Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quich question about 07 Front End Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:54 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning on converting my 2001 7.3 4x4 to a Harley Davidson one...as close as I can. I am looking to start with the front end and found this conversion kit.http://www.mkmcustoms.com/fordfull07...paintable.aspx. Does anyone have any experience with using this company and if so how was the fit and finish of their product? I understand the best way to go is using genuine Ford parts but I was curious what you all thought about using this kit?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:04 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do a CL/eBay/junk yard search and see what you can find. more often then not you can source everything you would need for cheaper and closer without having to put out 1500$ plus paint and shipping.

That being said, i have seen they're conversion lights in person, the ones that fit the 99-04 header panel and they fit perfect, as well as the grille that was almost perfect. These pieces probably would not fall under that category because this is a full swap and you would be replacing all the components completely

Justin

Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Originally Posted by mecdac
Sweet....please lete know and good luck

Old 11-20-2013, 03:42 PM
wrxin
Elder User
A lot of folks (myself included) buy a used grill off an 05 and trim the bottom to fit. Best $50 I ever spent. (thanks Craigslist)

I like the grill you bought. I would have considered it but $50 for the chrome grill was too good to pass up.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I did the swap completely without cutting the bottom of the grill. Looks way better to just swap everything out and not have to replace cut pieces later when I finished the swap

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
I bought Sinister Diesel's aftermarket Harley Grille, since it was about 1/5th of the cost of a new one. I am happy with it, but still prefer an OEM, though they are getting harder to find.
This was my 00 XLT right after getting it home.

This is right after I hung the new 05 Header panel, OEM Ford Harley Headlights, and I used Riff-Raff Diesel's adapter plugs to plug the 00 harnes to the 05 lights. The grill is the MKM Grill, and the bumper is a 2005 Excursion bumper, so fits perfect with the new grill.

And this was after the new springs, and the tires and rims off my F350...

And THis is it as of today!

Hopefully this helps! I personally would recommend replacing the header panel. It was only $110 and makes the mounting of the lights and grill all factory. This is the second Ex that I have done the Harley treatment to...
This was my first!

Garry, Kodiak, Alaska

Old 11-20-2013, 06:54 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Originally Posted by garryk6
I bought Sinister Diesel's aftermarket Harley Grille, since it was about 1/5th of the cost of a new one. I am happy with it, but still prefer an OEM, though they are getting harder to find.
This was my 00 XLT right after getting it home.

This is right after I hung the new 05 Header panel, OEM Ford Harley Headlights, and I used Riff-Raff Diesel's adapter plugs to plug the 00 harnes to the 05 lights. The grill is the MKM Grill, and the bumper is a 2005 Excursion bumper, so fits perfect with the new grill.

And this was after the new springs, and the tires and rims off my F350...

And THis is it as of today!

Hopefully this helps! I personally would recommend replacing the header panel. It was only $110 and makes the mounting of the lights and grill all factory. This is the second Ex that I have done the Harley treatment to...
This was my first!

Garry, Kodiak, Alaska
You sir are my new inspiration! Love both of them! Did you do the exterior only or were you able to do any interior mods as well?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by wrxin
A lot of folks (myself included) buy a used grill off an 05 and trim the bottom to fit. Best $50 I ever spent. (thanks Craigslist)

I like the grill you bought. I would have considered it but $50 for the chrome grill was too good to pass up.
I had a line on one ('04 with chrome) but had a nick I did not like, seeing AKex's (Russ) painted grill gave me an idea and I think I will have the right mix (for me) paint, chrome and black.

This way I get an '05-'07 Limited Excursion with a 7.3.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by El_Coqui
You sir are my new inspiration! Love both of them! Did you do the exterior only or were you able to do any interior mods as well?
I only did the exteriors on both. The Black one was easy, as it was an 05 limited I bought new. So all I did was grill and headlights, all OEM. But it had the 6.0. I had several minor issues with it, and since I live on an island in Alaska now, and my travel trailer is still in WA state, the diesel was not a good choice. Took forever to warm up, and not enough road to let it stretch it's legs...
So when I ran across a 2000 XLT Ex that had only 70k miles, had a V10 with a Whipple supercharger and Banks headers and exhaust with factory 4.30 gears, I made a quick trip to Anchorage, bought it for $8,500 and then flew home to arrange ferry tickets to get it home. In the meanwhile, cleaned out the 05, removed my Road armor bumper and a few other items, and reinstalled the original bumper, and sold it about a month later with only 46k miles. Then started ordering parts to make the 00 like my old 05... Still working on the 00, but slowly getting it to where I would like it to be, and have already put over 5000 miles on it here on the island in 11 months...

Good luck with your, and if you have any questions, just send me a pm etc.

Garry,
Kodiak, Alaska

Old 11-30-2013, 05:13 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Update '05-'07 Grill and headlights

As a follow up:

Attached Images    
Old 11-30-2013, 06:41 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Originally Posted by mecdac
As a follow up:
Thanks for the pics man....I was just thinking about that here a little while ago. So how did it all fit? You happy wih how it all sits in there?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the pics man....I was just thinking about that here a little while ago. So how did it all fit? You happy wih how it all sits in there?
lmctruck.com may have what you want. Here are there Harley headlights on my 05

Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
How it fits...

The hardest part is getting the blasted clip(s) off the original headlight assembly.

The replacements are a tight fit because it is all one piece rather than the OEM two piece set up.

They look like the Harley system with a row of LED's, all I have to do is run a wire and switch for DRL to the LED. I want to use DRL when I want, not when the Nanny state tells me to have them on.

The tail lights will be in Monday and I will post a complete how-to when I am finished.

Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
LED tail lights

Installed the LED tail lights. Fantastic

Not happy with the production of light from headlights so I am getting HID and LED fog lights.

Low beam is ok not great, high beam is not very high ^ and not very much.

When the HID arrives I will then hook up the LED strip as DRL's.

Love the look but it is more important to have actual light.

To be continued.

Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Quich question about 07 Front End Conversion