Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Lightnin' Build thread (88 F150 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well got a quick update:
went to my buddies place whom has the 302 for sale at $100. The engine is pretty clean and nothing in the oil but a little old of oil. So what I am going to do is throw this one my buddy has in my truck for now run around on that and slowly save up and build my current 302 for high performance and stuff then drop it back in.
Also my buddy has a brush guard like on our 89 F250 from his 90 F350 that he doesn't want anymore he said $25 and we can have it. It looks to need some welding here and there but not bad. It is chrome and has light tabs but only one light on it right now.
Trav

Old 02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good man. Hope you can get that thing back on the road soon. It had to suck having it break as soon as you got it running...

Old 02-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ya it did but luckly my buddy is awesome and willing to work with me on this part. Hoping to get the engine pay dayish so the 26th or the 1st and then get an oil pump and water pump (just to be safe) and throw them in there put my new parts on it then drop the engine in probably around spring time.
It should be fun because we are also looking at getting a truck for my brother (instead of the crew cab) and drop the crew cab engine in this truck then down the line fix the crew cab. So I got a lot of projects on hand but luckly have dependable brothers whom can help. (which I am about to open a thread on in a few minutes).
Trav

Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Well very small update got some chrome door lock ***** off my brothers B2 traded him for my black ones looks 10xs better now since there is more chrome/stainless inside I think some pedal accents, thresholds chrome, ***** for AC chrome, 80-86 chrome metal door handles and it will have the perfect mixture of chrome and black inside. Also got my wheel back on since the flat ended up shredding the old tire I had a 235 75 R15 like the others laying around that was a mud terrain and had that mounted on my wheel and cleaned up and straightened the rear cap (looks like new now) still have to pull the front wheels and get them. Got to syphon the gas out of the truck so it doesn't cause the tank to rust still but will do that soon. Getting most of the stuff I need for the engine swap to be sure I have this so far:
oil filter and oil
oil pump
water pump
hoses for radiator (mine I needed to replace anyways)
thermostat to be safe
maybe an air filter (what do you guys think of this one: Spectre Performance/Air Filter - Performance (886366) | 1988 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L FI | AutoZone.com
They also have an airaid intake filter which I have in the 02 and love. I had a K&N in the 86 and hated it. All are drop in filters
wipers (need some)
radiator cap (again to be safe will give mine to my brothers 84 B2 since his broke)
magnetic oil drain plug
transmission filter
the fan clutch and belts
rear fuel pump (maybe front to as I may give my dad my front since my truck will be down and get new ones)
transmission modulator
Is there anything else I should get for the engine swap and to get me back on the road?
I have other things on my list for autozone but these are the must have parts.
After I get the engine out and check it over (the current one in my 88) I will start a list of parts I want. Might have a little help with the swap too besides my brothers and dad hoping to get the new engine in spring time or so the faster the better (tired already of driving my mom's 97 Expy.)
Trav

Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ok so got my engine over here at the house along with brush guard yesterday. Going to need a few more parts then I originally thought but my current engine has most already. Also got the brush guard over here going to wait till my engine is installed to put it on as it probably would get in the way. Might pull it out of the new truck's bed to see what it will look like though.
While taking some pics found a broken vacuum line going to fix that hopefully.
Got some cleaning to do on my new engine and my engine bay so might start that soon not sure as it is in the bed of my brothers truck so kinda hard to work with parts to his engine (which I need to figure out what is what maybe later after school).

Also looks like I need a new sig pic as none of the vehicles look the same and the blue truck is gone and missing 4 of our vehicles in that pic.
Trav

Old 02-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Well got a few updates for y'all you may have heard one in the what have you done thread but here we go:
First I had my neighbor look at my brush guard to see if he can weld what I need and hide it decent he said ya on that part so once I get the truck running will run down there and have him weld it (I personally don't know how to weld and my neighbor knows how to weld really well).
Second found out that the engine I bought has had the spark plugs on one side and I have no idea how long it has been like that. So a mess up on my part not looking at that is going to set me back a bit. I am going to have to rebuild it. I am hoping to do this:
Going to use the engine I picked up to do this hopefully the cam is good. I am hoping to between the 2 build one good engine with this rebuild kit (depending on which heads are better will use them, depending on which block is better will use it, and so on):
Bore the engine .030 over for the piston and rings, trying to go .010 over on main bearings (undersize), hopefully stock on rod bearing undersized but may have to go .010 over, chromoly rings like my dad swears by.
I am hoping to go with this rebuild kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...view/make/ford
but only if I can stay stock on rod bearings. I also have to find out some prices on machining work (everybody is closed weekends so I haven't had the chance to find out) going to get the water pump, thermostat, trans filter, drain plug, and some small things through autozone or O'rielly (both sell motorcraft oil filters cheap so going with that hopefully). I will build it better nice and strong later on. Depending on how much this runs me up I may go headers I can't afford much I am hoping to rebuild the engine and all for about $500-$700 if less then better but I doubt it will be because of machining needed. Will update with more info when I find out more.
Trav

