1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need a heater assembly for a 54

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:10 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
There is a side vent cover that goes on the inside of the cowl for trucks with recirc heaters or no heaters.

If your heater looks like mine it is a recirc heater. The two ***** should be for the fan (off, low and high) and for the defroster.

Can you show us a picture?

Old 04-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Edds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
There is a side vent cover that goes on the inside of the cowl for trucks with recirc heaters or no heaters.

If your heater looks like mine it is a recirc heater. The two ***** should be for the fan (off, low and high) and for the defroster.

Can you show us a picture?
Does mid-fifty sale the covers or LMK truck?

That is the one I bought. If anything I can buy the two **** if the four **** doesn't work then.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Edds
Senior User
Never mind about the covers, I found them on mid-fifty.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

I think Mid Fifty sells them. Look them up online or in the catalog. I think theirs is a fiberglass piece. I think I have one I could sell you if interested.

That is definitely a recirc heater. Do the cables for the air and temp have someplace to hook up to? I am sure they don't. MidFifty does sell the decal with the words, fan, defroster, air and temp, written on them like the original. You could keep that four **** bracket with the two unused cables going nowhere.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 AM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

LOVE that hammered paint!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

17 years ago I painted mine gloss black but in should have painted it with hammered paint.

Will I take it out and redo it? No.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
That picture Edds posted got me wondering about something. My truck has no heater fitted but has done in the past with a hole through the firewall which I assume was for the fresh air type you mentioned. But is it supposed to demist the inside of the windshield because there are no vents there? I'd normally expect the air to duct into 2 fishtails and distribute air along the bottom of the screen.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nojive55
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but kind of ironic, I just removed mine from the 56 last night. What color should it be, going to media blast and repaint. PO painted it silver, I am thinking flat black but wanted to check. I may powder coat the grill just to add a little snap but wanted the rest original (looking).
I know that the heater on my 53 came with black krinkle paint as the stock finish.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Justboy
That picture Edds posted got me wondering about something. My truck has no heater fitted but has done in the past with a hole through the firewall which I assume was for the fresh air type you mentioned. But is it supposed to demist the inside of the windshield because there are no vents there? I'd normally expect the air to duct into 2 fishtails and distribute air along the bottom of the screen.
The heater pictured cannot draw any outside air, it recirculates inside air only. The two duct ports shown direct air to defrost vents. None of the duct components are shown in the photo. I assume that all cabs had the vent holes in the passenger side cowl. A gasketted metal plate closed off the vent hole if a recirculating heater was used.The **** set up appears not to belong to this heater, because the **** for "air" would have been the one that let you chose between fresh outside air or recirculated cab air.

Last edited by jvmcc; 04-04-2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
What I mean is that I cannot see where the fishtail vents would exit in the cab (Items 14890). There are no visible slots along the panel below the windshield where air could flow. If you have any photo pointing them out I'd be very grateful.

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
I am pretty sure that a '55 should have vent holes like this. If they are not there, then something strange is going on. I have a hard time believing that Ford would use a different dash panel just for a defroster option.

Last edited by jvmcc; 04-04-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Perfect. Thanks for that. Seems that they may be blanked off where a heater wasn't fitted then. See mine...

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2016, 12:42 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
I see from your photo that the defroster diffuser is screwed onto the top of the dash by the windshield. I'd bet that if you took that diffuser off, you're going to find the defroster holes.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
That is definitely a recirc heater. Do the cables for the air and temp have someplace to hook up to? I am sure they don't. MidFifty does sell the decal with the words, fan, defroster, air and temp, written on them like the original. You could keep that four **** bracket with the two unused cables going nowhere.
I am going to switch the *****. If I keep all four it will be pointless and a waste of space. I wish I did research before getting the recirculating to find a fresh air but the recirculating ones do look nicer, and it was the only one on eBay. Also the guy said the core has no leaks, so once it arrives I'm going to take out the universal heater I have and put it on or if not I'll just keep it in the garage and wait until it's time to paint the truck to install the heater and paint it. The guy that sold me the truck covered the side vent with clothing, I wondered why there was random clothing but now I know why.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:12 AM
Edds
Senior User
Good news, I just got the heater. Looks like its in great shape, it just has surface rust.

Quick Reply: Need a heater assembly for a 54