1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm so excited!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:56 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'll do the same.After I posted last time I took a wire brush to some of the rusty spots on the outside and found quite a few pits.No pinholes but they were kinda deep.Truck Shop and LMC have new ones for 200 plus shipping.But if I put the tank out back that leaves me room for a tool box behind the seat or something to that effect.I plan on working the truck occasionally when I tear off a roof or somethin'.Puttin a tank between the rails out back won't be too hard to do.Maybe I'll throw some nice bucket seats in with that extra space .Thanks guys!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
Don't overlook a saddle tank.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Toby,
Listen to Wayne on this one. It's not worth it to mess with an old gas tank full of rust, pin holes, & stuff. We bought a mustang tank from Rock Auto for $120 & put it under the bed out back. Looking back after our build - I'd recommend replacing gas tanks, radiators, gas lines, & brake lines.

Hang in there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Thats awful good advice even if funds are an issue or what have you . It ends up cheaper in the long run 9-1/2 times out of 10 to do something right the first time . And Welcome to the Forum .

Old 11-04-2013, 08:03 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I like keeping the old trucks stock. I have had good luck with a radiator shop cleaning out and sealing gas tanks for me. Less expensive than a new tank, bolts back in where I took it out from, and no rust or leaks in 10 years. Just got the 5th or 6th tank cleaned by them last weekend.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Thanks for the advice guys,I plan on replacing the fuel and brake lines for sure.Prolly the M/C too.And a new tank is the best route to go,but I think I wanna try this electrolysis thing first.It'll cost me about 20 bucks to do it.Not that I'm cheap but the curiosity factor has got me.I guess they don't boil out tanks any more.One fella I talked to said he charged 150 to boil and seal them.Doin' this tank will be like an experiment for me sinceI'll prolly have other stuff to clean up later.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
From someone who has used the electrolysis rust removal process for years, I have to ask how you will get the rust from inside the tank? I've not been able to figure that one out yet. Of course, you'll find other uses for your electrolysis set up.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
still waiting for pictures !!!sounds like your having fun!!!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Smile

Sorry no pics yet,I know you guys like em but my camera's not home yet.The lens on my phone is all scratched up so it don't take so well.I had thot maybe using some of that gray foam pipe insulation to keep the electodes from touching the tank thru the filler neck hole and the sending unit hole. Gonna build a tub out of 2x4's and OSB and line it with some of that plastic they shrink wrap boats with.Heavy blue stuff prolly 8mils thick. I gotta finish building some cabinets this weekend so I'll have the shop warm so my glue will dry good,should help the tank cleaning a little ,I hope. That reminds me, I gotta bring some wood in,UGHH.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congratulations on your find and welcome! We will definitely need pictures because some of us here think F4s are off the charts! They are much less common and can do some real work, although a bit slower than their modern counterparts.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Well I got my camera now.Gonna head out to the farm and take some pics.Tried the electrolysis thing ,couldn't get it to work just yet,but I haven't given up .I'm kinda frustrated tho tryin' to find out which model, make and years of motorhomes have usable rims on them.Found a couple Winnebago's on craigs list but they want bookoo bucks for 'em.Maybe Stu the wheel guru can steer me in the right direction?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 271 Likes on 219 Posts
Look for 70s era Dodge or Ford based Class A motor homes. Could be any motor home brand. Stu

Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Thanks Stu. I was wondering about international school buses,I know a fella that has a couple .I had pulled an Alison trans out of one and put it into one of his one ton trucks. He had a tree service years ago. I spose I need to try and match tire size somewhat?Anyways thanks for the reply.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:46 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I like keeping the old trucks stock. I have had good luck with a radiator shop cleaning out and sealing gas tanks for me. Less expensive than a new tank, bolts back in where I took it out from, and no rust or leaks in 10 years. Just got the 5th or 6th tank cleaned by them last weekend.
If you can find a radiator shop who wants the business....the local shops here want $250 to clean and seal an old tank.

I bought a new tank for less from Speedway & it was here in a couple of days. There's also an ebay seller with free shipping.

By the way....I bought the new tank after I had cleaned and resealed my old tank with a POR kit. The solder joint for the flange of the sending unit was cracked & it leaked anyway. The radiator shop would have caught that, but at that time I had decided that a $79 POR gas tank kit was going to save me around $170 bucks. It didn't work out that way!

Dan

Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Hey Dan,Yeah I checked every shop in the phonebook and no one does it anymore.Too much of a pain.They were charging 150.For 200 I'll get a new one.I'm just curious as to whether or not I can do it.I like playin' the mad scientist out in the shop.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toby tough
Hey Dan,Yeah I checked every shop in the phonebook and no one does it anymore.Too much of a pain.They were charging 150.For 200 I'll get a new one.I'm just curious as to whether or not I can do it.I like playin' the mad scientist out in the shop.
The POR kit was really nice...if your tank is solid it'd work well. When mine started leaking I thought it was the sending unit. Other than that, the tank was very clean & I didn't have any fuel issues.

There is only one local shop that will still clean a gas tank here in San Jose. The rest only want to sell new radiators in a box.

Quick Reply: I'm so excited!