Old 03-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ok so quick update. Yesterday I picked up a tach style gauge cluster for $20. Found out it is a direct swap so I am going to first clean it up and put the miles back to mine then paint the needles then will throw it in. The junkyard has a stock ford radio I may go grab it not sure yet.

Also looks like for a bit more I can get a complete engine through o'rielly or autozone for about $1700 which comes with heads, pan, valve covers, and everything minus water pump. I think I am going to go that route. It is $400-500 for a core so will turn in the one I got from my buddy for a core.
Trav

Old 03-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Painted some mirrors black that I had like the ones before but with blind spots. Threw them on the other day and made the truck look a lot better.
Also picked up a stock ford raido for free from the junkyard. I believe it works this one has the Fade button on it compared to my dads 89 F250 and brother's 91 F250s radios.

Just finished painting the gauge cluster needles Bright red. Really made them pop and they are still translucent so the light will shine threw it too. Hopefully going to throw it on. I may take out my gear selector and paint the orange piece inside red like the needles but not sure yet.
Trav

Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Well installed my tach style gauge cluster yesterday. Unfortunetly I broke the gear selector while doing it but that's ok I will just have to count how many shifts on the column till drive that's usually what I do anyways. When I find a good one will throw it in.
Trav

Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
quick pic updates.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ok decided I would update y'all with my thoughts. The 302 I got from my buddy may not be to bad. I am going to pull the plugs vacuum the cylinders out and throw a little oil in it. If it turns freely going to drop a oil pump and water pump in it and drive it hopefully. Then going to go pickup a 351W for $200 at the scrap yard. I am going to rebuild it and build it to my liking then drop it in. That is the plan but as y'all know sometimes plans don't go all the way.

Anyways I have been researching accessories and exhaust and here is what I am thinking:
true dual glass packs (thrush) with no cats
use 2 1/2" stainless steel piping all the way to the back of the truck and come out under the rear bumper.
I really like these Tips I was thinking of getting 2 of them but I noticed they have resonators I am kinda leery about that as it may get rid of the sound I want. Could I cut the resonators out?
Flow Tech Terminator 59905FLT - Exhaust Tip | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I am thinking these headers (I know I want long tube ceramic coated ones) but I am curious after I do the 351 swap (not sure which heads I am going to run probably GT40 or Gt40P heads maybe trick flows) will the headers bolt up. Otherwise I am going to have to wait on my exhaust
Flow Tech Flowtech I Standard 12502 - Exhaust Header | O'Reilly Auto Parts

The truck I am getting the 351W from is a 2wd F250 going to grab the coils from it that way it levels my truck a bit till I can afford what I really want ( a real leveling kit or a 6" lift with 35s not sure yet (if I do 35's I will do a D44 SAS))

Much later down the road I am contemplating doing an OBS clip swap, get a black chrome billet grille get headlights like Nick (the guy with the orange truck) got just in black and make custom front and rear bumpers. If I do I will run a small Steel cowl hood for sure. Will my fender flares fit the OBS clip? I definitely want to keep my flares so if I can't use them then I will stay brick.

For now what do you guys think about me taking the valance on the bottom of the bumper off?
Also I am thinking of making a custom light bar that bolts (or clamps) on the roof and get a sweet LED Light bars (along with on the brush guard). Does anybody make something like this? I saw a truck in the music video for We rode in trucks By Luke Bran that has similar.
I read somewhere that I can probably wet sand my headlights to get rid of some of the fogging? Is this true? Once the truck is on the road again I will be getting some 3m defogger ( I need it on my bike anyways)

O'rielly has remote start set ups for $20 (on clearance) I may do that.

