1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xmas ideas for workin on the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 AM
Tinker Toy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats what Im talkin about. !

Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted earlier from my phone and it didn't post for some reason... Bummer. It was a good one lol...
Anyways..
I picked up a Milwaulkee M12 3/8" ratchet,Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion 3/8 in. Cordless Ratchet Kit-2457-21 at The Home Depot 2 weeks ago, it works slick, it is nicer to use then an air ratchet and only has slightly less torque at 35 ft lbs compared to the 55-60 that my air one supposedly has ( I can't tell a difference really) but not having to drag around an air hose is NICE, especially since my truck that I am pulling the motor on is on the side of the house still. ( I am taking my sweet time on pulling it since I have been hoping and looking for a good used motor for cheap rather then rebuilding my current motor since I am limited on funds right now... kid #4 due in a month) Working days and nights doesn't help me have any extra time either... I hate being salary right now...
I love my 1/2" Ryobi impact, it works pretty good, I have had it for over a year now and it is still running strong. It will knock off truck lug nuts, and will break loose head bolts on my 7.3 with ease. The lithium batteries are best for it, as it will draw heavy if you are really straining it. It has 200ft lbs of torque, and it is only 99 bucks, plus the batteries... I have lots of the Ryobi tools so it makes since to go this route. It is not as strong as the Snap on for sure, but it is lots cheaper, and better then the cheap ones out there.

On the Werner platform, I have that one and like it, but I wish it was lower, I have a smaller one that I got from Harbor Freight that is half as high and it is about perfect for working on my stock height vehicles, I just wish it was longer like the Werner one, I have though of getting another Werner one and cutting it down to single step height, the second step high one is good for the lifted trucks and getting to the back of the engine though.

Another thing that I absolutely love is the LED work light that Home Depot has, Husky 5 ft. 800 Lumen Portable LED Work Light-WL800LP-H at The Home Depot I have 2 of them and use the heck out of them, I have bought 7 of them over the past year and gave 2 away last year for Christmas, I mounted 2 to my house for use as flood lights, and the other ones I added a 90lb magnet to with a bolt though the base flush with the feet, so I can use it at work or where ever, I have an inverter in my truck and since they only use hardly any power I have used them almost all night long before. With the magnet on them I have stuck them to the bottom of the hood and worked all night long last summer on my truck. It has plenty of light and the best part is.... it runs cool, you will not burn your self on it like a halogen or drop light. I just realized I have to go buy some more of them, my brother borrowed one, and kept it, and I left one at my Father in laws house since he was drooling over it and saying how much he wanted to get one, I tried to give it to him, but he wouldn't take it, I did take over his shop for 3 days this summer working on my X, so I left it stuck to the side of his alignment lift up over head height, when we left. He called a week later when he found it, and wanted to ship it to me, I told him it was his, and thanks for letting me use his shop.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Just a few of my favorite tools-

Snap On CT4410 3/8 electric impact... It's a beast, it will take off superduty lug nuts, but I don't recommend it for that!
CT4410A, Impact Wrench, Cordless, 14.4 Volt, Slide-on Battery, 3/8" Drive (U.S.)

I recommend the CT6850 for the lugs...
CT6850, Impact Wrench, Cordless, 18 Volt, Slide-on Battery, 1/2" Drive (U.S.)

Matco 3/8 Universal Impact Sockets. IMO the best universal sockets you can buy, splined not pinned.
3/8" DRIVE 10 PIECE METRIC 6 POINT UNIVERSAL IMPACT SOCKET SET SBUPM106TB | Matco Tools
I never leave home with out those these 3 items in my truck.

1/4" Drive set is nice too, but IMO you only need the 7mm, 8mm and maybe the 10mm if you have the 3/8 set above.
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...CT-SOCKET-SET/

For a 1/4" impact you can't beat the Bosch set for value, size and power.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-12-...6#.UnOlnOg1HY8

These under-hood work lights are great! I have an older matco fluorescent model, I bet the newer LED ones are even better.
LED UNDER HOOD LIGHT AC CORDED UHWLAC | Matco Tools

I bought a set of MAC double flex ratcheting wrenches ~6 years ago, but I can't find them online.. they are great if you can find them. I'll post a picture up later.

ACF6: What brand is that topside creeper? Does it fold up?

$290 on amazon prime looks good
Amazon.com: ATD Tools 8116F Foldable Topside Creeper: Automotive Amazon.com: ATD Tools 8116F Foldable Topside Creeper: Automotive

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
^^^ You have some expensive taste my friend....but I like it!

On another note, the topside creeper looks like it folds up.

Here is an example of one of the creepers that does fold up.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tx...FadFMgodLRMAyA

Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Those impacts and universals are pricey... but you should be able to get them cheaper on a truck. Luckily I bought them when I was in votech and got them at substantially discounted prices (like 50% off).

Once you've used those impacts, you'll never go back to dewalt again!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jstnromero
^^^ You have some expensive taste my friend....but I like it!

On another note, the topside creeper looks like it folds up.

Here is an example of one of the creepers that does fold up.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tx...FadFMgodLRMAyA
Amazon has that same one for $219

Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Amazon has that same one for $219
I was just trying to pull a website for the picture. Thanks for the heads up though!

My wife would kill me if I bought one right now. I am still in the penalty box for buying a new tool box.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM
TosaFords
Tuned
Originally Posted by Slowlearner
Those impacts and universals are pricey... but you should be able to get them cheaper on a truck. Luckily I bought them when I was in votech and got them at substantially discounted prices (like 50% off).

Once you've used those impacts, you'll never go back to dewalt again!
Then I guess for now I'll stick with my DeWalt impact since That stuff is way out of my price range.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
My wife doesn't know it yet but she just bought me a topside creeper. I got the Traxion 3-100 off Amazon. They are selling it for just under $160 right now plus there is a $5 off coupon you can click to save a bit more. It should be here Wednesday since I have Amazon prime and get 2 day shipping for free with it. I have been working on the 450 and about fell off the bumper stepping down the other day after the step kicked out on me. I still don't have the motor pulled but I just moved it to the concrete drive a week ago, then it started raining all last week. I also bought a 18 foot tilt bed car hauler trailer last week, I needed so I could haul my scissor lift around for work that I got 2 months ago. I think I have the World's most patient Wife.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:32 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Here is the link for the creeper.
Amazon.com: Traxion 3-100 Foldable Topside Creeper: Automotive Amazon.com: Traxion 3-100 Foldable Topside Creeper: Automotive

Last edited by Nsaan; 11-25-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: added link
Old 11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
I had been checking local craigslist ads for the topside creeper. I found one in NOVA for $100. When I went to amazon to price check it I saw the creeper you mentioned for $154 with amazon prime free two day shipping. Now it's sitting in my garage! Incredible price IMO, the shipping alone has to cost them $50

When I used to work in a shop, one of the other techs used to always use a power probe III. I borrowed it a number of times but I never got around to buying one for myself. It's on my wishlist this year!

Power Probe, Inc.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM
PSDlongbox
Elder User
Matco universals are the best. I have them in 3/8 and 1/2 inch variation. Can not be beat.