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:30 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 195 Likes on 179 Posts
Nice progress and good work.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Went to the junk yard and liberated a 9" from a truck. It was Jake's first time to go out and yank parts at a junkyard. BTW, cordless impacts are awesome! haha

All clean. This is not the stock center. It has a hooded pinion support and from what I have read, only passenger cars came with them. I have no idea what the ratio is but I suspect is is a 2.75. We will pop it open and have a look this week.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:56 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Yep it's a 2.75. Bummer.

Successful weekend. The 9" is in! I picked up some spring perches at the local speed shop last week. The 9" is from a Bumpside truck so the stock spring perches are on different centers than a Dentside. I figured out where they needed to be and welded them on. The original perches were going to be in the way so I just took a cut-off wheel and cut the center out of them. I could have cut them completely off, but really didn't see a need to. I reused the 1/2 ton u-bolts with the 3/4 ton plates (because of the 3" wide leafs) and we removed the *gigantic* lower leaf. 4 leafs remain. I'd rather it be too high in the back than too low. The shocks bolted up decently enough, and the brake lines and cables fit perfectly. I had hoped to reuse the sway bar, but since the shocks are pulled in a bit, the bar hits them. The brake line T would also be in the way, so we just took the bar off. We cleaned up the 3.25 center and swapped in a new pinion seal. Then Jake poked it in and added gear oil. Driveshaft length is going to be 48". I initially thought a Fox body shaft would work because I asked Jake to google "Mustang driveshaft length" and he spouted out the first number he saw. I should have asked him to google "fox body driveshaft length" haha. Oh well, no biggie.

Next up is shortening the fuel and brake lines, then finding a spot to mount the surge tank.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:35 PM
JP3
More Turbo
I don't know why I keep updating this, but here goes.

Brake lines connected, surge tank bracket made and tank mounted (for efi), 16" of the bed is chopped and we about ready to weld it back together.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 PM
classictruckman
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You keep updating this because we all enjoy the photos and the stories, and because long after you're done you'll be able to look at the build and the process of it and say we built that cool truck!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:03 PM
doc_f250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by classictruckman
You keep updating this because we all enjoy the photos and the stories, and because long after you're done you'll be able to look at the build and the process of it and say we built that cool truck!
this.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 AM
piratius
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's looking great!

I think you keep updating the thread for a few reasons - first off, it's a great way to remember what you've done, with both pictures and text! Secondly, as long as the photo host doesn't expire, you and your son will be able to view all of the build pictures and share them with friends and family! Third, it's a great resume builder if your son wants to get into the automotive field - "yeah, my dad and I built this truck, and here's the proof!".

And, it's great to share with us, who are jealous you've got a fun project, a willing helper, and the motivation to actually get it done!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:28 AM
JP3
More Turbo
I welded and welded and welded. Then we spun the bed back around and realized the remnant of one of the bed crossmembers was right on top of my surge tank. The bed is currently sitting on wood blocks and is not bolted down yet. Sunday afternoon, Jake decided to pull the i-beams out. I just had to provide direction and occasionally break a bolt loose that was too tight for him.

The Cobra wheels are just a set we borrowed to check fitment, etc.

He thinks we will be able to pull the engine and have the CV front end all bolted in by next weekend..... I guess it's ok to dream big. lol

Quick Reply: The $500 F250