Here are some quick paint shop jobs I did to see what it would look like and I really like it (minus I want black mirrors instead like I have on the truck now)

EDIT:
Here is a pic of my brothers holding the brush guard up to the truck so we could get a better idea of how it looks I love the look. I really want to put some LED lights.
(The KC light I am mounting as a reverse Light since the other one is broken:

Let me know on all this guys and gals.
Trav

Last edited by Redneckfordf2502002; 03-18-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: forgot one pic of the brush gaurd
Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just some quick thoughts, Trav:

302 headers won't fit a 351. The 351 block is wider. For exhaust on the 302, there's a couple places that sell true dual exhaust kits that bolt up to the stock manifolds. If you're planning a 351 swap, I'd skip the headers on the 302 and just run a true dual kit off the manifolds. Jeg's, Summit Racing, and LMC sell kits for this.

Your front brick flares won't fit OBS fenders.

I like that paint scheme!

Removing the front valance will make the truck look a little higher, do it!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Thanks Bob I am glad to know you are able to help me:
I won't be doing a kit my muffler shop told me to do true dual thrush packs with headers he would charge me $150 and have it out within a few hours (he supplies pipe I supply headers and dual thrush packs) Of course I think that was without stainless steel piping which I want to run stainless steel piping because I love the sound. Plus I don't want any problems setting it all up with the way everything is routed under there. If I don't go to him my neighbor has a welder, pipe bending equipment and more so I could do it with him for free (minus the welding rods and such). I will just run true dual thrush packs stainless steel pipng until I do the 351W swap then I will throw headers on.

Thanks on the paint scheme it was my dad's idea since I didn't want it exactly like our 02. I am not sure weather I am going to run the shaved look on the emblems or if I should keep them I kinda like the emblems especially once I put my Sport custom (from a 60s-70s truck) on it.

If my brick flares won't fit then I won't be running an OBS clip for a while till maybe right before paint and I can afford new flares that are about the same.

I think I am going to do the front valance I really kinda hate how low it looks with it. I think once off and I get some F250 coils and the brush guard on it will look sweet.
Trav

Old 03-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Well Wednesday (March 2 2014) I am going to pick up a camper shell for a long bed truck that fits this era truck (if it is still their but I think it will be). I saw it yesterday but couldn't pick it up because of having the 02 with us I could never fit it (I had a trailer with sleeper camper on it). It appears to be in great condition minus typical Arizona paint fading (I have to paint it anyways have to decide black or white), and missing the back glass and glass that goes against the cab. Personally I don't care about the glass that goes against the cab since I don't like it. I have some rubber molding laying around that will work to seal it against the cab that way I can open my sliding rear and throw stuff back their. The back glass I am going to make one from plexi glass or something and put a locking latch on it so nobody can get in. The side windows are sliding type but have screens and latches. The cool part is it even comes with the clamps. It is a fiberglass one so I can take it off easily and worse case scenario I can use it on another truck if I don't like it but I think I will. What I am thinking about doing is drilling some holes and mounting lights on the shells with quick connect wires so I have more lights (of course I will brace it) and maybe put a decent rack on it. I think the shell will work nicer for my needs as it will lock in my spare tires, lock in some of my riding equipment, and other sorts of stuff. plus maybe it will pick up my MPGs (LOL last shell I had on a truck it didn't change). We shall see if it works out.
That's the only update I have right now.

I decided for now I am going to pull the heads on the 302 from my buddy see if their is any rust or pitting in it. If their is off to the local junkyard and I am getting a 351. If it is good throwing a set of head gaskets, new head bolts, new oil pump, and new water pump and running that and slowly build my dream 351W.

Also waiting for a decent day to go to the junkyard and grab either F250 coils or there are some Moog coils on a F150 their that will level me out. Have to do some measuring when I get their and choose which one.
Trav

Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Well decided against the shell. Looked at multiple trucks with shells and only one I liked was on Diesel Brads F250 DRW Short bed and even then I barely cared for it.

So back to the original plan of nothing in the bed or anything and just put a light bar on the roof. Maybe will put an in bed truck box. But I also like the set up this guy has on his bed (the fake roll bar) minus so much black I thought about making one for my truck just in chrome:
VERY slow build 95 F150 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Doing that will allow me to get a tonna cover. I like the set up of his truck minus the black bumpers and wheels.
Let me know what y'all think (I know I change my mind a lot but what fun would it be if I didn't LOL
Trav

Quick Reply: White Lightnin' Build thread (88 F150 4x4)