Sponsored by:

overhead console compass

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM
8vettes
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overhead console compass

compass and temperature reading no longer working in my 94 bronco overhead console. Map lights work perfectly on both sides . any ideas what;s wrong or how to fix. thanks for any help !

Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

I got the replacement oval assy with lights and module from eba salvage yard explorer. Lights are not as bright but everything works again.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 AM
broncoike
New User
overhead console temperature repair

Repair temperature reading no longer working in my 96 bronco overhead console. Map lights work perfectly on both sides . any ideas what;s wrong or how to fix. thanks for any help ![/QUOTE]

Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is gauge still displaying numbers? Like a temperature and direction? Or at least something like -88 or some display?

If the display is not working at all, then the internal computer or screen may have been destroyed. I can't recall if there are separate fuses to the display compared to the dome lights but it might be worth checking out too if you don't get a display at all.

Otherwise, if the display still works, it's possible your thermometer got damaged or the wiring is messed up. The thermometer should be mounted right under the drivers side part of the radiator.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:51 AM
broncoike
New User
the temperature displays oC what does that mean and how do I corrected

my overhead console temp displays oh and see what does that mean and how do I correct it

Old 02-16-2014, 04:03 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
If by "oh and see" you mean it displays OC on the console, that means there is an open circuit somewhere in temperature sensor wiring.

The wiring for the sensor should be up around your bumper near the radiator. There shouldn't be too many reasons for an open circuit because none of the wiring is in a "movable part" (ie door hinge) which may make finding the open circuit a little more difficult.

I would definitely check the sensor itself. Make sure the connection is good. Potentially it got dirt/debris in it so it is not completing the circuit back to the console. Otherwise the next thing I would do is trace the wiring back to see where there could be any damage. A multimeter would make the job less tedious if there really is a break in the wire. I suspect the sensor itself though.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 AM
richard1586
Cross-Country
My overhead console (96 Eddie Bauer) is also misbehaving. Usually the display will not "light up" as it should - bummer! If it sits for an extended period of time (two weeks, more or less) it may light up to the point where it appears to be trying to go through the "upload" screen, in other words, all lights are on. If I then try to set it up by pressing the adjustment tool or restart the engine, the light do not come on at all. This all started when I let it sit for a couple of months closed up and in the Florida summer months sun.

I got really excited when I found a shop in Texas that reconditions these modules until I contacted them and they informed me they did not work on the 1996 Ford units! Real bummer.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Hmm that doesn't sound like a normal error.. your computer in the console may be damaged. I could be wrong, but I believe the computer only displays two error messages, "SC" and "OC". You'd probably want to check the connection of the wiring harness to the console itself so see if maybe it got loose or something.

Otherwise you may need a new computer in the console. If the computer is broken, Bronco ones are kind of hard to come by, and usually pretty expensive. However, an explorer computer will bolt right up on the inside and they are pretty common. My bronco computer didn't work correctly, so I swapped it with an explorer one I had. The wiring may have to be slightly changed though, and you'll want the explorer temperature sensor.

If that's something you're interested in I could try to find the work I did and some write-ups I found to help walk you through the process.

Edit: Well upon searching the classifieds, someone is selling a bronco overhead console that is complete. So you may want to check out that part of the forums, its pretty cheap for a bronco one! Otherwise you can find explorer consoles in junkyards all the time. That's where I got mine.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM
richard1586
Cross-Country
Thanks for the lead on that console, Bubba!

Although you have a really nice looking Bronco now have you ever considered a paint job and, if so, what color combo do you think you would go with?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Well I have thought about it. My paint was fading badly a couple of years ago, so I borrowed a paint gun and painted the faded spots myself the factory color. It turned out pretty well, so I considered painting more of the areas with flawed paint on my truck.

Because I painted it not too long ago, I won't be changing the color anytime soon. If I did paint it another color, I would probably go with the two tone Red/Tan Eddie Bauer style, or all black. The bad thing about changing color is, the interior needs to be painted too to look really match. Because I'm kinda OCD, I would need to paint the entire truck, even underneath, which would take a LONG time!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM
bigbeardbiii
Freshman User
I have a '95 Bronco EB edition. My compass/temp did not work when purchased it. I took apart & the board is badly burnt on the right rear so the soldering fix will not work in my case. I then purchased a NOS off E-Bay & they sent me an Explorer compass (NOT the one they had listed). So, then I bought another one (used) off E-bay. The numbers matched but it was fried on right rear almost as bad as mine was (& I specifically asked the guy before purchase if it worked and he stated "Yes" (what a crock of *****)!!!! So, needless to say, after waiting on these two purchases to arrive, only for them to be NOT correct, I NEED another direction!! So, I thought, I might could use an Explorer compass & light combo by getting the right plug & play between the two & place them into my EB overhead console. Can somebody PLEASE tell me if that would work? I have researched them and they have the same main male plug (8 pin (5 on top, 2 on bottom right & 1 one bottom left) so I think I'm good there but does the Bronco and Explorer's use different outside ambient temp. sensor's (which would mean also having to find one of them & switch them out)? Thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
What's this overhead console thingamabob? Got pics? I've got a 3 (or is it 4) plug wire coming from my headliner to my basic rearview mirror. Been wondering what that plug is for

Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
You haven't seen an overhead console ZombieSlayer?

I just sent bigbeardbiii a PM explaining a lot of stuff and was going to post it here too but I don't know how to access my responses in PMS! Oh well, hopefully that helps him out.

Anyways, are you saying that you have wires plugged into your rear view mirror and go up and under you headliner? Or are you saying that there is a wiring harness that isn't plugged into anything hanging down next to your rear view mirror?

I don't remember the EXACT wiring for this stuff, but from what I rememebr it's something similar to this:

The yellow for sure goes from the overhead console down behind the parking brake pedal and plugs into a larger vehicle wiring harness.

Now I can't remember if the rear view mirror and side view mirrors are part of the main overhead console wiring harness, or a separate harness altogether. I also don't remember exactly if the rear view mirror wires are part of the side view mirror wiring harness either... however I'm pretty sure they are as described in the picture.

ANYWAYS, if you have wiring coming down from the headliner to the rear view mirror like in my picture, then that wiring is in place for the dimming feature of powered rear view mirrors. If you see a small hole (as circled in red on my picture) at the bottom (or potentially top, I may have installed my mirror upsidedown), then you have an auto dimming mirror. If you do have an auto dimming mirror, you should also have a button (either on the top or bottom) of the rear view mirror to turn the function on or off.

Also, if you have this wiring in place, I wouldn't be surprised if you have the wiring for an overhead console in place also if you don't have the console installed. The plug for the overhead console will be underneath the headliner near the front. If you don't have the wiring harness, you should have a plug for the harness near the parking brake pedal towards the firewall that I mentioned earlier.

However, this is assuming your bronco is 94+. I don't believe there is any plug or wiring for an overhead console for broncos older than 94s.

Edit, okay your signature says 95 so you should at least have the plug for the wiring harness near behind the parking brake.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:38 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
I've got the "green" harness hanging behind my rear view mirror My mirror is just some stock one without any holes or buttons.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Oh okay, well if that's the case you could easily add an autodimming one since the wiring is there. It's pretty easy to add. To take the old one out, you just need a very small flat tipped screwdriver and put it into a hole where the old one mounts. It lets the old mirror slide out and you can slide the new one in place. I really like the auto dimming function, especially when I'm on the highway and people don't understand that its common courtesy to turn your brights off when you are behind someone.

Do your sun visors have mirrors with lights?

Quick Reply: overhead console compass